Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Wind Buffeting...good grief!!!

I am surprised how much 'wind' there is in this car too. My 67 Corvette convertible is awesome, had it for 22 years and is the first Convertible I had and just figured they would all be that great. My 92 Z28 Camaro convertible and 69 Z28 Convertible proved that. I wouldn't be surprised if there were ever tests done convertible cars the second gen Corvettes would rate to be one of the top cars for 'top down driving': it has to have one of the calmest air envelopes out there.

Anyway, that was reconfirmed today. Went to a car show with the vette this morning: kind of cool today, left home with two sweaters on but just wore one thin sweater on coming home and I was on the 'too warm' side. Half hour later we hopped into the XLR and wore a slightly thinner sweater (as I had been hot) and we were both a bit on the cold side because of the wind. Had a fabulous drive anyway! I love going topless! :D

Planning a road trip to New Hampshire this week to visit friends in the XLR, should be great! :burnout:

Was hoping to get my 68 Vette out this weekend, but ended up watching football about nonstop. :lol: Maybe one day this week. :) (Yes, it's a vert, too.)

I don't think I've done a good job of describing the difference! Maybe your explanation is better. :) The wind hits me from the side in the XLR, so it's a much different feel than in the Vettes.

It's not stopped me from having the top AND the windows down in the XLR, though. :)

Top down, Windows up or down

I have the Plexiglas version with the XLR silhouette. I do like this version.
I complained on another XLR site that the manufacturer should have designed it so that the reflected light would not
occur in the first place rather than the buyer having to alter the installation. I believe it got me censored from the site.
I run with the top down, windows up or down depending if my wife is with me, she prefers not to be wind blown, and
I respect that.
I don't believe windows up or down matters, it's personal choice...
All that said, you are going to be somewhat "wind blown" no matter what you do....It's a convertible

Backdraft Mitigation

I've had convertible Corvettes forever and, I'll admit, laughed at folks (especially in Porsches as it seems they are prone to do this :D) with tops down and windows up!

However, the wind buffeting in the XLR is making me cry uncle! :lol: I've not put the windows up, and don't want to do so, so I'm thinking perhaps a windscreen is the answer.

What do yall have? Pix, please!

TIA
I believe this fabric screen is from GM. A very secure fit with 3 straps per side.
I don't like it at night, especially with the dark Tinted rear window. No headlight glare though.
At cruising speeds I sometimes have windows up even with the top of Rear View door mirrors if it is really blowing. Hat of course.
No worse than '75 and 96 Corvette convertibles or 1963 SS Impala rag top I have owned.
DSCF6051.jpgDSCF6052.jpg

I believe this fabric screen is from GM. A very secure fit with 3 straps per side.
I don't like it at night, especially with the dark Tinted rear window. No headlight glare though.
At cruising speeds I sometimes have windows up even with the top of Rear View door mirrors if it is really blowing. Hat of course.
No worse than '75 and 96 Corvette convertibles or 1963 SS Impala rag top I have owned.
View attachment 5779View attachment 5780

Thanks for the pictures! I might just try that "partially up" windows idea, too, when I'm on the interstate at speed. :)

Does anyone else here find it ironical that there's all this discussion about too much WIND in a CONVERTIBLE?:laugh:

I agree. If its that big of a disturbing factor, trade the XLR in for a CTS coupe

p z

If you lower the Windows about 3" you'll find a happy medium right in around that point where the air passes by and out the side, but I do have a WindRestrictor on Roxy! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443057147.767036.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Did you buy this from him? I'm looking for one if it's not a million bucks. lol If you find you don't like it I'd be interested.

Yes, with t tops off it's like that for sure. There is much less wind buffeting with the top down in my c7 vert, which is why I asked about options for the XLR. I located one of the GM mesh ones a guy is selling. I may try it.

Cool that you and the girlfriend both have convertibles. :)

I agree. If its that big of a disturbing factor, trade the XLR in for a CTS coupe

p z

Three of the three nights this week, ie every night :), I've driven top down. Two were in the XLR. I'm not "disturbed" enough to buy a car that won't drop top! :lol:

Did you buy this from him? I'm looking for one if it's not a million bucks. lol If you find you don't like it I'd be interested.

Yes. I'll let you know how it is. :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back