Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk Alignment/Adjustment procedures

eddadams

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Red Jewel Shale
I have searched the forum and found a lot of great information. Thanks to all that share their knowledge.

I have a digital copy(pdf) of the 2004-2009 Service Manual. 7000+ pages. However I can't find the procedure to align the trunk lid, (left/right, up/down). The right side of my trunk sets higher than the left. I believe I caused it to be misaligned by closing the trunk lid on boxes that were too big a couple times. Does anyone know where I can find this procedure documented. I am aware of the two bumpers (that get gooey). Surely there is more adjustability. But I do not want to start messing with all that trunk and top mechanism without some guidance.

Thanks for any thoughts.
2006 Infrared

Try looking in the body section of the manual (my husband has looked this up before but couldn’t remember offhand). BUT, be very careful messing with those adjustments. My trunk lid hits lower and rubs on the rear bumper on one side, & my dealers XLR tech refused to touch it because the top works perfectly. He didn’t want to take the risk of creating a bigger problem while trying to solve a small one.

Just my 2 cents...

trunk

Hi - well here is my two cents - out of no where I experienced the trunk coming down and mis-hitting the trunk locking mechanism. This made the trunk - not so nicely - jar to the right and clank then finally close.
So I am fortunate enough that my good friend is only one very few certified cadillac xlr mechanics in West Virginia - that being said - he checked all the normal electronic stuff with no issues. Finally came down to the hydraulic helper shocks were shot - one worse than the other. I decided to go with OEM replacement shocks - I think were about $90 each or so. He installed and walla fixed. Trunk has never been better. Even solved my top not always moving past the step where the trunk first was supposed to come fully up.
Hope this helps.
Scott:thumbsup

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry