Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Warning! When does an XLR key cost between $1,000-$1,200

Army Al

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR V InfraRed/Shale 18.5K mi 11/28/14
Hopefully this becomes a sticky.

All XLR owners should know with a dead battery, the car key is the ONLY way in opening a locked car with the windows fully closed, the top up, the hood and trunk locked without occurring a cost. If you're purchasing a XLR, make certain you have the right key. If not the right key, lost or misplaced, how do you get into your dream machine? I can think of 4 ways. One way is to breakout the driver's or passenger's side window in opening the door. The second option is somehow forcing the hood open in getting to the battery compartment. 3rd option, breaking into the trunk. Lastly towing the car to a dealer.

The dealer must remove the rear bumper assembly, yes the total bumper assembly in removing the lock cylinder. That's when the stealership increases their profits by at least 8 hours of labor. I confirmed the repair cost with my local Cadillac dealer.

The cost of XLR ownership.

When hearing that news, I had a duplicate key made at the Cadillac dealership for the price of $3.75 and now have 2 spares. Happy motoring with the top down. By the way, I saw my 3rd XLR of the year today outside Atlanta.

Last edited:
The dealership can make you a new key with your Vin and proof of ownership, like your title, and picture ID.

The dealership can make you a new key with your Vin and proof of ownership, like your title, and picture ID.

The key doesn't have a chip. Do you think the stealership would lie to me?

The key doesn't have a chip. Do you think the stealership would lie to me?

I had my local Chevy dealer order the blanks for less than $4 each and then cut them for me for $40 based off the VIN. You do have to either be a shop with a work order signed by the vehicle owner or the vehicle owner with a copy of the title in your name. These rules are not the dealership rules. GM Corp performs audits of the keys cut based on VINs and it is their rules. Total cost was less than $50 and I have keys to my XLR. Once I had a key, I was able to program the second remote control FOB I bought off e-Bay. I now have two FOBs and two keys. The programming is simple if someone has not previously programmed 4 FOBs. Fortunately mine only had the original ones programmed.

KEY

Hopefully this becomes a sticky.

All XLR owners should know with a dead battery, the car key is the ONLY way in opening a locked car with the windows fully closed, the top up, the hood and trunk locked without occurring a cost. If you're purchasing a XLR, make certain you have the right key. If not the right key, lost or misplaced, how do you get into your dream machine? I can think of 4 ways. One way is to breakout the driver's or passenger's side window in opening the door. The second option is somehow forcing the hood open in getting to the battery compartment. 3rd option, breaking into the trunk. Lastly towing the car to a dealer.

The dealer must remove the rear bumper assembly, yes the total bumper assembly in removing the lock cylinder. That's when the stealership increases their profits by at least 8 hours of labor. I confirmed the repair cost with my local Cadillac dealer.

The cost of XLR ownership.

When hearing that news, I had a duplicate key made at the Cadillac dealership for the price of $3.75 and now have 2 spares. Happy motoring with the top down. By the way, I saw my 3rd XLR of the year today outside Atlanta.

FYI I have solved that problem, installed an external hood release, an external battery plug with a whisler jump & go stored behind the left grill panel.Will try to download pics.

David J.

Attachments

• external jumper plug.jpg
    external jumper plug.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 266
  • external jumper plug & battery.jpg
    external jumper plug & battery.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 277
  • external battery storage.jpg
    external battery storage.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 276
  • external hood release latch.jpg