Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Tire pressure sensor

black xrlv

My XLR/V(s)
2008 black and black
I have replaced the tires on my XLRV. They are the same size tires as original. They are Continental all season non run flats that are fully inflated at 30 PSI. The original run flats were fully inflated at 35 PSI. Therefore the tire sensor alarm is set for tires with 35 PSI. Not sure of the tolerance between fully inflated and when the alarm goes off? Is there a way to change the tire sensor alarm to allow for a 30 PSI tire? Thanks in advance?

I run continental non run flats as well and I have them set at 26psi cold with no alerts. Mine alerts @ 24 psi "Low Tire"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only low/over pressure notification appears in your DIC. The system uses the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), body control module (BCM), powertrain control module (PCM), 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors inside each wheel/tire assembly, and a class 2 serial data circuit to perform the system functions. If the TPM system detects a tire pressure above 289 kPa (42 psi), the HIGH TIRE PRESSURE warning message is displayed. If the system senses a tire pressure between 34–172 kPa (5–25 psi), the LOW TIRE PRESSURE warning message is displayed. And if the system senses below 34 kPa (5 psi), the FLAT TIRE warning message is displayed. After this message, 2 chimes will sound followed by the message MAX SPEED 55 MPH. The next message to appear is REDUCED HANDLING. The TPM system can also compensate for high and low altitudes using the PCM's barometric pressure sensor via a class 2 serial data circuit. The RCDLR has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM system. Any malfunctions detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR warning message.

The sensors are not "set" to a certain pressure, they only report the pressure in each tire.

From Owner's Manual:
Tire Pressure Monitor System
The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System on your
vehicle, uses radio and sensor technology to check tire
pressure levels. Sensors, mounted on each tire and
wheel assembly transmit tire pressure readings to
a receiver located in the vehicle. The TPM sensors
transmit tire pressure readings once every 60 seconds
while the vehicle is being driven and once every
60 minutes when the vehicle is stationary for more than
15 minutes. Using the Driver Information Center (DIC),
tire pressure levels can be viewed by the driver.
The TPM system also uses the DIC to warn the driver
when air pressure, in one or more tires, falls below
25 psi (172 kPa) or is above 42 psi (290 kPa).
For additional information and details about the DIC
operation and displays see DIC Controls and Displays
on page 3-64 and DIC Warnings and Messages on
page 3-67.
A low tire warning light also appears on the instrument
panel cluster when a low tire condition exists. The
DIC message, CHECK TIRE PRESSURE and the low
tire pressure warning light will be shown each time
the engine is started and stay on until the low tire
condition is corrected.

TIRE MONITOR PROBLEMS CAN I TURN THEM OFF

CAN
The only low/over pressure notification appears in your DIC. The system uses the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), body control module (BCM), powertrain control module (PCM), 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors inside each wheel/tire assembly, and a class 2 serial data circuit to perform the system functions. If the TPM system detects a tire pressure above 289 kPa (42 psi), the HIGH TIRE PRESSURE warning message is displayed. If the system senses a tire pressure between 34–172 kPa (5–25 psi), the LOW TIRE PRESSURE warning message is displayed. And if the system senses below 34 kPa (5 psi), the FLAT TIRE warning message is displayed. After this message, 2 chimes will sound followed by the message MAX SPEED 55 MPH. The next message to appear is REDUCED HANDLING. The TPM system can also compensate for high and low altitudes using the PCM's barometric pressure sensor via a class 2 serial data circuit. The RCDLR has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM system. Any malfunctions detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR warning message.

The sensors are not "set" to a certain pressure, they only report the pressure in each tire.

From Owner's Manual:
Tire Pressure Monitor System
The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System on your
vehicle, uses radio and sensor technology to check tire
pressure levels. Sensors, mounted on each tire and
wheel assembly transmit tire pressure readings to
a receiver located in the vehicle. The TPM sensors
transmit tire pressure readings once every 60 seconds
while the vehicle is being driven and once every
60 minutes when the vehicle is stationary for more than
15 minutes. Using the Driver Information Center (DIC),
tire pressure levels can be viewed by the driver.
The TPM system also uses the DIC to warn the driver
when air pressure, in one or more tires, falls below
25 psi (172 kPa) or is above 42 psi (290 kPa).
For additional information and details about the DIC
operation and displays see DIC Controls and Displays
on page 3-64 and DIC Warnings and Messages on
page 3-67.
A low tire warning light also appears on the instrument
panel cluster when a low tire condition exists. The
DIC message, CHECK TIRE PRESSURE and the low
tire pressure warning light will be shown each time
the engine is started and stay on until the low tire
condition is corrected.

TIRE SENSORS

CAN I TURN THE SENSONR OFF I HAVE ONE THAT SHOWS XX AND
ONE THAT SHOWS FLAT TIRE

Your sensors either need to be reset for each position on the vehicle, or you may have some bad sensors which need to be replaced. And no the sensors can not be turned off.

CAN I TURN THE SENSONR OFF I HAVE ONE THAT SHOWS XX AND
ONE THAT SHOWS FLAT TIRE

If you have access to a TECHII, you can check the battery status of the sensors and the actual tire pressure.

I too get the reduced handling warning and my pressure is set at 35 psi and it still registers low pressure.
Nothing to do with this even though pressure is good?

The tire pressure sensors only last about 10 years, I had to change mine 2 years ago on my 2004, so those lasted 13 years. Buy the Dorman’s on Amazon. I bought OEM and my mechanic told me he installed OEM’s on a Corvette only to have 2 of them fail out of the box. He substituted my OEM’s for the Dorman’s. Evidently the OEM’s (Delco) must have been sitting on a shelf for over 10 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back