Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk rubbing

hawkeye372

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 infrared xlr
This is another eye sore for me. Is it only on the older models or is this a flaw with all of our cars image.jpg the passengers side tail light when the trunk shuts. It's scraping the edge of the light lens when it closes. Is it because it is out of alignment or is it just because it is so heavy. image.jpg

Moving out of the Site Help and Feedback forum, and into the correct XLR Forum...

It's scraping the edge of the light lens when it closes. Is it because it is out of alignment or is it just because it is so heavy.

Mine doesn't hit either lens, so I'd suspect your alignment is messed up. :dunno:

FWIW

Tim

Ok thanks. I guess when I head over to the dealer next, I'll have them check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is another eye sore for me. Is it only on the older models or is this a flaw with all of our carsView attachment 3692 the passengers side tail light when the trunk shuts. It's scraping the edge of the light lens when it closes. Is it because it is out of alignment or is it just because it is so heavy. View attachment 3693
Mine doesn't rub on either tail light,I think your's is out of alignment.look at the left side and see if there's a wider gap than on the right? this will show it is out of alignment. it could also be the bumpers on lower outside edges of trunk, mine were all mushy and easy to replace.

Last edited:
I guess the cold weather here in Florida is taking a toll in this trunk align. Because today I opened it and then shut it. To me it seems to be getting further over to the right. Guess I better bring it in ASAP to the dealer. Just have lots of appointments and workers here at my house this week. So I might find time next week. Fingers crossed

Well In another post here I gave a update that my car was back in the shop again. I had it back in my possession for a day. Then later that night I went to my local walgreens and got a red box movie and other things. After putting the bag in the trunk, it shut real fast. So I opened it again and only went halfway before slowly sliding down. Myths first time it was open, out of the corner of my eye I saw something fall. So I went down to the dealership and by the time I arrived just as my service guy was leaving. So I told him the problem. He brought the car into the service garage that night.
Today he called today and told me it was a microchip in the trunk area. They are ordering the part and should be done late tomorrow. I called back and had them check to see if it's under warranty.
So hopefully this time will have it fixed.

"A microchip in the trunk area. . . " That's one of the most vague (and misleading) explanations from a technician I've ever heard!
Tell him your oscillation over-thruster is acting up and see what kind of explanation he invents for that. :laugh: Let us know what the real problem was once it's fixed please. It sounds a lot like a sensor failure. Trunk mechanical alignment is covered in the Service Manual, and looks relatively easy.

CC :wave:

Yes the other day I took it in for a water leak. The whole trunk bed was soaked. The extended warranty didn't cover those charges. 258. And some change. But he said they realigned the trunk. So he was going to check this time if the chip or whatever it was will be covered. Otherwise it's 500 something just for the part. I'm not sure if that also is labor or not. :( praying it'll be covered.

You might have lost the Folding Top Module if the trunk leak was severe enough; that will set you back a few hundred and will hopefully be a warranty repair. GM has a Technical Service Bulletin outlining a method to repair the leaky trunk seals at the base of the C Pillars. You might ask him to look it up and make the repair to prevent further issues.

CC

They already made that repair for the leak. They put a new sealer in. I was going to drop the top that afternoon that I was at walgreens. But when I left and after I put the bag in the trunk. I didn't even chance it. Since the trunk wouldn't open.

Thanks cc I'll ask him tomorrow about that.

Roxy update:
Well Roxy in the shop too but for long while, got the ok from Route66 Warranty to do a complete rebuild of the rear end slip plates to exchanged with new slip plate, my cost only being the cost of the oil plus the back on engine light ended up being a worn air induction hose creating a air suction leak causing the engine light to come back on! Checking on if they need to drop out the rear from engine back, if so I'm getting the exhaust ceramic coated to reduce the tunnel heat on the interior console and trunk. Getting her done now before weather breaks to spring!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Well per the pic. The trouble was due to #19120639 (s)switch $300.00. I don't know if this number is the gm part number or not but the trunk release button inside trunk broke off. My extended warranty Zurich paid for. They listed as "found wired switch from trunk broken". That's how they listed it as. So the good news is. My service guy called and said it was under warranty and better news. I didn't have to pay for the deductible. :). There are so many numbers on this sheet of paper. I can't tell. Electrical body 261 cp 2.50 $300.00. Then next line they have the number 19120639 (s)switch 100.30 authorized amt 400.30. So this is the best news I have had for months. :)

jy3emu9a.jpg

Well per the pic. The trouble was due to #19120639 (s)switch $300.00. I don't know if this number is the gm part number or not but the trunk release button inside trunk broke off. My extended warranty Zurich paid for. They listed as "found wired switch from trunk broken". That's how they listed it as. So the good news is. My service guy called and said it was under warranty and better news. I didn't have to pay for the deductible. :). There are so many numbers on this sheet of paper. I can't tell. Electrical body 261 cp 2.50 $300.00. Then next line they have the number 19120639 (s)switch 100.30 authorized amt 400.30. So this is the best news I have had for months. :)

jy3emu9a.jpg

so the broken sw was pulling the trunk to the right causing it to rub on the tail light? are the scratches light enough to polish out? and thanks for the follow up :cool: Al

u2abugu6.jpg

Scroll up and you can see more pics.

After taking this pic and examine more. It look like I had a space. So I went back out and opened trunk. This time drivers side has standing water. ;(. So raced back down and the salesperson said Zurich will pay if the cylinder shorts out. So the bad thing is if I can't get in a covered garage or car port then I'm screwed. I'll try and back it into a carport that I know doesn't have a owner in. He only comes down every couple months. So hopefully Monday I can bring it back down and the original tech will diagnosis the problem. They mare sucking the standing water out as I type this.

Gotta wonder what kind of info your dealer is feeding you. Cylinders don't "short out." The switch listed has a MSRP of $100 and a dealer price of $42.0.

CC

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back