Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

System Too Lean. Code P0174 --- 'Murphys Law'

CNC

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist XLR & 79' Eldorado Convert
Took Goldie out for a run and up through the mountains yesterday with my wife and T.J. to see the Aspens In Color now that Fall has arrived in The Rockies. Beautiful day, mid 70's. Colors were amazing. Seas of yellow Aspens against dark green Evergreen Forests. Top down cruising. :) Then on the way back she threw a code. :( Check engine light came on. Scanned it when I got home and code P104. "System too lean". So now the diagnostics start. Check for vacuum leaks manifold and other fittings and any hoses. Check to make sure intake manifold bolts are tight. Before the light came on we were sitting at a light idling and I notice the engine started to stumble a bit? Then the light came on. Yet it smoothed out after driving a bit more? Temporarily plugged injector(s)? So I will also put my fuel pressure tester on the Schrader Valve and see what PSI I have? 02 Sensor(s)? Will run good fuel injector cleaner through her. Remove and clean The MAS. Before tackling the 02 Sensors, I will rule everything else out first. Also check out my gas cap to make sure it is sealing? I do not run an oiled K&N Air Filter, but know that for those of you that do, the oil 'may' coat The MAS also causing this code. --- With a few vehicles in possession, it is "always' something it seems with one of them, or two or more at the same time. Have never figured out how or why, something will break all by itself? Just part of the deal I guess. :dunno: :cool:

Had this similar experience 2 times before too, turns out easy fix just gas cap not on tight....... although can't remember for sure, but thought it shows a message check gas cap! Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles 'Breaking' Oh well.

Had this similar experience 2 times before too, turns out easy fix just gas cap not on tight....... although can't remember for sure, but thought it shows a message check gas cap! Good Luck!

Totally agree. Look at the simple stuff first. "IF" I had a Tec II Scanner, you'd be correct. It would give the code 'and identify' (Ex.) "Gas Cap". Alas, I do not have a Tec II Scanner. Just an OBD II. Which did show this code.

Now at the same time, the exhaust manifold(s) cracked somehow on my truck? Have two new ones I got on eBay for $600.00 aftermarket replacements made by Dorman. Supposed to be better than the factory ones and an identical OEM Replacement. Bad part is to get the old ones off, and the new ones in, I have to unbolt the motor mounts and trans mount and raise the engine some after first disconnecting everything else in order to get them off. Getting the heat shields off is the hardest part I have been told. Soak everything first in penetrating oil. Ugh. I anticipate some bloody knuckles on this one. :rolleyes:The dealer wants $1,000.00 labor to install the new ones. So, I will "do it myself". Flat rate manual says 1 1/2 days labor. At the same time I will change the oil and filter, do a trans drain and flush with new filter, and the rear diff and transfer case + new spark plugs as it is "due" for this service. So I anticipate the truck being on jack stands for about 3ea., 8hr. days for all work. Now the control switch for the heater/ac control in the dash is acting up. So must take it apart and clean all the contacts. :( Never a dull moment. :)

Then, a few weeks ago I was relining the rear brakes on my wife's SUV, and noticed roughness in the rear wheel hub bearing assemblies. Sealed units. Their interior bearings are "on their way out". So the new ones obtained at Rock Auto are sitting on the shelf in the garage. Need to do Diff front and rear fluid flushes on hers also, + trans. It's due also.

Then the fuel pump in The Eldorado Convertible took a dump. The new one w. new filter is sitting on the shelf next to the rear hub bearings for her 4X4 SUV. Also obtained at Rock Auto. At least it is a simple job mounted externally on the frame rail.

On my XLR I (back in the garage under her soft car cover : ) am sure hoping it isn't the 02 Sensors causing the 'Lean' code. They are a bit pricy. --- Yet, I'll get the daily drivers done first, then tackle the 'fun' vehicles.
;)

Sounds like .....If weren't for bad luck you have no luck at all!.... LOL

Things Just Break & I'm Annal : )

Sounds like .....If weren't for bad luck you have no luck at all!.... LOL

Kind of true, yet I have been accused (accurately) of hearing things breaking or going wrong as they are doing so, and in process. I am a fanatic about maintaining our vehicles to 100% operational condition. As in "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". :cool: Other than the out and out failure of the exhaust manifolds on the truck, the rest is preventative maintenance for the most part. Same on the SUV. --- Like the bumper sticker kind of says, "Stuff Happens".

Yup I have my ole 2001 Ford Sport Trac with 180k on er and with good maintenance she still runs along great!

Haveing the same "bad" luck with my 05 XLR base have replaced the Maf,map,air filters, air diffuser throttle body and gasket check for leaks and still can not get rid of the dam P0174 code am calling an XLR expert here in Phoenix to maybe get a reflash the ecm have a tech 2 but to complicated to find with is causing the code.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom