Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk doesn't open.

redsoxdad2

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
When I press the trunk button sometimes it will not open. It seems like it trying to open but doesn't open?

It has been my experience a less than fully charged battery will effect the power trunk.

That's for the reply. I did check the battery, it was fully charged. I started to check all the fuses related to the trunk and the retractable top. I decided to take it to the dealer and have them check it. OUCH. $ 300.00 later they found a broken wire going to the top in the wiring harness. Well it was an expensive lesson but if it ever happens again I know that is one more thing to check. Apparently after putting the top up and down so many times over 15 years the wire broke inside the jacket of the wire. It wasn't visible. They had to use the Tech ll scanner. Hope this helps anyone else that has this problem. Thanks again.

$300 for fifteen years of use isn't too shabby! My 3-series has the folding hard top up and down at least 600 times a year (down in the morning, up in the evening). No reliability issues so far, even after getting a t-shirt trapped in the mechanism and breaking some costly trim pieces. :lol:

When I press the trunk button sometimes it will not open. It seems like it trying to open but doesn't open?

Hi Redsox - did you solve this problem? Let me know - I have a possible solution or two, but want to check your status first.

Hope all is well!

Jay

So my trunk lid started a while back, opening about 4 inches then slamming shut again. Than it would open. Got worse, it would take 6 or 7 tries before it would open.
I replaced the trunk latch the other day (available from GM for about $350 or rockauto)
And it fixed the issue.
Not too hard to do, remove plastic trim. Two top plugs are covers and 7mm screws under them, 4 front plugs are just plastic push pins.
3 nuts on latch, 1 electric connector and manual unlock cable. About 10 min after you have done it once.

So my trunk lid started a while back, opening about 4 inches then slamming shut again. Than it would open. Got worse, it would take 6 or 7 tries before it would open.
I replaced the trunk latch the other day (available from GM for about $350 or rockauto)
And it fixed the issue.
Not too hard to do, remove plastic trim. Two top plugs are covers and 7mm screws under them, 4 front plugs are just plastic push pins.
3 nuts on latch, 1 electric connector and manual unlock cable. About 10 min after you have done it once.

Thanks for that info as that isn’t at all what I would have expected to cause that problem.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom