Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk Opens by Itself

Anthony Cundari

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
had a 2007 XLR for 5 years - unfortunately I moved on to newer technology
I've had the trunk open by itself several times on my 07 XLR over the past 20 months that I've had it. The first time was in Jan 2010 right after I got the car. I walked out of work and there was the trunk lid in the air. After 2 days the dealership couldn't find a problem. I believe it happened 1 or 2 other times. About 3 weeks ago it happened again. I put the windows down at lunch time. Drove about a mile and half to a fast food place and got out. Left the windows down. As I walked away the horn honked indicating the car was locked. I looked back as I got to the door of the restaurant. The trunk lid was up in the air. It obviously didn't go up immediately as I walked toward the rear of the car as I headed into the restaurant and it wasn't going up. But 15 seconds later it was up in the air. I'm now using the valet switch if I have something expensive in the trunk and I hope that all the power is killed to the trunk lid opening system. Its not the fob button being pressed as you really need to press and hold it to initiate the trunk open cycle. Has anyone else had this problem?

Good luck with this bad boy. (Not you; -the problem!)

I'd be suspicious of the FTC module since it issues the command for the the trunk to open once the RCDLR is satisfied the fob is nearby when a switch (fob or external rear switch) is depressed. The RCDLR could also be a candidate if it is acknowledging a (ghost) fob open request and is telling the FTC module to go ahead and make it's day. Either way, an intermittent problem like this is not going to be easy to fix, since both the modules aren't cheap enough to install on a trial basis just to see if it goes away. Being intermittent, a scan may not indicate the problem.

Or. . . . someone else's electronics are plaguing you.

CC

I had this happen a couple times and thought that my fob button was being pressed in my pocket. I purchased a fob jacket (had to order one for a Corvette that fits) and after installing it have never had it happen again.

I had this happen a couple times and thought that my fob button was being pressed in my pocket. I purchased a fob jacket (had to order one for a Corvette that fits) and after installing it have never had it happen again.

Do you have the specifics on that FOB jacket? I need one. I open mine accidentally from time to time.

I've had the same thing happen. FOB Button gets pressed in the pocket.

SrChief....thanks for the link:worship:, just ordered two. :cool:

Thanks All for your comments. I glad others are not having this problem based on so few responses.

I found my trunk open and the battery discharged for the first time last week. I just assumed it was an accidental fob button press. I was disappointed that the battery was drained as I thought there was a battery saver that turned everything off after a set amount of time.

Is the C6 fob cover for the new or old style fobs?

Received my fob covers today, they were shipped out pretty quick. They are a perfect fit and will help prevent any accidental "pocket button pushing".

:cool:

Just had it happen to me - twice - both times I had other "things" in my pocket. Just ordered two for the XLR as well as one for my wife's Tahoe - the emergency button on my fob is way too sensitive and I set that darn thing off all the time!

Trunk Opens on me too!

This has happens to me also, I come out from work and trunk is open, so I started taking the FOB out of my pocket until I go to leave again, and it stays closed, so I must be touching the button in my pocket. Thanks for the web site for FOB jacket I also ordered 2 :wave:

Me too

09/02/2018

This has been an ongoing problem for my 2004 XLR. In my case, i have caught my trunk opening randomly out of the clear blue right before my eyes without touching the key fob. Any help is appreciated. Joelhuntsman24@gmail.com Thank you.

My suggestion would be to pull the FOB apart and put some non-conducting plastic under the trunk open button. You will lose the use of it, but probably better than having people take stuff from your trunk..

I still wonder if it is accidental pushes or the RCL doing funky stuff. 2004 had problems with them. Mine does it even with the corvette fob jacket on.

09/02/2018

This has been an ongoing problem for my 2004 XLR. In my case, i have caught my trunk opening randomly out of the clear blue right before my eyes without touching the key fob. Any help is appreciated. Joelhuntsman24@gmail.com Thank you.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom