Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Updated Navigation

gammonj

No more updates for the Cadillac XLR Navigation!?!? Seriously? The latest version is 7 years old and according to my phone conversation with Cadillac Infotainment Customer Support (from the web site, GM | Home | HERE .

It was explained to me that there is not enough demand, therefore no more updates will be made and the latest is the 2009 version. In fact, they don't even have any of these!

Now, if you go on that same web site you will discover that if you own our cousin...the 2006 Corvette...you can readily purchase an updated DVD created in 2016!!
Really? Yet the Flagship Cadillac (Which I do love) is being treated as a second class vehicle! I'm confused that Cadillac division would even install a navigation system different then the C6 Corvette. Yes, I was assured that the C6 DVD will not work in the XLR...However it would work in the Cadillac STS. Ridiculous

My 2006 doesn't recognize 50% of the addresses where I live. That would be The Villages, Florida. I'm getting ready for a major road trip across the US and the web site touts: "Last year alone, 569,847 miles of road were updated in the U.S.—"..... Well not for Cadillac XLR owners.

Am I going to have to drive an $80,000 car that Cadillac built with a suction cup Garmin on the windshield?

Mmmmm, yes, pretty much yes. Somewhere on here there's posting regarding using a Toyota disc but it doesn't support voice directions. You might look for that posting

It was explained to me that there is not enough demand, therefore no more updates will be made and the latest is the 2009 version. In fact, they don't even have any of these!

Now, if you go on that same web site you will discover that if you own our cousin...the 2006 Corvette...you can readily purchase an updated DVD created in 2016!!
Really? Yet the Flagship Cadillac (Which I do love) is being treated as a second class vehicle! I'm confused that Cadillac division would even install a navigation system different then the C6 Corvette. Yes, I was assured that the C6 DVD will not work in the XLR...However it would work in the Cadillac STS. Ridiculous

My 2006 doesn't recognize 50% of the addresses where I live. That would be The Villages, Florida. I'm getting ready for a major road trip across the US and the web site touts: "Last year alone, 569,847 miles of road were updated in the U.S.—"..... Well not for Cadillac XLR owners.

Am I going to have to drive an $80,000 car that Cadillac built with a suction cup Garmin on the windshield?

While I can sympathize with your feelings, I hate to break it to you, but a former beauty queen is just that. Despite the XLR being crowned as GM's halo car over a decade ago, it has long since been de-throned, with no perks for time served. You get what you get. It isn't a second-class vehicle, it's a low-production, discontinued vehicle. (It's still a head-turner though.)

As for the Vette still receiving navigation updates, they built a lot more of them than XLRs, so obviously, there is more of a demand, and for GM, a profit.

Unfortunately, the XLR's (and Corvette's) navigation system was obsolete when it came out, which is exactly why GM should sub-contract upgradeable nav systems to companies that specialize in that sort of thing; like they do audio systems with Bose. I always kept a Garmin handy because it was so much better on long trips. An ideal solution? No, but it got the job done for the cost of an (unavailable) update disk and with ugraded graphics and maps.

You're in good company as far as logistics support goes. With just a few over 2400 sold over its soon-to-be completed production run, the ELR (also good-looking) will be hurt'in for certain (parts-wise) in the not-too-distant future. Anything not shared with the Volt will start becoming scarce once the warranty periods end.

Unless it's a mandatory safety issue, GM is under no obligation to any of us once the warranty period for a production run ends; unless there's a lot of money to be made, as in the case of high production runs.

Those 569,847 miles of roads are still just as accessible to XLR owners as they've always been. Before nav systems existed, people somehow traversed them successfully.

Reminiscing about your original sticker price is as useful as that former beauty queen gazing in a mirror and sighing over what once was. . . Nearly all cars do not qualify as investments.

If upgraded features are that important to enjoying your car, consider modifying it, living with it as-is, or moving to something else. Complaining that you're being treated unfairly after buying a former "halo" car is a bit of a stretch. No matter what we drive, it has a limited shelf life.

Few cars bring such long-term smiles to their driver's faces when the ignition kicks in as the XLR.

CCC

Last edited:
Waze

That is this one:
Nav Disc

I run the Waze app from my Samsung Galaxy, put velcro on the dash and on the back of the phone & works great when you hit the areas that don't show on the nav system.I got sucked in buying Denso Gen 2 for a lot of bucks and got little or nothing, it still shows I live in the desert of Nevada with no roads,,,,,,,,,,Hmmmmmmmmmm! If it wasn't for the attention it gets, the HP, convertible, and looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor I would sell it, but then I turn around and take one more look and............. tell the salesman to forget the deal we just made, which was lousy to begin with. 78,000 and counting & still thrills me when I stomp on her.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom