Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk wont open or close

Top Dog

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
I have a 04 xlr that the trunk wont open or close without working the top. I can hear the lock mech. working but the pump will not start unless you work the top switch even with the top switch the trunk will go up but will not come back down unless you release the switch then it seems to come down without the pump running. I have checked the limit switches that I can find and they are all working. HELP!!:bash:

same problem

I have the same problem. Let me know what you find out. It doesnt really bother me since the trunk is so small and if i really need to get back there then i put the top half way down.

Trunk won't open

You would think that with all the troubles that XLRs have with trunks and tops there would be a lot more info on this topic.

This is too weird!!! I started have 100% the exact problem TODAY!!!

Any ideas??

same issue

I had the same problem which began AFTER a drained battery. I am not sure what was done, but was told at the caddie dealer the car simply needed reprogramming.

Mine does this anytime water gets in the trunk near the pump. Check to make sure it's dry. Trust me, I'm spending a fortune replacing the trunk top module and ride control module after a flood in the rear compartment due to rain. Not fun...

Coop

drain tubes

Can someone take a picture of the drain tube(s)? i got under my car and couldnt locate them. i believe they are supposed to be on the driver side in the rear.

Trunk still shut

Mine has been dry, dont know of any water in it plus the top works with the same pump so I know the pump works but still no trunk working.:bash:

Can someone take a picture of the drain tube(s)? i got under my car and couldnt locate them. i believe they are supposed to be on the driver side in the rear.

My 2006 doesn't have a drain tube. Just a small hole drilled in the bottom of the compartment containing the pump and circuit boards.

I love my Lola but she is a PAIN IN THE A$$.

Again, thankfully, I made it home and the groceries out of the trunk before the deck lid decided it would not close again.

I knew something was up after I loaded the groceries and pushed the button to go down ... it went partially down .... stopped .... I pushed the button again ... it went down a little more .... stopped..... I pushed it a 3rd time and it went all the way down ... All I could think of was the ice cream that I now had trapped in my trunk :willy_nilly: But when I got home the deck lid went up fine - no problem. Got the groceries out :rocker: - hit the deck lid switch ..... nothing .....

I called my tech - he said to try wiggling the sensor on the left arm, push up on the deck lid and press the button .... nothing.

I crawled under the car, (now there's a visual for you) checked the drain tube ... it was clear ...

Tried again pushing the lid up and pushing the button, and it started to move back down .... just like it went up ... took 3 pushes of the switch.

Anyway, my tech was going to come over tonight to look at it, but since I have the lid down, he is not going to come over until Monday .... I will let you know what the dg is .... I have had that sensor (left arm) replaced a year ago .... we'll see ....

Lola's Mom,

Please keep us posted on any information from the tech!

Thank you and have a great weekend!
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

I love my Lola but she is a PAIN IN THE A$$.

Again, thankfully, I made it home and the groceries out of the trunk before the deck lid decided it would not close again.

I knew something was up after I loaded the groceries and pushed the button to go down ... it went partially down .... stopped .... I pushed the button again ... it went down a little more .... stopped..... I pushed it a 3rd time and it went all the way down ... All I could think of was the ice cream that I now had trapped in my trunk :willy_nilly: But when I got home the deck lid went up fine - no problem. Got the groceries out :rocker: - hit the deck lid switch ..... nothing .....

I called my tech - he said to try wiggling the sensor on the left arm, push up on the deck lid and press the button .... nothing.

I crawled under the car, (now there's a visual for you) checked the drain tube ... it was clear ...

Tried again pushing the lid up and pushing the button, and it started to move back down .... just like it went up ... took 3 pushes of the switch.

Anyway, my tech was going to come over tonight to look at it, but since I have the lid down, he is not going to come over until Monday .... I will let you know what the dg is .... I have had that sensor (left arm) replaced a year ago .... we'll see ....

Lola's Mom,

Please keep us posted on any information from the tech!

Thank you and have a great weekend!
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

I will Caron ..... it is so annoying always worrying whether that trunk is going to open or close. We have pretty much quit traveling very far from home because of the parts problem. I cannot imagine what we would have done had this happened in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

Re: Deck lin

Tech reprogramed the top .... it seems to have solved the problem. Although he still thinks it's caused by one of 2 things..... arm sensor going bad OR, and most likely ... when I let Lola sit too long, the battery takes a dip - enough to start the car but not enough to tell every computer what to do. I am guilty of letting Ray chauffeur me around ... I also know better about keeping these cars either on a tender or on the road ... so guilty on both counts. He is going to install one of the small tenders inside of the engine compartment ....

We talked about the fact that XLR parts are getting REALLY scarce ....

There you have it, Caron .... now, if you can just start listing some outlets for us to find parts .... ;)

Well after reading you got everything working I made an appointment for 2:00 today, the Tech said it could take a few hours because these things are "cuckoo", before leaving I thought I'd check to see if there was anything in the trunk...I hit the button for the hell of it...IT OPENED-WHAM EVERYTHING is working perfect now, app. cancelled...I agree these babys are CUCKOO.:laugh:

Well after reading you got everything working I made an appointment for 2:00 today, the Tech said it could take a few hours because these things are "cuckoo", before leaving I thought I'd check to see if there was anything in the trunk...I hit the button for the hell of it...IT OPENED-WHAM EVERYTHING is working perfect now, app. cancelled...I agree these babys are CUCKOO.:laugh:

I think you'll find that the top WILL malfunction again... once the top starts not operating correctly, they usually continue to not operate intermittantly. At some time, it will just not work. The trick is to get it to the tech when it decides not to work. And you're correct... these babies are CUCKOO. But what a CUCKOO car to have, huh???

Trunk Malfunction

I've been away for a while and now am back. I missed the Crew, but I have a selfish mission.

As described in this thread, my trunk lid started to not open last fall while on vacation. The top would go up and down as normal, but the trunk "lift" switch wouldn't work. I took it to a not-too-local Cadillac Dealership and was tickled to death because they only had to re-flash the Body Control Module. I thought that was the last..

Again in December, while at home, the trunk again malfunctioned. i advised the Service Dept at my local Cadillac dealership about my history and they re-flashed the BCM and it started working normally. The Tech stated that he would "not recommend replacement" of the BCM at this time.

Over the weekend, a similar problem occurred. This time the trunk will open with the keyfob and trunk lid button, but the "close" button doesn't respond.

I was very disappointed today to hear the Service Manager report that the Technician reflashed the BCM and that all systems are now fully functional. That's not the concern, but rather the Tech wants to "replace the trunk closing switch" to see if that'll fix the problem. Think about it. The switch didn't work before re-flash; it works now; and he wants to replace it to "maybe" fix the problem.

After I calmed down a little, I calmly asked the Service Manager to request of the Tech his logic and how he came to that conclusion. WTF is he thinking!!!! Common sense would point to something other than a momentary contact switch that didn't work before re-flash and now works.

If anyone with this problem ever did get a solution to the problem, please let me know. I don't want to get my XLR back and it need a re-flash in two months from now, somewhere I can't get to a Dealership.

XLR KEN :blinzel:

Did they happen to re-flash the BCM when they replaced the 2 sensors? My concern is that your two new sensors were just window dressing.

I'm wondering if the Top Control Module in the trunk is somehow linked in to the trunk (open/close) functions. I don't want to go and have a new BCM installed and the root problem be another module that may simply have an intermittant problem. Due to the trunk function being such an related part of the top operation, it may be a source of the problem. I just don't see how a re-flash of the BCM would reset the Top Control Module. Also, the top as always worked when the trunk was malfunctioning.

I'm going to have them look at the Top Control Module tomorrow to see if it has any evidence of water infiltration. Looking back, it does seem the problem comes up after either driving in heavy rain or going through a carwash. It's sad when I have to troubleshoot my XLR for the "certified Tech."

XLR KEN :blinzel:

Mine done the same thing it would open but wouldnt shut, turned out I have to pull the little latch that holds the trunk back into place then the button on the trunk will close it (may need some WD 40 to make it slide back in place) that fixed mine.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom