Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

What to buy?

David Mader

What would you do? Get a high mileage 2008 (140,000) or a 40,000 mile 2004-5. Both are around $14,000.00.

Thanks.
Dave

Tough call but all else being equal (like you’ve personally checked both cars out & no current major problems), I’d go with the ‘08. ‘04-‘05 had some kinks that weren’t worked out until 2006, are more likely to have more severe DRL cracking/burning, and there are some parts even harder to find for those years. A number of people on here have run their cars up to 140k+ miles without a lot of problems, so I don’t know how much that should be a concern for the ‘08.

Others opinions may vary. Good luck making your decision!

I'd get the 08 & just not pay as much

14k buys u a lot of car nower days - I'd push for closer to 10k flat

Yeah I am thinking 10-12 for the 08. Most people will run from a car with that miles but the 08 is a good car. The suspension modules fail on the 04 and 05 and they are 1500 the cruise module is 500 they do not fail on the 06-08 and when they do there are plenty of them 06-09 parts interchange but some 04 and 05 parts are for those years only .)8 engines with 30-50,000 miles sell often for 1000$ and the rest of the driveline is also pretty cheap. depends if you want to drive 5K a year or 15k a year. I still would go with the 08 but 14K is pushing it and I doubt it would bring that unless just perfect except the mileage

My other xLR guy right up the street has his up for 13k rn. It has 99k and it's a 05 I believe - I told him he wont see much if anything over 10k

^ Real nice car too tho < Mine is the ghetto hood version up close compared to his

What would you do? Get a high mileage 2008 (140,000) or a 40,000 mile 2004-5. Both are around $14,000.00.

Thanks.
Dave

Lower mileage if it's confirmed.
You see, if it is an '04 with 40k, that's 2,500 miles a year, or...nothing. Sunday drives only more than likely, obviously a cherished car.

Yup, look at the headlights - see if they're toasted at all. Taillights - see if they work as designed. Depending where the car actually is and how it was maintained, they may be all fine, and all the headlight fixes are out now to cure that issue forever if they're not already baked.

It's a 5-speed versus a 6. Whoop-de-do. I'm sure there's a handful of other intrinsic differences, but it's still the mileage that would do it for me. Oh, and maybe give or take away a point in the equation for the color if you like it or not.

An '08 with that mileage was driven near 12,000 miles a year. If it was a 'Sunday car', someone was really hard on the right pedal - so odds are it was not, and used fairly regularly regardless of things like weather. If it comes with a history, and all the suspension, brakes, exhaust and such have already be done...perhaps. I'd look very carefully underneath that one and see the condition of things and try to judge if everything was maintained accordingly.

There's something that people need to understand about cars when in operation... they 'cycle' (everything bends and flexes) all the time when truly in use, and pretty much everything in a car has a finite lifespan. The less cycling all those bits and pieces have done, the more 'original' the car will feel. It's not just shock absorbers - it's the frame, all the suspension components, all the electronics, exhaust, of course engine...hey, wiggle a door up and down, or look at the driver's seat cushion, and you'll get the idea pretty quick.

The folding top is destined to be a headache at some point no matter what year (I've seen better designed hide-a-beds), so I'm considering that a moot point. The obvious one is to check the pump pocket in the trunk and see if any of them show signs of being flooded (corroded pump body) with water prior.

Ideally, if you're not 100% comfy making the call on your own, get someone who really knows XLRs and Corvettes to have a look at 'em with you. Or post a flurry of pictures and further details and maybe by general consensus you can arrive to a conclusion: the best value for your situation and desires.

HTH!

Gord :thumbsup

I have a 2005 with 33k miles on it. I have had the car for 10 years and purchased the car with 10k miles on it. It has been garaged at all times, live in South Florida so no snow or cold weather. That being said, I have done an amazing amount of repairs on the car for 33k miles. I love the car, it drives amazing and looks great, but a 2005 is expensive to keep up. I can afford it and do everything that needs to be done and beyond, but it has been a lot. Also, i don't and really can't do the work on my car, so if you are able to do most of your repairs yourself, makes a big difference. If you get a low mile, do the repairs as they come up, you can have this car for another 10 years and it will look great, drive great and alway be a great conversation starter. I plan on keeping mine at least another 10. Then when you have some extra money laying around, do some great projects. Drilled and slotted rotors and painted calipers, always use red top battery, replace the stereo, add some exhaust, keep good tires on and alignment done right. It will make you happy for a long time for a reasonable total out of pocket.

Last edited:
I will take newer that has been used over old that has sat a lot almost every time unless you are looking at an investment car. 04 and 05 will cost you almost double on maintenance items that do go bad. if you can do the work yourself then that's great. Neither car will be worth more in 3 years than you paid for it. Many improvements In the engine driveling and other parts on the 08. Of course if the 08 still has the original oil that's a problem. But if the car was reasonably taken care of it still gets the same looks, it drives well or better and the repairs you will need will be cheaper. read back thru the stories on 04 and 05 cost to keep them going

[h=1]2008 Cadillac XLR FREE DELIVERY Premium GPS Navigation Adaptive Cruise Heated Leat[/h][FONT=&quot]Stock # 600223, Northstar 4.6L VVT DOHC V8 SFI Engine, Automatic, 136355 mi., 17/27 MPG[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$14,490

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<button class="btn btn-default hash-st_request_a_quote custom-btn popup-overlay" data-url="http://www.texascars.net/eprice-request-popup?source=vdp&vuid=35601389" style="margin: 0px 0px 4px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: bold; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 13px; line-height: 1.42857; font-family: inherit; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; padding: 6px 10px; white-space: nowrap; vertical-align: middle; touch-action: manipulation; user-select: none; background: rgb(77, 94, 113); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); border-radius: 4px 0px 0px 4px; position: relative; float: left; height: 40px;">Request Info</button><button class="btn btn-default btn-gray compareAjax save-vehicle-to-compare" rel="comp35601389" style="margin: 0px 0px 4px -1px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: bold; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 15px; line-height: 1.42857; font-family: inherit; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; padding: 6px 12px; white-space: nowrap; vertical-align: middle; touch-action: manipulation; user-select: none; background-image: none; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(108, 108, 108); border-radius: 0px 3px 3px 0px; background-color: rgb(230, 230, 230); background-position: 0px 0px; box-shadow: none; position: relative; float: left; height: 40px;">Save</button>

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
  • Whats everybodys opinion on this? No Cadillac dealer service records. Could this car make it this far with no dealer repairs?
[/FONT]

Its at North Dallas Direct. Their always on Ebay. $10,000.00 max and I pay shipping to Cleveland, $1,100.00

My opinion is…. I would go for the 2004 for theirs same price, because of the power train low mileage. ( if the car was not involve in an accident )

The maintenance components would be the same for both XLR, the 2004/05 represent about 50% of the XLR sold and build within 2 years, that is why we ear more about them.

As far is the body it self, it is made of fiberglass type, the floor is made of wood its frame is huge and very reliable that is why after so many years an XLR looks like a new car.

The purchase price seem not necessary a real good deal, I would renegociate it and use that save money for, in case that some maintenances components fails.( like brakes, S/A and on... )

IAN:wave:

Dave asks > What to buy?

Dave,,, I bought a '05, one owner with 22K miles and drove it up to 37K miles before my lady passed away and I had too many cars to take care of (6). I will say it was the very best 'road' car I ever owned, and outside of the music disc player getting stuck disc I had absolutely no issues with the car. I put new tires on at 33K miles, Bridgestone run-flats since it was used for long distance road trips and w/o a spare it was more reasonable to venture out with run-flats. Those tires were excellent :thumbsup After researching most of the available reading on this forum from owners and hearing of the 'lack of available parts' and service issues,,,,decided it was time that the car needed a new home. I sure regretted selling it and still miss that car today :pat:

F Y I,,,might be good to watch this video? >

YouTube

Also, other opinions: Is the Cadillac XLR the Worst Modern Corvette Ever Made? - CorvetteForum

You decide to buy or not..... :dunno:

XLR at Pavilions.jpg

XLR 1z PV red 2.jpg

Last edited:
I love that - The "The Worst Modern Day Corvette Ever Made" < I read that right after getting my xLR

Me & my xLR kinda found each other - I was a car dealer, ran out & bought mine Houston. It was cheap, too cheap - when I got there, it looked about 5x worse than I expected - But, the guy took even way lay less than we discussed

So - this useless year hit. . . We were all shut down for about two months now. It was still sitting in the lot. . . . I said screw it & just started hammering out all of the random work it needed myself since we had zero work anyway

And, somehow I wound up keeping it & go figure - The Cadillac xLR was the car me & one of my best friends drooled over at the yearly car show here back in 2006 I believe. He ended his life right before I got back with the car. Out of all the cars we bought/sold - this was the last one I have left in the lot. . . . . So, out of all the hundreds of cars we have sold - this one is the last one standing(go figure)

The way I treat this car is that it always gives me something to spin a wrench on. If you're looking for solid, low cost reliability - theses cars aren't really it. . . Some do last, most will have random gremlins all over the place for life - it's pretty much like any other super high end car of that era < but, somewhat better "most" parts are quite cheap, or should I say some - a take out engine or transmission is under 1k - yet each tail light is 1,500. . . .

If you want a super nice xLR - I can vouch for the one for sale here in AZ. . . He just needs a little persuasion. He had to just look at mine since he's right up the street. His car is what an xLR should look like. Since he paid almost double for his compared to mine - Is kinda why I am a ok with mine - burned #7 coil or not

Attachments

• 63DE3036-D1B7-426F-A968-C209E51611A7.jpg
    63DE3036-D1B7-426F-A968-C209E51611A7.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
2006 XLR STAR BLACK LIMITED EDITION
What are your thoughts on the above. Been listed since October 2019. $20,000 Firm...
I’m thinking $16,000?

David, I have an 06 that I would like to sell. I would want $20,000. I think this Black Limited Edition is worth $20,000. all day long. I may be a bit bias as I really like these cars. You don't see this model become available all that ofter.
John F.

pure zen... My opinion is the maintenance of an XLR or a Corvette could be very well the same as most maintenances parts are the same.

The corvette owners are some what Younger and less money value minded and do not necessary really care for the cost of the repairs.

As far is for the video and the XLR problems, I had my radiator remade for $180, the engine oil leaks on the oil pan was coming from the Valves/timing covers, repaired for $350, there is still a leak remaining and it is the rear crankshaft seal, leaking only a bit.
The fuel tank is the same as the c6 corvette why should it be more expensive to fix it, no body complain strongly from the c6 owners.

We all know that the XLR is only a luxury corvette c6, the real Cadillac was the EVOC with its steel body, it was economical to introduce the XLR (actually a c5/6 based) however the consumers are not fools and few years after its introduction, they stop buying that so call Cadillac…. and GM had to stop its production.

An Evoc lover.

IAN:blinzel:

The hydraulics on the top - enough said

Electrical Gremlins throughout the whole car, al 20 BCM's & ECU's

Leaks from the engine bay(this includes:rack, engine seals & hoses)

MRC suspension is a joke

Headlights & tail lamps are insanely priced

That about covers the bads of an xLR

Trans & Engine are strong - The 4.6 rwd is a solid motor

But, at the end - It's still an amazing, very rare & special car

A C6 is a easy way out & to me it just doesn't have that pizaz and xLR always will

LSNot

Regarding top problems, the c6 has problems with its tonneau cover storage of the soft top, all cars with hydraulic top have the same problems.

Electrical problems, most corvettes have the same problems, the grounds seems to be a strong one.

Leaks I agreed

MRC is the same problem on the c6 and not better on other late Cadillac models with this feature.

Front and rear lamps yes its a f.... joke.

Yes the power train and its chassis are excellent…. its style ( pick up on the EVOQ ) and elegance make of this car some like one of a kind.

The c5 and the c6 was a way out for GM/Cadillac in building this luxury corvette ( XLR) with an economical investment.

My suspicion is he EVOQ was in first place design by the GM familly in the old world ( Germany ) and than transfert in the USA for building the EVOC.... was it with a corvette frame from the start i suspect….I dont think so.

This concept car had the same XLR style, however most of the components were changed in very short of time to build a such complex Cadillac XLR.

The front and rear were changes, the wheel base was shorter, the interior completely different even the retractable top was also changes for producing the XLR on a fiberglass type body ( instead of steel ) on the c6 frame.

Yes…. the XlR is a great car….. the EVOC is even greater and it is a real Cadillac.

Attached is a photo of this fine Cadillac EVOQ

IAN

4-Cadillac_Sixteen_10[1].jpg

Last edited:
I agree with gord and like woody I too live and keep my xlr in garage but I’m up in north Florida. Take a look and feel the edge of the trunk. llook in the driver side trunk cubby. That’s where the brains of the car/top are located pretty much. Look for water residue or have your nose to the sniffing. If you smell mold of any kind back out or do a car fax. I bought my 06 infrared from the dealer in 2012 she had 20,758 miles and I also bought a extended warranty at the time of purchase. 2 or 3 years ago my warranty went out. The warranty ppl paid out around 16 k worth of parts and labor. Now everything is on me. A year ago my front shock went out and decided to replace all at the same time. That was a chunk of change also recently my radiator hose had a leak or the radiator. So that was a purchase. I have kept records on every maintenance record from new tires to new key fob batteries. Even if I didn’t have the work done at my dealer (mainly tires and recently a new battery) But everything else was done at my dealership. G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back