Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

V Tires

harrower

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 infred red xlr-v
I've been looking at tire choices for the V. Only offerings for the front 235-45-19 are the Pirelli and Yokohama. Many choices for the rears. What other size could I look for on the fronts that would fit? I won't buy runflats again so I should have more choices.

Dave,

Are you staying with the stock rims? If you are you should be able to go larger on the front (245 or 255) as the rims are the same size. You may have to play around with aspect ratio. I know you can get a better ride from non run flats, but I weighed alot of factors before I ended up staying with the Pirellis. A flat out in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be fun. The fix-a-flat ruins the TPMS sensors (over $50 a piece), having to have to car towed if you can't fix the flat and finally having a blowout and it rips the entire fender/quarter panel off the car.

I broke a sidewall down in Asheville earlier this year and didn't realize it until the trip home. The tire never lost air or caused any problem on the trip back. ( Must have hit a pothole--don't know) I had them check the rim during replacement of the tires to make sure the rim was not damaged and everything was fine. Tires and ride become a personal choice when it comes to these cars. The type of road composition also becomes a factor as well, as some surfaces against your tires produce tremendous noise.

Good luck in your search.

Cubby,

Thanks for the info. The OEM front tire size options are really limited. There are many choices for 245-45-19. I just put non runflats on my C6 Corvette and the handling and ride is so much better than the OEM runflats. I got the continential inflation kit from tire rack that has the slime option. I would not use the slime options unless absolutely necessary. The slime kills the TPS and makes a patch almost impossible. I also got a plug kit. It all fits neatly in the trunk pocket. We had a Saturn Sky Redline and that was GM's answer to not carrying a spare tire. C5 Z06's had the same setup. Cadillac Tech has the Eagle F1 GS-D3 on his Vet and they look pretty good. Goodyear has them in the 245-45-19 for the front and 255-40-19 for the rears. I really don't like the Pirelli's. I read tire reviews on tire rack and discount tire and almost everyone would not buy again. I would appreciate any suggestions as to other Tire brands using stock wheels.

V tires

The info I've been able to obtain, for the GS-D3's is 245-40-19, not
245-45-19.
I am thinking about going with the 255's on all 4's. For the fronts, they are only .3 inches taller than the 235's and only .15 inch from axle (fender clearance). They are only 7/8 inch wider, which is 3/8 wider from center line. So, /when these pirelis are shot, I am going with the GS-D3s' I am going to check out full lock and clearance with the 235 Pireli's just to be sure they have clearance, lock to lock.
No one on the site seems to know for sure.
Rusty

Cubby,

Thanks for the info. The OEM front tire size options are really limited. There are many choices for 245-45-19. I just put non runflats on my C6 Corvette and the handling and ride is so much better than the OEM runflats. I got the continential inflation kit from tire rack that has the slime option. I would not use the slime options unless absolutely necessary. The slime kills the TPS and makes a patch almost impossible. I also got a plug kit. It all fits neatly in the trunk pocket. We had a Saturn Sky Redline and that was GM's answer to not carrying a spare tire. C5 Z06's had the same setup. Cadillac Tech has the Eagle F1 GS-D3 on his Vet and they look pretty good. Goodyear has them in the 245-45-19 for the front and 255-40-19 for the rears. I really don't like the Pirelli's. I read tire reviews on tire rack and discount tire and almost everyone would not buy again. I would appreciate any suggestions as to other Tire brands using stock wheels.

I went thru' the same process earlier this year... I think I my have lost sleep trying to decide "Run-flats, or not?"

After running on non-runflats for 6 months, I can say that it was one of the best upgrades I made on my XLR-V. They ride quieter, significantly smoother, and its a night/day difference in grip - additionally, I saved money over the cost of the runflats and I gain a tremendous amount of wet traction over the runflats.

Knowing what I know now, I'm glad I made the choice to abandon the runflats.

I know that without doing a pepsi-challenge of your own its hard to say which is better, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Additionally - I also initially worried about getting a flat or ruining a TPM sensor.

First - cost - at $50 a sensor, I can pay for a replacement sensor and still save money over the runflat tire cost difference - assuming I do use a can of fix-a-flat. Additionally, I've been buying salvage sensors on ebay for about $25 as spares.
2nd - I learned about plug kits and I also learn how easy it is to just plug a tire on the side of the road, which saves the TPM and some will argue is a permanent fix (some people say it will leak again, but with high performance tires that only last 15k miles anyway its most likely not a problem). Any flat caused by a nail or puncture that can be fixed with a can of fix-a-flat can be fixed with a plug kit - and the plug kit can fix larger holes than the can will fix.

So now I pack a plug kit, a 12v tire pump, flashlight, a multitool, and about 10 latex gloves in that small compartment in the trunk (it only takes of 1/2 the room). Hopefully I will never have to use it, and if all else fails there's always onstar.

But for me, I will NEVER go back to runflats except for a regular passenger car/truck...

YMMV :)

I moved my rear 255-40-19's to the front to check for clearance and they fit fine. I put non runflat Kumho SPT's on the Vet and love them. Much better ride and traction. Even in 40 degree weather, they hook up. The runflats are stiff and have very little flex. With the TPS, I will know immediately if air pressure is dropping.

V TIRES

Great info.... Thanks

Rusty

I moved my rear 255-40-19's to the front to check for clearance and they fit fine. I put non runflat Kumho SPT's on the Vet and love them. Much better ride and traction. Even in 40 degree weather, they hook up. The runflats are stiff and have very little flex. With the TPS, I will know immediately if air pressure is dropping.

Just pulled one of the rears off to fix a flat and the center is down to the treadwear indicator. The outside still has a lot of depth left, but I think it is time to replace the rears and not take a chance with them. Car has stock OEM Pirelli runflats now. I am ditching the runflats. Bought a nice inflator and plug kit to keep in the car. Looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires, but they don't make that tire in the 235-45-19 size. Thinking about going to 245-40-19 on the front. Anyone try this combination with the stock wheels? Anyone running the rear size 255-40-19 all the way around with stock wheels and have some experience with that? Suggestions before I spend a bunch of money?

The rims are the same size width, so it shouldn't be a problem. I believe that is what harrower is running on his V now. You could always put the backs on the front to make sure you are ok with steering clearances before you buy.

Just pulled one of the rears off to fix a flat and the center is down to the treadwear indicator. The outside still has a lot of depth left, but I think it is time to replace the rears and not take a chance with them. Car has stock OEM Pirelli runflats now. I am ditching the runflats. Bought a nice inflator and plug kit to keep in the car. Looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires, but they don't make that tire in the 235-45-19 size. Thinking about going to 245-40-19 on the front. Anyone try this combination with the stock wheels? Anyone running the rear size 255-40-19 all the way around with stock wheels and have some experience with that? Suggestions before I spend a bunch of money?

I have Pirelli 255-40-19's on all corners. Same circumference as the 235-45-19s. Only a couple of manufactures of that tire size. The 245-40-19 will be a smaller circumference. The 255s fit fine on the front. I really don't like the Pirelli run flats. Let us know what you decide.

Dave

Ok, thanks for the info. I ordered the Michelins for the rear. The fronts are still good, but when the time comes I may just put the same rear size on the front since Dave is running his that way. It would be nice to be able to rotate the same size tires front to back anyway. I just wanted to make sure it did not cause any clearance problems on the front. Also that it did not cause any handling problems. It may cause problems having run flats on the front and regular tires on the rear until I wear the fronts out, we will see about that. The reviews I have read on the Michelins all seem to be positive and I think they will improve the ride and reduce road noise.

Ok, thanks for the info. I ordered the Michelins for the rear. The fronts are still good, but when the time comes I may just put the same rear size on the front since Dave is running his that way. It would be nice to be able to rotate the same size tires front to back anyway. I just wanted to make sure it did not cause any clearance problems on the front. Also that it did not cause any handling problems. It may cause problems having run flats on the front and regular tires on the rear until I wear the fronts out, we will see about that. The reviews I have read on the Michelins all seem to be positive and I think they will improve the ride and reduce road noise.

I don't think it a good idea to mix tires, especially run flats and non runflats. Check out the Kumho SPT's. Great rating and you can buy four for the price of the Michelin's. I put them on my Vet and they are great.

Dave

I don't think it a good idea to mix tires, especially run flats and non runflats. Check out the Kumho SPT's. Great rating and you can buy four for the price of the Michelin's. I put them on my Vet and they are great.

Dave
I have a corvette friend that put these on his vette and they look awsome I especially like the tread pattern plus it is a very good tire.;)

Fred:wave:

I can't seem to find these in our 255-40-19 size. Do you hace a source for these Kuhmo SPT's?

Dave

I may wait on installing the Michelins until I need all four, I know it's not a good idea to mix tires. I was just wondering why these cars have staggered tire sizes, better handling or just saving money because larger tires up front really don't help cornering?

My STS also had staggered sizes, but some models had all the same size. I went with the same size on all four wheels and could not tell the difference, but I don't often push them to the limit either.

FYI the Michelins Pilot Sport AS Plus are available on E-bay for $275 ea. Check out the reviews on Tirerack. Good performance and a 500 Treadwear rating!

I trashed the OE Pirelli run flats and replaced them with Michelin PS2 AS +. Went with 255 40 ZR 19s on all four corners. Absolutely no clearance issues whatsoever. Ride quality has improved dramatically as has the tire noise reduction. car feels much more responsive to steering input. I actually worked with a couple of Michelin engineers on sizes and compounds and they felt the PS2 AS+ was the best all around high performance all season tire for an XLR_V. If you go this route you must do an alignment due to the new front tire size. After I put a 1000 or so miles on them I'll post my observations. So far they are huge improvement over the Pirelli's

Bill, that's the news I wanted to hear. I bought two rear Michelin Pilot Sport AS + tires and was trying to decide if I wanted to put the same size on the front. Dave has the same size Pirelli on all four corners with no problems. Good point about the alignment, I never thought about that. Let us know how they do after 1000 miles. I hope to put mine on before the trip to Colorado in May.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom