Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Wind deflector

Just to throw it out there. If you want to duplicate the etched look with a logo you can do it two ways. Cheaper get the reverse cutout of any logo of you choice through a graphic artist or sort. Apply your sticker,tape and mask the rest of the deflector. Then lightly sandblast the sticker area and their you go. More professional way would go to a laser engraver and they can do about anything that's exactly how the high dollar deflectors are done. If you put a flexible led strip along the bottom you'll get the same illuminating effect. IMHO I wouldn't put any emblems on it.

Package Arrived!

The Windblox unit arrived today. I threw it on there and I guess it looks ok. It can move up and down if I pull on it. I'll need to take it for a drive to see it moves while driving.

It also came with these 4 small clear rubber dots. It says to stick them on the roll bars to keep the plastic wind deflector from touching the roll bars. Did anyone put these on? It seems like they would fall off after a while, especially in cold or heat. If not in the cold/heat then when I have the deflector off and am cleaning the hoops.

Not bad looks good. I would think that the dots keep the actual deflector from hitting the roll bar. After awhile the fluttering of the deflector will leave fine scratches where the roll bar rubs. Having the black interior might be better to get some elastic to hold the deflector tighter to the roll bar. Same width as the plastic stuff. Looks good.

The instructions say to put the dots on the roll bars. Putting them on the glass seems like the better place to me and it seems like they would stick better. Can't wait to take it for a drive tomorrow to see how it does.

The Windblox unit arrived today. I threw it on there and I guess it looks ok. It can move up and down if I pull on it. I'll need to take it for a drive to see it moves while driving.

It also came with these 4 small clear rubber dots. It says to stick them on the roll bars to keep the plastic wind deflector from touching the roll bars. Did anyone put these on? It seems like they would fall off after a while, especially in cold or heat. If not in the cold/heat then when I have the deflector off and am cleaning the hoops.

My Windblox has the black straps... they are fabric, not vinyl. They don't have the stretchiness (?) that that the vinyl straps have. Mine doesn't move at all. Maybe after the vinyl straps get warm in the sunlight, you will be able to tighten them up. Mine also didn't come with any rubber dots and haven't seen any problems with scuffing of the rollbar material - but, to be honest, I haven't taken the Windblox off since I installed it... so I haven't checked really close.

wind deflector

I still prefer to have an original black mesh wind deflector

Anyone out there know of one for sale?

windscreen

I bought a convertible and I don`t own a windblocker. I drive it with top down when it isn`t raining or snowing so, being bothered by the wind isn`t an issue for me. In fact, the concept of the wind in the cabin means I`m experiencing good weather for a change.:willy_nilly:

Taken it out for a few interstate drives. A+ on wind blocking but not so great on the actual device. The straps "buzz" very loudly at speeds going over around 50mph. I'm going to email the guy and see what he recommends. I assume maybe I need to place them differently or super-man-tighten them down. I'll also ask him about the dots.

Keep an eye out on ebay, they pop up from time to time.....thats where I got my OEM Cadillac mesh windscreen.

BTW....I purchased a Windblox for my Crossfire, and found it to be substandard to most of the plexiglass/Lexan products that are out there. The straps constantly flapped at speeds over 50mph,the plexiglass was very wavy and poorly cut....imho. They did replace it, but I experienced the same results and they did refund my money.
:cool:

Taken it out for a few interstate drives. A+ on wind blocking but not so great on the actual device. The straps "buzz" very loudly at speeds going over around 50mph. I'm going to email the guy and see what he recommends. I assume maybe I need to place them differently or super-man-tighten them down. I'll also ask him about the dots.

I've never had a "buzz" from mine... my guess is the vinyl straps have too much give. Ask them if they will send the fabric straps... mine are black - they match the rollbar color.
As far as placing them differently, mine will only go one place around the rollbars. Mine have slits in the windblox that the straps go through, then tighten around the rollbars.

I have emailed them and hopefully they respond soon. If the black straps are the solution then I would be glad to give them a try.

Mine have slots for the straps to go through as well but they could fasten low around the roll bar to very high around the roll bar. I can easily move it all around even when tight. It did not move while driving though, only the straps buzzed.

Red Noland Cadillac in Colorado Springs ordered my Wind Screen for me. It works great, easy to put on and take off and makes no noise. I think it was $600.00, money well spent. Looks classey and has been on my XLR about 4 years now. It is OME.

I have emailed them and hopefully they respond soon. If the black straps are the solution then I would be glad to give them a try.

Mine have slots for the straps to go through as well but they could fasten low around the roll bar to very high around the roll bar. I can easily move it all around even when tight. It did not move while driving though, only the straps buzzed.

Here's where I have mine fastened... about in the middle of the roll bars. Granted, the windblox will move up and down on the roll bars when the car is not moving, but nothing moved when driving. I've had the XLR up to 120MPH with the top down and no "buzz" or flutter of the straps whatsoever.

If I drove 120 with the top down there would be considerable buzzing and flapping going on........ and it would be coming from the passenger seat. ;)

Yeah, and then there's the pesky matter of that #@$%^&*() siren...

:lol:

Tim

If I drove 120 with the top down there would be considerable buzzing and flapping going on........ and it would be coming from the passenger seat. ;)

Yea... well, the passenger seat did have someone in it at the time - Cindy!!! And no, she wasn't asleep!!! And, surprisingly enough, NOT A WORD. Only thing she said was when I let up, "OK, so... how fast." Maybe she's getting used to my driving????
BTW Madmac... Cindy told me to tell you that there would be none of that when we come see you in July... (OK, not unless she falls asleep anyway)

Busaman said:
Yeah, and then there's the pesky matter of that #@$%^&*() siren...

:lol:

Tim

This was a few weeks ago, first top down drive of the year, on a great two lane highway... smooth & straight as an arrow and you can see forever. No body in sight... especially no #@$%^&*() siren.

Zoom... Zoom... Zoom...

Yea... well, the passenger seat did have someone in it at the time - Cindy!!! And no, she wasn't asleep!!! And, surprisingly enough, NOT A WORD. Only thing she said was when I let up, "OK, so... how fast." Maybe she's getting used to my driving????
BTW Madmac... Cindy told me to tell you that there would be none of that when we come see you in July... (OK, not unless she falls asleep anyway)

This was a few weeks ago, first top down drive of the year, on a great two lane highway... smooth & straight as an arrow and you can see forever. No body in sight... especially no #@$%^&*() siren.

I bet you miss the "good ol' days" when Montana had unlimited daytime speed limits...

Tim

I bet you miss the "good ol' days" when Montana had unlimited daytime speed limits...

Tim

Well, yes and no. I DO miss the speed, although the Highway Patrol did have the option of writing tickets for reckless driving if going over 100. Besides, there were too many drivers who didn't know how to handle the speed. Then there were the drivers with CARS that weren't built for the speed. Either way... the highways ARE much more safe now with an actual speed limit. Although I do tend to push that limit every once in a while :naughty::naughty:, especially if I come across one or the other drivers mentioned above.:blinzel:

Well, yes and no. I DO miss the speed, although the Highway Patrol did have the option of writing tickets for reckless driving if going over 100. Besides, there were too many drivers who didn't know how to handle the speed. Then there were the drivers with CARS that weren't built for the speed. Either way... the highways ARE much more safe now with an actual speed limit. Although I do tend to push that limit every once in a while :naughty::naughty:, especially if I come across one or the other drivers mentioned above.:blinzel:

There is always the HAIR RAISING ADRENALINE RUSH when there is speed limit signs to push passed the speed limit! :pat:
Caddyman Dan

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back