Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Water leaks from windshield pillars

napabob1

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Steel Blue
Hi every one and Happy New Year to all!!

I have a 2005 and about 6 months ago I noticed water dripping from the vents at the bottom of both windshield pillars. (presume this defrosts the side windows). Usually after a heavy or prolonged rain, the water will "pour" out when I make a turn or hard stop. Yesterday it started as i was driving through a storm.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know the fix?

Many thanks!

This might be worth a shot:

A lot of water drains off the windshield into what's called the plenum chamber drain system, then down the outside of the plenum to the underside of the car. At the nine-year mark, your car may have a clogged drain or plenum chamber.

The plenum chamber is rectangular with rounded corners.

The air inlet grill panel, the plenum chamber and drains must not be blocked by debris. The plenum chamber is located in front of the windshield, beneath the air inlet grill panel. If you have blockage, try the following:

Remove the air inlet grill panel:
1) Open the hood.
2) Remove the windshield wiper arms:
a) Place the ignition rocker to the ACC position.
b) Turn the wiper switch to the DELAY position.
c) Turn the ignition rocker switch to the OFF position when the wipers are in mid-cycle.
d) Place a piece of masking tape on the windshield to mark where the wiper tips end to help out later during re-installation.
e) Disconnect the windshield washer hose from the air inlet panel.
f) Remove the wiper arm covers.
g) Remove the wiper arm nuts. Torque to 21 ft/lbs when re-installing.
3) Remove the four push-pins retaining the air inlet grill panel.
4) Remove the retainers securing the sides of the air inlet grill panel to the fenders.
5) Remove the air inlet grill panel.
6) Clean the plenum chamber.
7) Flush the plenum chamber, drains and the air inlet grill panel with fresh water.
8) Reverse the procedure starting at step 5.

Hope this helps!

CC :wave:

Last edited:
I have the same leak on the passenger side pillar vent. Took it to the dealership and they use a third party company to detect and fix all leaks. I was told it was the seal between the windshield and top. They didn't charge me to have them look at it and I told them I would hold off on getting it fixed seeing I was heading back to Iraq and the car inti the garage for another 5 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<snip>They didn't charge me to have them look at it and I told them I would hold off on getting it fixed seeing I was heading back to Iraq and the car inti the garage for another 5 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be safe over there. Happy New Year.

Tim

Thanks for the detailed process. Before I go through that I just want to be sure this could be the cause. These vents sit well above the plenum and I think it would take some serious air pressure to get water to travel rearward about 2 feet and upward about 10 inches them just drip out. I always suspected defective weatherstripping above the windshield. However, your process is so thorough it sounds as if you have dealt with this problem successfully. Is that the case?

Many thanks!
Bob
:dunno:

Thanks for the detailed process. Before I go through that I just want to be sure this could be the cause. These vents sit well above the plenum and I think it would take some serious air pressure to get water to travel rearward about 2 feet and upward about 10 inches them just drip out. I always suspected defective weatherstripping above the windshield. However, your process is so thorough it sounds as if you have dealt with this problem successfully. Is that the case?

Many thanks!
Bob
:dunno:

Nope! Which is why I started my post with, "This might be worth a shot." Without being there, I can't troubleshoot effectively. I would start with windshield seals and work my way down though.

i just experienced this also, water gushing out of passenger side defrost vent, in A pillar. when making a hard left turn in the rain. only did it on passenger side. drivers side was dry when making right turns:)
seems like water is getting into the A pillar up where the roof meets the windshield, top of A pillar?
anyone have schematic of hvac system inside the A pillar?
also of note, my passenger A pillar has a large bubble, under the vinyl, down near the dashboard. the last 6 inches above the dashboard are kinda not glued down, a bubble the size of the palm of your hand... might be water causing the vinyl to come unglued?
anyone know how to disassemble the A pillar to remove the vinyl cover and expose the air vent system, drains etc...
i'll look it over more closely tomorrow.

Ah, those hard left turns in the rain. Playing around, are ya? :chuckle

I'm not at all confident in this, but just on the off-chance... Have you verified that the lid to the cabin air filter is secure? That "catch basin" at the base of the windshield can accumulate water, if it doesn't drain properly (or, if it has a hole in it, as mine did), it might dump some of the water into the engine compartment if/when it sloshed over on braking or turns. If that lid to the cabin air filter is not properly installed (or if it's missing), that water could get into the vents. :dunno::dunno:

Another thread on this site has also pointed out that a clogged drain tube from the A/C can cause water in the vents. Running the A/C in the rain (100 % humidity) exacerbates the accumulation of condensation. Just a thought.

It's hard for me to believe that a leak in the weatherstripping at the top of the windshield could result in such a catastrophic amount of water getting in, and not be readily apparent with the top down. I have nothing to contribute regarding the "bubble" on the pillar trim.

FWIW :confused:

Tim

i just experienced this also, water gushing out of passenger side defrost vent, in A pillar. when making a hard left turn in the rain. only did it on passenger side. drivers side was dry when making right turns:)
seems like water is getting into the A pillar up where the roof meets the windshield, top of A pillar?
anyone have schematic of hvac system inside the A pillar?
also of note, my passenger A pillar has a large bubble, under the vinyl, down near the dashboard. the last 6 inches above the dashboard are kinda not glued down, a bubble the size of the palm of your hand... might be water causing the vinyl to come unglued?
anyone know how to disassemble the A pillar to remove the vinyl cover and expose the air vent system, drains etc...
i'll look it over more closely tomorrow.

I had this problem arise on the driver side awhile ago. It was resolved by my "go to" Cadillac dealership.
I was told that a drain line in the pillar had gotten clogged and needed cleared. Problem has been resolved
for several months now.

Easiest solution is do not park or drive in the rain. :laugh:
Next option is go to Masey Cadillac North in Orlando and ask for Troy.
or try your favorite dealership. I can't add any more for the technical "hands on" fixers.

Steve

There must be a trick to get to the drain line inside the a pillar. I can't believe that the weather strip outside the a pillar is the only way water can get into the pillar. My weather strips are perfect condition.this car has to have been garaged its whole life. Zero dirt in any strips or crevices. I just replaced my pollen filter.the cover is tight. Soon this car will be garaged again. But want to work out the bugs so I don't have to worry about it. So strange how so much water can get in there!! It was sitting out overnight in a 2 inch rain storm. Other than the pillar issue everything else was dry in the morning.

Please review my previous post. If the drain(s) from the plenum chamber is blocked, water run-off from the windshield (lots of surface area) can find it's way into the air inlet and be forced out of the pillar vent, though it's more likely to exit from a lower vent area. (This will depend on the position of the rolling film mode door, controlled by the HVAC.) Normally, water accumulation in the plenum should exit beneath the vehicle unless the plenum chamber water management system (GM-ese for drain tubes) is obstructed.

As the XLR drives into its second decade, it makes sense that more and more of these types of accumulated debris problems are bound to occur.

upon closer inspection at the top of the A pillar there are two gaskets with drain built in. one is distinctly part of the upper windshield frame and the drain looks to flow inside the A pillar.
the other looks to be part of the window gasket system and runs along the bottom edge of the A pillar, external to the pillar.
both appear to be utilized to drain water from the window -A pillar- roof interface.
i have not disassembled the parts you described... yet.
i have been looking all over my car and it really does not appear to have any debris anywhere in the gasket drain systems, so i dont think these would be clogged.
more likely the gaskets are kinked collapsed with age...
so unless i plan to replace them i dont think disassembling/cleaning would yield results. car will now be stored in garage for the rest of its life, so wont be an issue for me again.
i will try to run some water thru them, to see if i can trace where it goes, and if either backs up, but need to rig up a nozzle to the garden hose that wont soak the rest of the interior at the same time!

In that case, it might be safer to pour a cup of water at a time in the suspect areas rather than use a garden hose.

Or some compressed air if you can get to the inlet. Just don't use too much air pressure!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom