Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

What's your MGP?

BILLS_XLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black/Shale XLR-V
Just installed E3 spark plugs and started to look closely at my Average MPG.... Looks like I'm between 10.8 and 12.1 depending on the amount of local highway driving. Around town its right around 11. Dont notice any significant change since I swapped the plugs (three tanks of gas) if anything it went down. Anyone have some of their numbers that thay would share as mine seems a bit low??? Thanks, Bill

Just installed E3 spark plugs and started to look closely at my Average MPG.... Looks like I'm between 10.8 and 12.1 depending on the amount of local highway driving. Around town its right around 11. Dont notice any significant change since I swapped the plugs (three tanks of gas) if anything it went down. Anyone have some of their numbers that thay would share as mine seems a bit low??? Thanks, Bill

Hey Bill,

While I don't have a "V", my mileage ranges from 20 - 23 (but that's about 2/3 highway driving - averaging around 75mph). I've noticed a couple of mpg's improvement since installing the Volant Cold Air Intake a couple of weeks ago. If I get stuck in traffic, my mpg's go down to about 17 - 18. Straight highway mileage gets me about 26-27 mpg's. Hope that helps.

Wow. I have a stock 05 XLR and my average over the last year is 18 mpg. And my wife thinks I have a lead foot!!!

Mileage is comparable to yours .... when I use a tank for strictly in-town, short-hop freeway driving it averages btw 11-13 .... this time on our trip to CO, I heard lots of comparison numbers being discussed .... seems like the XLR (depending upon weather/road conditions) cruises at about 23-27 mph. Now, when the winds were pushing us into New Mexico I swear we were getting about 70 mph :lol: there for awhile.

That big ol' NorthStar does a pretty good job of efficient fuel usage on it's own .... don't know that a mile or two better 'ph makes much difference.

Funny this came up!! I was thinking about posting my numbers from the CO trip. For the whole "Cruzin' CO" trip, I drove 2,399 miles, whole trip average MPG was 23.1. At one fill up on the way home, I got 27.5 MPG.

I got 27.5 driving back from Kansas with the A/C off. Don't do any city driving, but I average about 22 MPG mostly local driving. But it does change rapidly depending how many times you floor it. Last time I did that I got a ticket so I have been doing it a little less lately.

So far on this trip I have driven 681 mi with an average MPG of 26.8; last year to San Antonio I got between 27 and 32. 32 was between Colorado Springs and Las Cruces following First Robin at 75. Normally I drive 80-85 which cuts down the mileage.

I also have a V with E3 plugs... I dont' think my mileage changed at all between the stock and e3 plugs.

I'm really heavy on the pedal.... I get anywhere between 9 to 12 in the city... when I'm nice on the pedal I can get 20 or so on the highway.

Thanks to all!

XLRR3838: Thanks anyway but I think we're talking apples and oranges here.
Lola's Mom: Although your numbers closely mirror mine and I'm not real happy with them, I'm THRILLED to know that they are "normal". I wasn't attracted to an XLR-V for gas mileasge.
On my initial ride home from Florida (500 miles at 79.2 MPH with 25.2 MPG)I got the same highway numbers as everyone else so again not great but "normal".
Thanks to All.
Bill

I just had to laugh a little .... your car is performing normal .... but just wait until you meet this group .... ANYTHING but normal ....:laugh:

You will love us! :love:

We just got back fro 5 days in Vegas and got 25.6 on the highway. City is around 11 to 15 depends if I keep my foot out of it which is hard for me.:lol:

Speedway:wave:

Here is how I have it fiquried out.

Life of the car 5 years, lets say 100,000 miles @ 25mpg with gas at $3/gal works out to about $12k in fuel

Same numbers but @35mpg works out to about $8.6K in fuel

That is a difference of 3.4K over the 5 years or about $700/ year or $55/ month or about $2.00 a day.

Drive the econ box, or the X for just $2 a day more. I've made my choice. It is nice to know what you are /should be getting, but I'm not about to worry about my fuel costs and trying to wringe another mpg or two out of the car. A couple of WFO blasts and it's all out the window anyways.

Now how does Cubby say it "if you want to blend in"

Couldn't have said it better myself...:rocker::rocker:

As my daddy always said "If you worry about the gas milage, then you probably can't afford the car". On my trips to Illinois and back to Colorado I would average between 27 and 32 mpg on fill ups. If you are bucking strong headwinds your milage will go down. If it is hot and you are running the a/c your milage will also go down.

Just got back from vacation to the Oregon coast. Put just shy of 2700 miles on the XLR and averaged 27.1 MPG... very pleased!!! I usually drive 80-85 MPH.

I have a question I notice when I fill this car up and drive around town say 50 miles the gas gauge is down to 3/4. Does your XLR do this? My 04 Vette doesn't go down that quick?

Great Thread! We get similar mpg as everyone else, (not a V). Around town-- 17-18, trips on the freeway 25-28 mpg. I know it will get around 22 or better at 100 with the cruise set ! Wife says I need to keep my foot out of it for better mileage! But like Cubby says: might as well take the bus! I think we'll like this group!!! Incidently, I picked up about 1.5 mpg just by changing the air filters to K&N filters. Have had good luck with them on our other vehicles.

I have a question I notice when I fill this car up and drive around town say 50 miles the gas gauge is down to 3/4. Does your XLR do this? My 04 Vette doesn't go down that quick?
If I read that right, you realize the needle location has nothing to do with MPG, just the non-linear gas gauge. Anyhow, haven't really noticed that, but I wouldn't worry about it.
Bruce

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back