Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

V engine builder nameplate description

Phrede

Seasoned Member
You may want to reconsider the wording describing the location of the engine builder nameplate on the LC3 engines. "Closest to the firewall"? The cylinder banks run perpendicular to the firewall, there is not one closer. The name plate is on the right bank head near the front of the engine closest to the #2 cylinder.

You may want to reconsider the wording describing the location of the engine builder nameplate on the LC3 engines. "Closest to the firewall"? The cylinder banks run perpendicular to the firewall, there is not one closer. The name plate is on the right bank head near the front of the engine closest to the #2 cylinder.

Actually the way the LC3 Engine is Constructed the Right Bank is Furthest from the fire wall.

Actually the way the LC3 Engine is Constructed the Right Bank is Furthest from the fire wall.

I disagree, and believe they are of nearly equal distance. There may be a small difference due to the cylinder offset to allow for connecting rod connection to the crank, but even then I think the left bank is closer to the front end of the crank. Certainly not a big difference like with a transversely mounted engine so popular with FWD cars.

I disagree, and believe they are of nearly equal distance. There may be a small difference due to the cylinder offset to allow for connecting rod connection to the crank, but even then I think the left bank is closer to the front end of the crank. Certainly not a big difference like with a transversely mounted engine so popular with FWD cars.

You disagree, but believe they are (nearly) equal ? Which is it your stating They are or they are not ? I just stated the facts. I can go in to the way a V-8 engine is built or you can Google it and see it is impossible for both banks to be (equal) . You can Disagree all you want but the facts can not be disputed.

You disagree, but believe they are (nearly) equal ? Which is it your stating They are or they are not ? I just stated the facts. I can go in to the way a V-8 engine is built or you can Google it and see it is impossible for both banks to be (equal) . You can Disagree all you want but the facts can not be disputed.

Just because there is a cylinder offset it does not mean that the head casting itself is any closer or further from the firewall. The cylinders yes, the heads no. For that matter the firewall is not exactly flat either. I've built enough V-8 engines to not have to Google it. Have you actually measured the distance to support your comment? Until you have either detailed drawings or actual measurement you are spouting assumptions as fact and yes it can be disputed.

The point of the first post still stands. The description needs to be reviewed as it is not clear.

Just because there is a cylinder offset it does not mean that the head casting itself is any closer or further from the firewall. The cylinders yes, the heads no. For that matter the firewall is not exactly flat either. I've built enough V-8 engines to not have to Google it. Have you actually measured the distance to support your comment? Until you have either detailed drawings or actual measurement you are spouting assumptions as fact and yes it can be disputed.

The point of the first post still stands. The description needs to be reviewed as it is not clear.

If you actually have one of these cars you can simply open the hood and visually see that the right Head is forward of the left head. (the right head is on the passenger side) Maybe you have the right and left mixed up standing in front of the car ? No one needs a drawing for that. When some one corrects me when i am wrong I usually respond with a smile and a heart felt thank you. So I can continue thru life that much more knowledgeable And not accuse them of (spouting assumptions)

If you actually have one of these cars you can simply open the hood and visually see that the right Head is forward of the left head. (the right head is on the passenger side) Maybe you have the right and left mixed up standing in front of the car ? No one needs a drawing for that. When some one corrects me when i am wrong I usually respond with a smile and a heart felt thank you. So I can continue thru life that much more knowledgeable And not accuse them of (spouting assumptions)

If I actually have one of these cars?:laugh: What kind of talk is that? It is my engine that is in the picture that this description goes with. If you have not measured it your are assuming!

Here are some pictures of the back of an LC3. Look at the distance from the plug in the back of the head to the back of the block in both the left and right view pictures and make up your own mind. I contend that the extended boss on the right head that the plug is in makes the back of the head very close to the same distance from the back of the block. Closer than what can be determined by eye. How much difference this makes to the proximity to the firewall when mounted in the car would need to be measured as there could be a difference in the firewall distance even to the back of the block.

X06PT_8C030.jpg

X06PT_8C027.jpg

0504em_cady_14_z.jpg
0504em_cady_19_z.jpg

If I actually have one of these cars?:laugh: What kind of talk is that? It is my engine that is in the picture that this description goes with. If you have not measured it your are assuming!

Here are some pictures of the back of an LC3. Look at the distance from the plug in the back of the head to the back of the block in both the left and right view pictures and make up your own mind. I contend that the extended boss on the right head that the plug is in makes the back of the head very close to the same distance from the back of the block. Closer than what can be determined by eye. How much difference this makes to the proximity to the firewall when mounted in the car would need to be measured as there could be a difference in the firewall distance even to the back of the block.

X06PT_8C030.jpg

X06PT_8C027.jpg

0504em_cady_14_z.jpg
0504em_cady_19_z.jpg
These picture clearly show that the right HEAD IS FORWARD OF THE LEFT HEAD Thank You !

These picture clearly show that the right HEAD IS FORWARD OF THE LEFT HEAD Thank You !

Not so clearly to me. Unless you just choose to ignore the piece cast in that extends out from the back of the right head. I am beginning to think you have never actually held a head in your hands. Do you really own an XLR-V?

You fellows sure are entertaining me!!! I also couldn't care less who is right, but I couldn't help myself-the closest measurement I could get on the passenger side was 1 inch, the drivers side 1 1/4 inch. So now we gotta decide if that is that is nearly equal or not, which would then start a whole new debate:blinzel:.. However if we were to refer to the odd or even bank I believe their is no debate, however some of us simpletons may not know which is which.

You fellows sure are entertaining me!!! I also couldn't care less who is right, but I couldn't help myself-the closest measurement I could get on the passenger side was 1 inch, the drivers side 1 1/4 inch. So now we gotta decide if that is that is nearly equal or not, which would then start a whole new debate:blinzel:.. However if we were to refer to the odd or even bank I believe their is no debate, however some of us simpletons may not know which is which.

I can appreciate someone who actually measured and did not assume. Just to confirm... your measurement showed the right bank (Even) closer to the firewall then the left (Odd)?

I can appreciate someone who actually measured and did not assume. Just to confirm... your measurement showed the right bank (Even) closer to the firewall then the left (Odd)?

Its "odd" that you would ask that "even" after I stated passenger and driver side. :chuckle

Its "odd" that you would ask that "even" after I stated passenger and driver side. :chuckle

Cute.

Having built a few Ford engines I got out of the habit of even and odd in favor of left and right. That was before engines were put in "sideways".

Cute.

Having built a few Ford engines I got out of the habit of even and odd in favor of left and right. That was before engines were put in "sideways".

"sideways" ? For your future reference the term us Tech's use is (Transverse mounted) Im sorry you can not see that the picture Clearly proves my point. I guess im just used to looking at many motors and know what to look for . Try looking at the flush part of the block where the transmission bolts to. The left head is flush with this area. If your counting (as measurement ) the sensor or plug ? (in the right head) it still does not protrude past this point. And even if it did we would not consider this as part of the head (casting) I hope this clears this up for you. If not you might find one at a dealer that is ( out ) that you can look at and then you will understand.

"sideways" ? For your future reference the term us Tech's use is (Transverse mounted) Im sorry you can not see that the picture Clearly proves my point. I guess im just used to looking at many motors and know what to look for . Try looking at the flush part of the block where the transmission bolts to. The left head is flush with this area. If your counting (as measurement ) the sensor or plug ? (in the right head) it still does not protrude past this point. And even if it did we would not consider this as part of the head (casting) I hope this clears this up for you. If not you might find one at a dealer that is ( out ) that you can look at and then you will understand.

Is there any way I can block this idiot? Never mind I found the ignore setting.

Is there any way I can block this idiot? Never mind I found the ignore setting.

Wow ! Name calling ? I thought we were all here to (learn) and share information ? So Keep your head in the sand my friend. And even though you wont admit you could have learned something here by our ( Thought friendly ) debate I would never call you an Idiot. Maybe your just having a bad day. Sorry to have upset you.

Wow, :rocket: Shots Fired!

Critical Testosterone build up boys.... :sprite10: .....sounds like to me that you both need some extra-curricular activities (certainly not cars.... :naughty: ) to reduce those dangerous T levels.

Seriously, remove those daggers, shake hands and make up??? or just go to your corners. The fights over :cool:

just sayin'.......don't hate me! :love:

Wow, :rocket: Shots Fired!

Critical Testosterone build up boys.... :sprite10: .....sounds like to me that you both need some extra-curricular activities (certainly not cars.... :naughty: ) to reduce those dangerous T levels.

Seriously, remove those daggers, shake hands and make up??? or just go to your corners. The fights over :cool:

just sayin'.......don't hate me! :love:

I have no interest in communicating with this person in any way. This is not the first time. He will stay ignored and avoided if in person. I choose not to have his comments appear on my screen.

I do hope the description that I first wrote about gets clarified.

983906_10200820562949307_1478404688_n.jpg

It sounds like Ted is talking about something totally different. Why did transverse mounts even come into play? Nice pics of the motor phrede.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom