Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Update on different DIC service messages

Something to Ponder Before you Squander

Might I add my recent experience with code talking for what its worth.

In response to a 'service engine soon' message recently from both Northstar and my DIC I took my car to my longtime friend who owns a very successful shop in my hometown.

I told him the problem and gave him the Code Northstar had given me. I asked him if he had a Tech II (which he did) and he pulled a small thing out of his pocket no larger than a smartphone. He plugged it into the port and the code immediately showed. He said this code says your 'right bank is running lean.'

With that he pulled a small socket wrench from his breast pocket, popped the hood and tightened the manifold bolts on both cylinder banks. The code disappeared and the cars idle and performance improved dramatically.

Knowing a Tech II is a multi-thousand dollar device he told me he had used a $40 code reader from Autozone. The whole process saved me a $125 diagnostic dealer fee and who knows how much in labor to fix it.

I asked him what I owed him.

He said 'Have a nice day.'

Just sayin'.

Might I add my recent experience with code talking for what its worth.

In response to a 'service engine soon' message recently from both Northstar and my DIC I took my car to my longtime friend who owns a very successful shop in my hometown.

I told him the problem and gave him the Code Northstar had given me. I asked him if he had a Tech II (which he did) and he pulled a small thing out of his pocket no larger than a smartphone. He plugged it into the port and the code immediately showed. He said this code says your 'right bank is running lean.'

With that he pulled a small socket wrench from his breast pocket, popped the hood and tightened the manifold bolts on both cylinder banks. The code disappeared and the cars idle and performance improved dramatically.

Knowing a Tech II is a multi-thousand dollar device he told me he had used a $40 code reader from Autozone. The whole process saved me a $125 diagnostic dealer fee and who knows how much in labor to fix it.

I asked him what I owed him.

He said 'Have a nice day.'

Just sayin'.

A Tech II is much more than a diagnostic code reader and does not cost thousands. It is not a fair comparison. It depends on what you want to do. Many auto stores will scan for a code gratis.

Buki; I have an OBD II scanner from Harbor Fright and it will read the XLR's check engine codes but it will not read the XLR's CANDii propriatory codes, that's where the Tech II comes into the picture.

cc; Thanks for the info on the manuals. Very helpful and all of this stuff is doing to make me go broke :laugh: Green board :wave:

CC are the books more comprehensive than manuals on cd?

Without seeing the CD's I can't give an answer. The (two) manuals are a few inches thick. If your CD version is a copy of the GM manuals, you're good to go!

CC :wave:

Without seeing the CD's I can't give an answer. The (two) manuals are a few inches thick. If your CD version is a copy of the GM manuals, you're good to go!

CC :wave:

Different years have a different number of volumes. 2-3-4 My electronic copy is basically a scanned hard copy.

Correct year manuals

CC are the books more comprehensive than manuals on cd?

Just make sure you get the correct year manuals for your car. This is what they will look like for a 2006. I am an old fashioned book kind of guy so I like the actual books myself. CD's are ok, but I usually find what I am looking for easier and take it with me when I am working on something.

Got my Tech II

Thank you very much Phrede. Got my Tech II yesterday and it is exactly as Phrede described his. I ordered mine from the place he recommended. There are several out there with prices that vary a bit, mine was free shipping. I was hesitant at first but decided to roll the dice because there was no way I was going to buy one on the ebay auctions. So mine came with the 3 power cords, one for 110v, one for cig lighter, and another for the battery terminals. There are 2 CD's with mine and I tried both of them in my Windows 7 PC, only one works and it is basically just a brief description of what connects where. The TIS 2000 disc does not work with my PC, but the other disc does. I did take the time to plug it in to the 110v power supply with the adapter needed when not plugged into a car, so you can check for correct operation of the Tech II before you plug it into a car, and check the card version and check for what model years are covered, and I believe it was 2012. Good enough for me for what I need it for. After all it is good for 3 years after the last XLR's built. The case, the data cable, the CANDi module was in there along with all of the adapters for the ALDL to cover OBD I and OBD II. There is a cable to connect the Tech II to a PC I suppose to update software. Like Phrede mentioned all of the labels were in a zip lock bag, serial number etc. I looked at all of the ones selling on ebay and most of them are exactly the same as the one I have. So my next step is to grab the big box of FSM's and start reading before connecting it to the car. Get some instructions before I start anything.

Tech II

Well I got the scanner out this evening and tried it out for the first time. Yeah, took me long enough huh. Last night I was on my way home and noticed the "SVC TIRE MONITOR" showed up on my DIC. I didn't want to take a chance of pushing the wrong button while driving, so I just waited until this afternoon to check it out. After fiddling around I discovered you can get rid of the message if you just push the reset button. And then you can push on the toggle to get the readout of the other options, mileage, average MPG, etc. When you get down to the tire pressure, it had a pair of XX showing for the front right tire. Ok no big deal, but I wanted to put the scanner on her to see if I could get more information. I have the set of 5 FSM also and read up on it. The RCDLM (remote control door lock module) receives the signal from the tire pressure sensors and then displays through other modules to the instrument cluster. So I learned that about the modules, and a lot of other things skimming through the manuals. Man I can't believe all the codes you can get for everything on this car. Absolutely mind boggling. Anyway going through the steps on my Tech II, it said the right front sensor failed. Now keep in mind while I was reading the Service Manual trouble shooting, one of the steps if it failed said to replace the remote control door lock module. So I decided to see what the scanner said, bad TPS. So even if I can't replace the sensor myself, (don't have a tire machine out in the garage), at least I have it narrowed down to just the sensor. I remember reading in the past some of the Devilles about 4 years older reading where you can reset the new sensors with a magnet, don't think it's that easy on our much more sophisticated cars. Reading in the service manual they tell you to use a J46079 tire pressure sensor scanner. All that thing is good for is the tire pressure sensors. Yeah I looked on ebay and there are a couple listed for around or more than $500. Well I'll just enjoy my scanner for now, and yes for $350.00 I think it was more than worth what I paid for it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom