Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tail Light Bulbs

danno58

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Zenon Blue
I love the XLR's taillights, but I didn't foresee this. I have one bulb out on the passenger side. Bothers the hell out of me. Is it a difficult replacement and does anyone know the replacement bulb p/n?

I love the XLR's taillights, but I didn't foresee this. I have one bulb out on the passenger side. Bothers the hell out of me. Is it a difficult replacement and does anyone know the replacement bulb p/n?

I had the same thing when I first bought my '05 XLR, two years ago. It just eventually went away (now all lights light up). My understanding is that to get all lights to light up - you need to replace the entire taillamp assembly (they are LED's, not bulbs). Give it some time and see if they start working again... Gizmo's 3rd Brake light tends to have some of the lights light up sometimes, and sometimes not (I've had the opportunity to follow Gizmo several times :rocker:)

Good luck.

LED's can be replaced individually but it may be nearly impossible to to open up the tail light assembly without destroying it. :(
My son replaced all the LED's in the dash of his truck with blue ones: it looks wicked cool but he spent hours doing it; but that is different, these were interrior applications. I have never removed my tail light assemblies but I am going to guess that they are totally sealed etc.

Didn't realize that the whole assy would have to be replaced

There are companies like lightwerkz that are experienced in taking the assembly apart and re-sealing it. It may be cheaper to see if they can do it than replace the whole thing. Be careful though..... I think they are from NJ :chuckle

I had the same thing when I first bought my '05 XLR, two years ago. It just eventually went away (now all lights light up). My understanding is that to get all lights to light up - you need to replace the entire taillamp assembly (they are LED's, not bulbs). Give it some time and see if they start working again... Gizmo's 3rd Brake light tends to have some of the lights light up sometimes, and sometimes not (I've had the opportunity to follow Gizmo several times :rocker:)

Way to blast me there, Dave! :laugh: Yes in automotive applications, the LEDS are subject to conditions not normal for small sensitive solder joints. I had custom LED tail lights built for my Eldorado, too. that matched what we have on the XLRs and the solder joints just wouldn't hold up to daily driving.

I really should get in there and resolder that that brake light. :naughty:

There are several folks on the internet that can handle the the repair, but, then you're stuck with them if it should ever fail again. (I had to send back my Eldorado tails three times, and I still have 2 LEDs out of the 160 in each housing that are loose).

I just had this same issue. A Ford f-250 backed into my wife in a parking lot a couple weeks ago. Fortunately only the tail light was broken. It could have been a whole other problem if the trunk had been hit! I opted to have it repaired at a very trusted body shop, since it was an insurance claim. The left side taillamp assembly lists for $610. GM had none in stock, and dealers across the country had 4 in stock. Long story but happy ending: final bill was about $720. !! Good luck. I have the old light; it is sealed but I'm going to try to open it!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom