Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

TINTED WINDSCREENS????

Phil105

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR base
Has anyone here applied window tint to their Wind Restrictor windscreen?

Am I the only one who's considered this? no comments??? odd:dunno:

must be

I'd think with it tinted, it'd be hard to see out of!! I'd think with the top up and that tinted, it'd be impossible to see out thru the rearview mirror. Wouldn't it?

I'd think with it tinted, it'd be hard to see out of!! I'd think with the top up and that tinted, it'd be impossible to see out thru the rearview mirror. Wouldn't it?

Shouldn't be any different than tinted windows. I honestly can't imagine it being any worse than those driving around with this screen lit up red or blue or whatever. And the tint would be very easy to remove if that is a problem though. Going to have to try it and see.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be any different than tinted windows.

Yea, but the windows are tinted (a little from factory) and with the screen tinted. Double tinting! Plus,,, with it tinted dark, wouldn't it reflect light back making it harder to see thru? My screen is clear and it still reflects some light back.

Yea, but the windows are tinted (a little from factory) and with the screen tinted. Double tinting! Plus,,, with it tinted dark, wouldn't it reflect light back making it harder to see thru? My screen is clear and it still reflects some light back.

Guess I won't know till I try. And, as I said, it's very easy to peel the tint off if it's a problem - I just think the tint will look good on my car (gold mist) and as I seldom drive it at night, it should be even less a problem. During the winter months when the top will seldom be down, I'd just take the screen out.

Tinting

Has anyone here applied window tint to their Wind Restrictor windscreen?

The only fault I have with my 08 XLR is the very dark tint someone put on side and rear windows. It affects the auto dimming mirror function I am told. With the Factory fabric windscreen installed, I cannot see anything behind the vehicle when backing up at night.
Window tinting is NOT easy to remove from what I have read.
Mine is very dark and I have to lower a window to give someone the #1 driver sign...

Perhaps you are thinking of using a cheap form of vinyl tint or overlay that is easily removable. It would be a good idea to try that first.

USE A BLOW DRYER

The only fault I have with my 08 XLR is the very dark tint someone put on side and rear windows. It affects the auto dimming mirror function I am told. With the Factory fabric windscreen installed, I cannot see anything behind the vehicle when backing up at night.
Window tinting is NOT easy to remove from what I have read.
Mine is very dark and I have to lower a window to give someone the #1 driver sign...

Perhaps you are thinking of using a cheap form of vinyl tint or overlay that is easily removable. It would be a good idea to try that first.

Window tinting CAN be easily removed with a blow dryer and yes, I am planning to use a CHEAP form of vinyl as is used in most every window tint shop across the country. And am not planning on a dark "hooptie" tint - just enough to color the Lexan. Thanks for your input.

Now THAT dark of a tint is UNACCEPTABLE!

But it looks so good and makes any color look better. :cool:Seeing out at night not so good:(

Dropped off at tint shop this morning. Doing a 45% tint - about like wearing sunglasses - not too dark - just enough to know it's tinted. :cool: Will look good on the Gold Mist!

Phil,
Of course we will need pictures of the complete project. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45% TINT

Phil,
Of course we will need pictures of the complete project. Looking forward to seeing the results.

well, it's done and I like it! 45% tint on plain screen - no etching.
One side benefit that I especially like is with the tint on, it made that white-looking sanded edge of the screen disappear.

ALSO OF GREAT IMPORTANCE TO SOME: I believe you can still see the one finger salute thru it if the need arises!

IMG_0067.jpgIMG_0066.JPGIMG_0065.jpgIMG_0075.jpg

Last edited:
I had mine tinted when I had the side windows only done I think mine is 35 % I did the in side to reduce help reduce the night time brightness inside the carImageUploadedByTapatalk1445471047.869447.jpg

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry