Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Water dripping in cabin

rheavn

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'09 Platinum #787
The wife, sitting in the passenger seat, said water was dripping from behind the glove box. A/C was on in a humid climate. Shut off a/c and dripping stopped. Any one else experienced this???

Hey

PROMPT ATTENTION is required !! Just clean out the condensate drain tube. It is located under the car...passenger side ...comes out of the evaporator box.......it is supposed to drain from unit onto the ground. Probably has some debris in the way preventing adequate draining out. Easy fix. You don't want that draining out on the passenger side floor. Huge amount of electronics located under there. That could be disastrous!!!!.

While doing that, might as well go out back to the trunk area and check the hydraulic unit and electronics "well". Make sure that it is also clear to drain out.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! Todays project. What is the suggested method for removing debris? Air up the drain tube? Evaporator box removal?

while you are at it,,,,,,,,,,

Might be also a good time to check out your cabin air filter................to remove > under hood > door is on firewall above the battery.

Just replaced cabin filter, but will check to ensure it didn't get wet.

The wife, sitting in the passenger seat, said water was dripping from behind the glove box. A/C was on in a humid climate. Shut off a/c and dripping stopped. Any one else experienced this???

!R-AIR CLIMATISÉ et CHAUFFAGE-[1].jpg

Find enclosed an explodes drawing showing the AC/Heat components, the cores are sitting in the pan number 14 on the RH side ( LH for you ) is a nozzle, that seems to be were the overflow hose is connected.

Visit an A/C repair shop of your area, it could be many thing that gets the core with ice and then turn in water, has Bill mentioned it could be only the hose that needs to be clear of debris.

The passenger side, under the carpet is the BCM large fuse box and if the water gets in it could produce moisture and other problems.

On google ask for the AC repairs shops you could be surprise of the availability in your area.

Good luck

IAN :wave:

Cabin filter still looks brand new. No signs of moisture.

Picture breakdown is helpful. A/C lines come through the firewall directly behind the middle of the engine. Very little vision of exactly where & how they exit looking from above, even with engine cover removed. When I can safely raise the car I will investigate from under the car.

In the mean time if someone can enlighten me on where the drain tube is routed & where it precisely exits it would be appreciated.

Has anyone removed their glove box? if so, instruction please.

Thanks in advance...………………………………..

Last edited:
no need to remove th glove box. You problem is outside under the hood. There is a rubber hose connected to the nipple shown in the photo just above the line from number 14 .It is a lip rubber just like at the rear under the top motor. It gets things in it and sticks closed. It usually drips water about the middle to passenger side of the car at the rear of the engine. Just get a coat hanger or wire to it and open it up and everything will run out. Also on each side of the car under the rear middle of the fender you will see a rubber tube. That goes from the top down the windshield post and exits under the car. it can get stopped up. amazing what mice can do. run a wire in it and check to see if its open. It can over flow and into the area under the dash

I will again look under the hood. So far I have not seen anything that looks like a rubber hose. I wonder if removing the battery would help.

I will check for the hoses you describe in each of the front wheel wells.

If I can find them, I can clear them. I have drain lines on my motor coach that need to be cleared occasionally.

Thanks...……………………………...

I will again look under the hood. So far I have not seen anything that looks like a rubber hose. I wonder if removing the battery would help.

I will check for the hoses you describe in each of the front wheel wells.

If I can find them, I can clear them. I have drain lines on my motor coach that need to be cleared occasionally.

Thanks...……………………………...

Hy

Attached a photo that indicate were you can find that tube ( hose ) also are the other photos of the drain tubes.

Good LUCK.

IAN :thumbsup

D1013[1].jpg25-853505-1[1].jpg10280066-1997-2008-corvette-c5-c6-cadillac-xlr-cowl-drain-tube-used-oem-10280066[1].jpg

Your pictures are VERY HELPFUL!!!!!

Thanks a million...…………………………………...

Hi rheavn.

Its me and the members that we all thank you to bring up your problem, the block ac overflow drain tube is the problem for many of the DIY like you.

Let us know the results.

IAN:wave:

Cannot see from above. I will have to address from below. Unfortunately during this current virus situation I am unable to go to my shop. I will update when I can.

HI rheavn

It would be easier by the under, if your XLR is close or need an oil Change, it could be an opportunity to do it at a friendly owner service station of your area.

You can take the opportunity to have him looking at the obstruct drain tube while he is getting the oil out the motor.

From the above of the car it could be hard to see the drain, enclosed are 2 photos ( again ) to help you in identifying it.

Good luck
IAN:wave:

A2  100_0955[1][1] (1) - Copie.jpgDSCF0046[1].jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry