Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

THE END

that the plant and holding lots are completely empty of cars(XLR and Corvette). Normally during any shut down there will still be cars on the lines waiting to be assembled and cars in the holding lots waiting to be shipped.

When is the end of a reporting quarter for GM? This a trick that some companies do. I was a production scheduler for a plant, and when we were having $'s problems,, every reporting quarter "they" would tell me to run my dept. empty! That would mean, NO raw materials and ALL finish products out the door! That way no inventory or in process $'s!! Made the balance sheets look real good!! Looks good for investors and banks!! Personal,, I think it cost more $'s in the end, and it was a b---h to do!

Chad

The plant has been down for a while. When the plant is down, it does not stop the shipping of produced products to dealers. Plus, the plant probably made some production set-up changes during the down time and they did not want a bunch of cars half-built along the lines. Clearing the main assembly lines is the way to go, if significant changes are to be done. Plus as said above, these units show as produced and sold.

SilverX

Even the cars on the line? Do they finish all the work "in progress" before shutdown?

There are no cars in the plant being built. It is empty and will be for a while. The holding lots are empty. All builds were finished before the Dec. shut down. There are no hourly assembly workers working @ this time. You can only get a new Corvette or XLR from dealer stock (which is the reason for the shut down,too many units).

Bruce :patriot:

Most of the plants run on a "as needed" basis with the parts to assemble the vehicles. There is very little stocking of parts @ the plants.

I guess it's a good thing that Rendevous IV has been planned for San Antonio .... obviously Cadillac won't be too eager to entertain XLR owners anymore! Those of us that were able to attend the Rendezvous in BG have some very unique memories now - and I guess - never to be repeated. :blinzel:

If it is true that the factory is empty of both XLR's and Corvette's .... could that mean that the Corvette is also under consideration to have a suspended year or so? :confused:

CadillacTech .... you work for a dealer .... without jeopardizing yourself, are you able to confirm any of these rumors??

XLR & XLR-V production numbers? I would be interested in seeing the numbers broken down by each year of the XLR and XLR-V.

You asked for it, you got it!!! ;)

PS: I went through this when Dodge ended Magnum production last year. People seem to admire mine more now than ever!! :drool:
As far as mine being a collectible or classic - I should live so long!!! :bawling:
I didn't see a Magnum or an XLR at Barrett-Jackson this year!!

Sorry to hear the XLR is going bye-bye ... Itz such a beautiful vehicle! Unfortunately, I don't see the used car value doing anything but the continued downward spiral it has shown. I'm not convinced people (at this stage of the game) will be willing to pay a premium for a vehicle out of production and soon, warranty.

BTW- Insurance for my base XLR is $1250 in Taxachusetts.

Thanks for the production numbers... I don't expect that the XLR is going to become an instant collector or that the price is going to skyrocket overnight. However, the considerably less than 3000 XLR-V's produced during it's entire run is going to have an impact. The low production numbers alone make it what I would call a great "speculator" car.

My prediction is that the XLR (especially the XLR-V) is going to be a car to watch. Everyone knows that the first thing you look at when determining the value of a collector car is it's total production numbers. Bare in mind that the XLR is not being killed because it's not a great looking, highly dependable, high performance roadster that nobody wants. It's being killed because it's a domestic 2 seater with a 6 figure price tag. Before the 2009 Corvette ZR1, the XLR-V was the most expensive car GM made and to make things worse, nobody ever heard of it. Most in the market to spend 6 figures on a sports car are looking at the exotics like Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari.

All I'm saying is that if it's true and the XLR is done after this model year, it's going to be interesting to see what happens to the car in the next 5 or 10 years. Predicting which cars are going to be hot and which ones are not is like predicting the stock market. However, I give the XLR a better than average shot at becoming a hot collector.

I'm sure most of you have already read this, but for those who haven't... http://blog.cardomain.com/2008/01/30/top-10-future-c/

I don't expect that the XLR is going to become an instant collector or that the price is going to skyrocket overnight.

True! I hesitate to admit it, but, one of the strongest features that makes the XLR-V attractive to me is that it seems to be a GREAT VALUE!! The chance to own an over $100K near-exotic, that is only three years old and under warranty, for the price of a new Honda sedan is hard to resist!!

This month on ebay, a beautiful one-owner, non-smoker, 2006 XLR-V with only 12,987 miles on it, was listed by a dealer with a 'Buy It Now' price of $54,985! It received six bids, BUT, the HIGHEST bid was only $20,101!!!! :(
Four other 2006 XLR-V listings were priced in the low $40K range, but had their highest bids in the low $30K range!!!!
Of 27 recent XLR-V listings on ebay, NONE have been sold!!!!
Now may indeed be a great time to buy one, or to wait for the hoped for asking prices to get down to the real world market prices!!
:bash:

PS: I am a 'car guy', and keep abreast of the 'latest and greatest', but until last month I had never heard of a Cadillac XLR!! If I had, I would have most likely dismissed it as another version of some bloated sedan or huge SUV!!
XLR! What a stupid name! What does XLR mean?? 'Extra Large Roadster'??!! And, is the XLR-V the longer wheelbase 'Very Extra Large Roadster' version??!!
Little explanation is needed by someone who owns a Viper, a Mustang, a Cougar, a Hemi, a Firebird, a Barracuda, a Magnum, a Prowler, or, for that matter, a Rabbit!!
Great car, but the marketing dept must be full of former Fiat salesmen!!
:banghead:

PPS: Who would have thought back in 1957, one of the few years that Ford outsold Chevy, that 50 years later the '57 Chevy would be so immensely popular while the '57 Ford is seldom even seen!!

The marketing department always seem to miss the boat- did you see the newer posts about the Concept Cadillac called the WTF?!? :rolleyes:

Supposedly, the name XLR came from:

X: We've been told it's an "X" body car, even though EVERYTHING I have from GM says it's a "Y" body platform. Whatever....
L: Luxury
R: Roadster

I can't debate the last 2. YLR sounds almost as bad as WTF, so someone must have realized X was pretty close to Y.

the Concept Cadillac called the WTF?!?

I would translate it as "What The F***" is that!!!! :dunno:

PS: My translucent crystal ball shows:

The XLR will disappear. If you want a GM roadster, buy a Corvette! :mad:

The STS will be eclipsed by the CTS. Smaller and cheaper. :wave:

The Northstar V8 will disappear. :bawling: Too complex and expensive to build. Note that the CTS-V has a Chevy engine, and no Northstar is offered in the CTS because the DI V6 has about the same HP.

The CTS will add a 4-door convertible :)pukeface:), a coupe :)bowdown:), and a wagon :)worship:) to lure folks out of the huge SUV.

The DTS will be limited production for limos and hearses. :sleeping:

A lot of talk about electrics and other wild stuff, but no production until GM starts making money again or gas prices skyrocket.
:patriot:

I thought a Magnum was a PI:laugh:I was trying to figure out what to call my V now and I came up with the name Relic or has been, but I still love to wait at a light for one of those below to pull up and try to spread it's wings.
Little explanation is needed by someone who owns a Viper, a Mustang, a Cougar, a Hemi, a Firebird, a Barracuda, a Magnum, a Prowler, or, for that matter, a Rabbit!! .

I guess it's a good thing that Rendevous IV has been planned for San Antonio .... obviously Cadillac won't be too eager to entertain XLR owners anymore! Those of us that were able to attend the Rendezvous in BG have some very unique memories now - and I guess - never to be repeated. :blinzel:

If it is true that the factory is empty of both XLR's and Corvette's .... could that mean that the Corvette is also under consideration to have a suspended year or so? :confused:

CadillacTech .... you work for a dealer .... without jeopardizing yourself, are you able to confirm any of these rumors??

Nothing has been confirmed.

Bruce :)

Anybody know where I can find the XLR & XLR-V production numbers? I would be interested in seeing the numbers broken down by each year of the XLR and XLR-V.

Click on the Model Center tab in the navigation bar above. I believe this may what you're looking for.

If the rumors are in fact true, then it's a shame. On the other hand, it's also understandable.

The car comes with a hefty price tag, and once again, GM's short sightedness and pathetic Marketing dept. fail to have any vision or motivation behind them.

The Corvette has become a halo car for the Chevrolet brand and all of GM. The Cadillac XLR had the same potential.

Had they given the car a more reasonable price tag, and continued to give it engineering updates to more properly compete with European competition, the XLR could have been a more successful platform than it has been.

Instead, GM wasted time and money giving it pretty little side vents that are the equivalent of Lee Press On Nails.

This car had such potential, and GM dropped it like a hot potato - just like they did with the C4 ZR-1 and many other brands.

What a shame. :(

Hmmm, well, actually now we can kind of differentiate the years of the XLR's (from distance) ... 4's & 5's have the warts .... 6, 7, and 8's could be either a regular or V (wartless & ventless) ... and the vents only on the 9's ... :blinzel:

Hmmm, well, actually now we can kind of differentiate the years of the XLR's (from distance) ... 4's & 5's have the warts .... 6, 7, and 8's could be either a regular or V (wartless & ventless) ... and the vents only on the 9's ... :blinzel:

And don't forget the grills are not the same on the V as on the XLR. I received an email from the Chicago dealer with some super prices for the 09 and left over 08. Taking over $20,000 off the 09 V. Tempting. First Robin

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom