Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Suspension noise update

tyrone

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
06 red xlr
Awhile back I was discuss a clicking noise in my xlr at low speeds, stop and start, stress on the suspension. Got it solve today. The Caddie dealer used microphones on all four corners to determind to location of the noise, which was the right rear hub. The nut was tight but, had chaffing on the mounting surface. It moved. They got two new nuts and thread lock them on. Noise gone.:) Too many WOT while passing , :wave:bye. Just came back from a road trip thru eastern Wash, Idaho and Montana. Not in a hurry so, I used my cruise control most of the time...50 mph-65 mph. I got between 28.8 and 30.6. Don`t need no stinkin econo car. Besides those little things can tailgate you level ground but, they can`t pass you on a grade. Made me smile. A little fire east of Lewiston on HWY 12.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 366
I have been pleasantly surprised at how good the fuel mileage is on my XLR when making a highway run.

Performance, style and great mileage!

WOW!

Awhile back I was discuss a clicking noise in my xlr at low speeds, stop and start, stress on the suspension. Got it solve today. The Caddie dealer used microphones on all four corners to determind to location of the noise, which was the right rear hub. The nut was tight but, had chaffing on the mounting surface. It moved. They got two new nuts and thread lock them on. Noise gone.:) Too many WOT while passing , :wave:bye. Just came back from a road trip thru eastern Wash, Idaho and Montana. Not in a hurry so, I used my cruise control most of the time...50 mph-65 mph. I got between 28.8 and 30.6. Don`t need no stinkin econo car. Besides those little things can tailgate you level ground but, they can`t pass you on a grade. Made me smile. A little fire east of Lewiston on HWY 12.

The next time you take a road trip like this, turn 'OFF' the 'Traction Control' while using the ACC, that gives me 2 mpg better mileage.
I found out about that with my 04 Chevy Impala.

On my road trip last year, I also tried something that I don't recommend unless you're driving alone (because it makes the passenger REALLY NERVOUS) but it kicked my gas mileage up another 2 mpg.
With the ACC 'ON' and the distance set to min., follow CLOSE behind a 18 wheeler that has a big trailer and set the ACC for about 5 mph faster than the truck is going. With the TC 'OFF' and 'Drafting' trucks I actually got my mpg up to 33 to 34 mpg. Just remember to reset your Average MPG in the DIC to 0 and you have to drive for atleast 20 miles without touching the gas or brake before the computer will average your mpg.
I try to find the truck that's going faster than others and draft it. It's like a Traveling Game. You follow one truck until another one passes us then I follow that one.
What a GREAT INVENTION our ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) is!

Yes I would see why your passenger would be "on edge".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it true that the V-series cars do not have ACC?

One of the main reasons I'm glad to have a base rather than a V. I DO enjoy my ACC... except when it says, "Clean Radar Cruise" and it won't engage. I then make sure when I gas up, I clean the area that the ACC "sees" through.

Yes I agree. Would rather have the acc then higher engine. The base has enough horses for me.

suspension noise update

Other than closing the car door and starting it up, I turning the traction control off. ALWAYS. Having it on almost got me killed. It was made for people who should be driving "girlie" cars.

I to always turn off the traction control. I might put it on if I ever get caught in rain. As for trading the acc for a V. I'm in who wants to trade I have under 10k on her and the acc is brand new barely used. I'm always passing them why would you wanna pace behind someone.

The next time you take a road trip like this, turn 'OFF' the 'Traction Control' while using the ACC, that gives me 2 mpg better mileage.
I found out about that with my 04 Chevy Impala.

On my road trip last year, I also tried something that I don't recommend unless you're driving alone (because it makes the passenger REALLY NERVOUS) but it kicked my gas mileage up another 2 mpg.
With the ACC 'ON' and the distance set to min., follow CLOSE behind a 18 wheeler that has a big trailer and set the ACC for about 5 mph faster than the truck is going. With the TC 'OFF' and 'Drafting' trucks I actually got my mpg up to 33 to 34 mpg. Just remember to reset your Average MPG in the DIC to 0 and you have to drive for atleast 20 miles without touching the gas or brake before the computer will average your mpg.
I try to find the truck that's going faster than others and draft it. It's like a Traveling Game. You follow one truck until another one passes us then I follow that one.
What a GREAT INVENTION our ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) is!

Over the drafting, but what does TC have to do with it???

Thanks Dan Gouker

Sorry!! But no!! I'll take my V over the acc any day!!

I HATE acc! Not interested in something that slams on the brakes, puts up a crash symbol, & almost wrecks me out of the blue because it picked up a car going the other way on the opposite side of the road.

I like to use the cruise control a lot on side roads & it's not possible with acc. Unfortunately I prefer to control my cruising myself!

I HATE acc! Not interested in something that slams on the brakes, puts up a crash symbol, & almost wrecks me out of the blue because it picked up a car going the other way on the opposite side of the road.

I like to use the cruise control a lot on side roads & it's not possible with acc. Unfortunately I prefer to control my cruising myself!

I am wondering if you ACC is out of alignment (is that possible?) The only time I have had any trouble is if I am on curving roads. Once a guard rail as I was going thru left hand sweep freaked the car (and me) out and another time a transport coming the other way on a very slight right curve as he passed me going the other way. I have also had a transport truck in the right lane going in the same direction as I effect it but for the most part I LOVE my ACC!

If you touch the gas or brake pedal the ACC will DISENGAGE so you now have full control of the car but if you let off the gas it start controlling your speed again, unless you hit the brake then you must manually reset the ACC AGAIN!

Thanks Dan Gouker

If you touch the gas or brake pedal the ACC will DISENGAGE so you now have full control of the car but if you let off the gas it start controlling your speed again, unless you hit the brake then you must manually reset the ACC AGAIN!

Thanks Dan Gouker

Mine only disengages when I touch the brake. not when I use the gas pedal. When I want to want to make a point of passing a car, I can step on the gas. But when I take my foot off the gas pedal, the speed reverts to what the cruise was set at originally, I don't have to reset it.

Mine only disengages when I touch the brake. not when I use the gas pedal. When I want to want to make a point of passing a car, I can step on the gas. But when I take my foot off the gas pedal, the speed reverts to what the cruise was set at originally, I don't have to reset it.

Yep mine to I guess we are just explaining it differently that what I was trying to say too Rod! Lol

Thanks Dan Gouker

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry