Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk closing itself slowly?

lucky_topher

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Raven Black XLR
When I open the trunk, the trunklid very slowly starts to fall down and will eventually close itself. Is this a hydraulic issue or are there weak shocks?

I own an '04 and have this same issue. It happens maybe 50% of the time - the trunk slowly closes by itself. This is a known problem with the '04 models and am interested to know what the fix is.

<HR>
<FORM method=post name=CellHandlerForm action=/newsi/cellHandler.do>
<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="7%">Subject:</TD><TD>Deck Lid May Not Stay Open To The Full Open Position</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="7%">Models:</TD><TD>2004-2009 Cadillac XLR models</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<HR><HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

A customer may complain that after pressing the "Trunk Open" button via the switch inside the vehicle or the key fob, the rear Deck Lid will not stay open after it reaches the full open position. This could be the result of a weak strut that supports the deck lid when open.
Note: Under certain conditions when operating the power folding top, the power hydraulic system will support the decklid in the full open position. When opening the deck lid under normal circumstances (key fob or button), the deck lid is supported open by the hydraulic struts on each side.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Be sure the retractable roof is fully opened or fully closed and there are no messages on the DIC for the retractable roof. Open the rear deck lid via button or key fob and support the deck lid to the open position. Remove the deck lid gas struts and inspect for a "weak" strut.
<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%" align=left></TD><TD width=42 align=middle>
999999994.gif
</TD><TD width=167 align=middle>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</FORM>

<HR>
<FORM method=post name=CellHandlerForm action=/newsi/cellHandler.do>
<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="7%">Subject:</TD><TD>Deck Lid May Not Stay Open To The Full Open Position</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="7%">Models:</TD><TD>2004-2009 Cadillac XLR models</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<HR><HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

A customer may complain that after pressing the "Trunk Open" button via the switch inside the vehicle or the key fob, the rear Deck Lid will not stay open after it reaches the full open position. This could be the result of a weak strut that supports the deck lid when open.
Note: Under certain conditions when operating the power folding top, the power hydraulic system will support the decklid in the full open position. When opening the deck lid under normal circumstances (key fob or button), the deck lid is supported open by the hydraulic struts on each side.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Be sure the retractable roof is fully opened or fully closed and there are no messages on the DIC for the retractable roof. Open the rear deck lid via button or key fob and support the deck lid to the open position. Remove the deck lid gas struts and inspect for a "weak" strut.
<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%" align=left></TD><TD width=42 align=middle>
999999994.gif
</TD><TD width=167 align=middle>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</FORM>

Thank you. I didn't know how much the strut had an effect on it all... Any tips on how to test to see which strut is bad? Any help on a PN for the replacement part?

Thanks!

Thank you. I didn't know how much the strut had an effect on it all... Any tips on how to test to see which strut is bad? Any help on a PN for the replacement part?

Thanks!

To check a strut, take it off and press it to the floor. If it compresses, it needs to be replaced. Good struts are virtually impossible to compress by hand pressure.
However, I would replace them in pairs... if one is bad the other is close behind. Besides, if one is weak and the other new, the lid will not be held up evenly.
Part number is 88957084 for either side. GM list is $83.94ea, I can get them for $73.76 ea plus shipping to you.

To check a strut, take it off and press it to the floor. If it compresses, it needs to be replaced. Good struts are virtually impossible to compress by hand pressure.
However, I would replace them in pairs... if one is bad the other is close behind. Besides, if one is weak and the other new, the lid will not be held up evenly.
Part number is 88957084 for either side. GM list is $83.94ea, I can get them for $73.76 ea plus shipping to you.

Thanks. Looks like I'll just go pick both up. GMPartsDirect looks to have them super cheap.

I've got two new struts. Is there a procedure for replacement? Is it safe to have someone hold the trunk open while I replace? It seems the bottom half is under the carpet trunk liner, but I haven't fully checked yet. Any tips? Just want to make sure I do everything right as I know the trunk can be finicky.

I've got two new struts. Is there a procedure for replacement? Is it safe to have someone hold the trunk open while I replace? It seems the bottom half is under the carpet trunk liner, but I haven't fully checked yet. Any tips? Just want to make sure I do everything right as I know the trunk can be finicky.

Mine is in storage until April or May... but will try to remember to check my service manuals in the morning and post tomorrow. If nobody beats me to it, that is...

Finally got a chance to check my service manuals... didn't find a thing listed. Anyway, if they are like most struts, they fit onto a ball. There is a metal clip on the strut that you stick a small flat blade screwdriver under to release the strut from the ball. To install the new strut, simply place the socket part of the strut over the ball and press it on; it will snap into place. Hope this helps and I'm not too late with this info...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom