Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk lid want close and top problem

Thanks again..

Yes, I did take a relearn but when the roof wasn't able to finish it's cycle the relearn procedure stoped. And I can not relearn putting the top down manually. ....can I ??
By the way, the two parts number you gave me can they be used all three places?
I strongly think that the rear tonneau sensor is the bad guy now.

Remi

The part numbers are interchangeable; this came up in a prior thread and both were identical. (The parts list will describe them as Red or Green.)

Moving the Folding Top manually won't mean a thing to the FTC module.

Just so the communication is good when you describe something, please describe the operation, rather than the step, since we may have different interpretations of which step is active. Failing to complete a step and failing to start a step are important symptoms too. Trying to troubleshoot over the internet is a lot like internet dating, you can't get too much information, if you know what I mean. . . ;)

From the position counts you posted both Front and Rear Tonneau position sensors are inconsistent in their readings. I don't know what you've replaced and if the only problem is the Rear Tonneau won't extend properly, but if so, ensure the Folding Top status and Header Latch switch status are correct, before you replace the Rear Tonneau sensor. It sounds like it's bad, but check the previous movement in the cycle to ensure the FTC module isn't holding the Rear Tonnneau in its stowed position because it doesn't know if the Folding Top is attached to the windshield header.

Once you understand how the Folding Top is supposed to operate, it's pretty easy to isolate a problem when it doesn't - even without a Tech 2.

Have a beer (or two) for me,

CC :wave:

Hi again.

Have been waiting for so long on the rear tonneau sensor to come (ordered all 3 position sensors) and when they finally came, I got the switches, not the sensors.
It sucks living in Norway, so far from the XLR parts departments in USA!!!!!!!!!!
Same part number as the sensors?? It is described as POSITION SENSOR - With part number 88956588 on their website - but on the package that I recieved it says switch kit with the same part number (88956588).
Man, I'm frustrated!
How can I be sure I get the sensors, not the switches, next time?

Remi

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 431
Hi again.

Have been waiting for so long on the rear tonneau sensor to come (ordered all 3 position sensors) and when they finally came, I got the switches, not the sensors.
It sucks living in Norway, so far from the XLR parts departments in USA!!!!!!!!!!
Same part number as the sensors?? It is described as POSITION SENSOR - With part number 88956588 on their website - but on the package that I recieved it says switch kit with the same part number (88956588).
Man, I'm frustrated!
How can I be sure I get the sensors, not the switches, next time?

Remi

This a picture of the sensor part number on the box when I got mine replaced

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi.../7996-rear-top-sensor-pictures.html#post56390

Here's a part number I got off an invoice from a Top Sensor replacement I had done seven years ago: 89023658. It comes up as a switch on the GM parts database.

CC

Thanks guys.
Do you know if all three sensors are interchangable?

Remi

Finally!!!

I recieved the rear tonneau sensor, replaced the old one and took a relearn on the Tech 2. The roof works as it should! I am so happy, but it did take a while.:blinzel:
Thanks for all the help you guys did for me, specially you CC.:wave:
I will have to start a new thread now, because the car won't start due to a "service steering column lock" text in the DIC. :(
Haha, this car is really something.:chuckle:laugh::lol:

Remi

This is the best news I've heard all day! I'm glad you have your top functioning. What was the final outcome of the part number mess?

CC :wave:

The correct part number is 19210515. The sensor can be used in all three places, the difference is just the cable clip.

Remi

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back