Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

water pump. I think

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
Every once in a while I see antifreeze in the floor. It may go 6 days and nothing and then on the 7 th a little puddle. It is coming from the front of the engine. Not the radiator, Thats new. It is either the water pump or something around that. Any ideas? And if it is the water pump how hard is that to change.

We had a leak in the reservoir - actually it developed a small crack. Pretty common on the '04.

Here's the info:

Water Pump Replacement

<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=924644&evc=sm&pubid=423&cellId=37160&mspsdsubkey=2769#ss1-924644">Removal Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls - 4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Remove the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Remove the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System . <LI type=1>Remove the water pump bolts.
    TifToGif

<LI type=1>Remove the water pump pulley from the water pump. <LI type=1>Remove the water pump from the engine front cover. <LI type=1>Remove the water pump gasket and discard.
  2. Clean and inspect the water pump. Refer to Water Pump Cleaning and Inspection in Engine Mechanical - 4.6L (LH2).
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=924644&evc=sm&pubid=423&cellId=37160&mspsdsubkey=2769#ss2-924644">Installation Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Install the water pump pulley to the water pump.
    TifToGif

<LI type=1>Install the water pump and gaskets to the engine front cover. Notice

Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

<LI type=1>Install the water pump pulley bolts to the water pump. Tighten Tighten the water pump pulley bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

<LI type=1>Install the water pump bolts. Tighten
    1. <LI type=a>Tighten the water pump bolts a first pass to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).
    2. Tighten the water pump bolts a final pass to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
    <LI type=1>Install the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Install the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement in Engine Controls - 4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
  2. Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls - 4.6L (LH2).
It used to be super-simple to replace a NorthStar water pump, as long as you had the special wrench to get it off and back on; it looks like the XLR N* doesn't have the same setup due to the non-tranverse mounting of the engine.

leak

I had my 05 in the shop just last week for a small coolant leak and it turned out to be the thermostat gasket. they fixed it right up.:)

Every once in a while I see antifreeze in the floor. It may go 6 days and nothing and then on the 7 th a little puddle. It is coming from the front of the engine. Not the radiator, Thats new. It is either the water pump or something around that. Any ideas? And if it is the water pump how hard is that to change.

The water pump is not difficult to change, it bolts in. Getting everything out of your way and back on will be the hardest part.

Document ID: 926272 <HR>
Water Outlet Replacement
Tools Required

J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=926272&pubCellSyskey=37311&pubObjSyskey=926272&from=sm&laborOpCode=&cellId=37311#ss1-926272">Removal Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling . <LI type=1>Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls-4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Remove the fuel injector sight shield. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical-4.6L (LH2).
    927998.gif

<LI type=1>Remove the throttle body from the water outlet housing. Refer to Throttle Body Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls-4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Remove the MAP sensor. Refer to Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Replacement in Engine Controls-4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Remove the purge solenoid. Refer to Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement in Engine Controls-4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Position the J 38185 to the hose clamps to remove the following hoses from the water outlet housing:
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The surge tank outlet hose</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The radiator hose</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The heater hose</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The bypass hose</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

928004.gif

<LI type=1>Remove the bolts securing the water outlet housing to the cylinder heads. Discard the gasket. <LI type=1>Clean and inspect. Refer to Water Outlet Housing Cleaning and Inspection in Engine Mechanical-4.6L (LH2).
  2. Remove the following components from the water outlet housing:
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The water crossover pipe plug.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The throttle body inlet heater hose fitting.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=926272&pubCellSyskey=37311&pubObjSyskey=926272&from=sm&laborOpCode=&cellId=37311#ss2-926272">Installation Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Install a new water outlet housing gasket. <LI type=1>Place the water outlet housing in position and hand start the bolts to hold the housing in place. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

<LI type=1>Tighten the water outlet housing bolts. Tighten
    Tighten the water outlet housing bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

<LI type=1>Connect the following hoses to the water outlet housing:
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The bypass hose</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The heater hose</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The radiator hose</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The surge tank inlet hose</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<LI type=1>Position the J 38185 to the hose clamps to secure the hoses to the water outlet housing. <LI type=1>Install the purge solenoid. Refer to Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement in Engine Controls-4.6L (LH2).
    927998.gif

<LI type=1>Install the map sensor. Refer to Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Replacement in Engine Controls-4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Install the throttle body to the water outlet housing. Refer to Throttle Body Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls-4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Install the fuel injector sight shield. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical-4.6L (LH2). <LI type=1>Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls-4.6L (LH2).
  2. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
Look for a coolant leak from the two water outlet seals.</FORM>

Were all so lucky to have Cadillac tech as a member/super moderator to provide us with all the up to date information and tech notices with such detail. Thanks a lot Bruce for all you do for us we all really appreciate it.:D

Speedway

Fred:wave::wave::wave::wave:

BRUCE- I recall the older NorthStar engines required (or were recommended) to have a few "sealant" pellets thrown in after a coolant flush. Do our versions of the NorthStar require that? I'm going to guess that I did it on my 95 STS during a coolant flush & fill?

No you don't need to add them to any of the NorthStar V-8s. We used those more on the old 4100,4.1,4.5,4.9 V-8s. I don't think it would hurt anything to add just a couple of them, but I wouldn't add more then that.

Were all so lucky to have Cadillac tech as a member/super moderator to provide us with all the up to date information and tech notices with such detail. Thanks a lot Bruce for all you do for us we all really appreciate it.:D

Speedway

Fred:wave::wave::wave::wave:

You are very welcome. I'm glad the information is helpful.

Thanks for all the info bruce. I dont know if it is the pump but it is coming from that basic area and you can't see anything in there. I guess I will start pulling things off till I see the leak. Any idea how much time it takes to change the pump? the whole job that is.

I got the water pump changed this week. That was the problem. The weep hole is on the top on this car and it was leaking. I also changed the belts and hoses while I was in there so she should be good to go for a while. By the way, the ac belt is a B***h to replace.

Nice job. How many hours did you have in it?

I was so glad to see this thread. Last week, I had that pesky low coolant light to come on. I stopped by the local shop, they put antifreeze in, although it didn't look that low. It sat in the garage for a week. When my Dad drove it yesterday, he the light was on again, so he put more in. He was thinking the other guy might not have "burped" it. Inside the car, I smell antifreeze occasionally. I've taken it to several places, including the dealership. Things have been replaced, but nothing is fixing it.:pat:

I had that same issue several months ago. I took it into the dealer and they said the water pump and radiator were both leaking. They looked up my warranty information and found that the warranty had expired a couple weeks prior and that they repair would be about $1500. The shop staff called the district warranty rep and they agreed to cover the repair. Radiator and water pump were replaced and everything is great now (especially my pocket book).

water pump

I got the water pump changed this week. That was the problem. The weep hole is on the top on this car and it was leaking. I also changed the belts and hoses while I was in there so she should be good to go for a while. By the way, the ac belt is a B***h to replace.
When you changed the water pump did you have to use a gasket sealent.... and did you have to purge the air out of the cooling system ?:dunno:

Yes on the gasket sealer and I just filled it and ran it for a while with the radiator cap off. Worked well.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom