Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! While putting the top down it stopped about 3/4 way down and locked up. I can't get it to go down or up,and the trunk is o

XLRAL

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
While putting the top down on my 2000 and for Cadillac XLR the top stopped about three-quarters of the way down and now my trunk lid is wide open just and it won't go up or down now what can I do

You need to manually stow your top. There's a section in your owner's manual that describes how to do this. It's simple and quick.

After that, you'll need to have a dealer scan the car. Make sure you tell them the hydraulic valve is in the bypass position if you don't return the valve to the normal position before you close your rear decklid.

CC :wave:

I never got a manual with my car. Sorry.

You need to manually stow your top. There's a section in your owner's manual that describes how to do this. It's simple and quick. Sorry, I never receivedreceived a manual with my car.

After that, you'll need to have a dealer scan the car. Make sure you tell them the hydraulic valve is in the bypass position if you don't return the valve to the normal position before you close your rear decklid.

Sorry, I never received a manual with u bought this car.PS I don't hear the pump running at all while engaging the up and down switch. Is there a fuse for the pump and if so where is it located at and what number is it. Thanks Al

Last edited:
You can find the owners manual in the "Tech Center" link at the top of the forum here under the year of your model.

It will tell you where the fuses are too.

Also, it's VERY important to have the valve turned back to the proper position BEFORE you try to operate the pump electrically again.

Sorry, I never received a manual with u bought this car.PS I don't hear the pump running at all while engaging the up and down switch. Is there a fuse for the pump and if so where is it located at and what number is it. Thanks Al

Last edited:
"I checked the fuse for the switch and it's good. I can't hear or feel anything at the pump while someone was hitting the down switch. Any help would be appreciated."

Yes, the pump should be energizing whenever the switch is depressed. (Or happy, whatever the case.)

There are two fuses to check at the BCM: #32, #44.

Do you know how to test switches with a multimeter?

Last edited:
Switch

"I checked the fuse for the switch and it's good. I can't hear or feel anything at the pump while someone was hitting the down switch. Any help would be appreciated."

Yes, the pump should be energizing whenever the switch is depressed. (Or happy, whatever the case.)

There are two fuses to check at the BCM: #32, #44.

Do you know how to test switches with a multimeter?

How do I take out the switch to check it.

You need to lift the aluminum-clad trim piece that surrounds the shift lever.

Pry the chrome trim ring under the shifter knob down to expose the fastener securing the shifter knob.

Use a T-15 torx driver to loosen the fastener.

Using a trim removal tool, (or a plastic spatula) gently pry the trim piece upwards, starting at the rear sides, working forward to release the clips holding it in place.

Disconnect any electrical connectors if you need more slack. When you flip the trim piece over, you'll see the switch. It removes from the bottom.

This may sound too simplistic: but how is the strength of your battery? When XLR batteries are weak thye cause all sorts of gremlins.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom