Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Window stuck after door panel removal

Melificent

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Crimson Pearl Red XLR
After searching the forum and successfully removing the door panels, I am not sure I am putting them back on correctly. The passenger window operates, but seems “loose” and driver’s side will not operate at all. I also think I left one of the SEVERAL screws I dropped down the panel in the process.🤨

Hi Mel,
One has to ask: what were you doing with the door panels off? First would be to recover any screws or other fasteners etc that might have fallen in. If a door glass feels loose, possibly its not being 'pinched' adequately by the two bolts, brackets and rubber bits that hold it to the guide mechanism.

If you've had the panels off once, it'll be that much easier to do it a second time, right? :) Maybe open the driver's side to start and 1) find any missing fasteners, and 2) make sure all of the electrical connectors were adequately locked in place. [Removing the speaker is wonderful as that's a massive access point in to the door]

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the driver's door module is the master to the pax door module as the slave. While it may be working to operate the slave, I guess it's possible it may not be able to make its own glass operate properly.

All said, we have to recall: 9 out of 10 electrical problems are a bad connection so it's really critical (-especially- with this car) that every pin of every connector be at least visually inspected carefully. I have a few magnifying lenses and good flashlights to help with that task and they're indeed all very helpful.

HTH!

Gord :thumbsup

Thanks so much, Gord, for responding! My XLR was recently “totaled” due to both tail lights being damaged. Everything else in working condition, and I stumbled upon a SET of working tail lights for $1100!! On OfferUp. Installed those, replaced the bumper and trunk with parts all for less than 5K. Decided to vinyl wrap car to get a unique color and removed door panel to loosen side mirrors. Great advice on speaker, that will give me better access. DD8CE934-B6E4-455D-B7F9-1ABB796DBB42.jpeg

Hi Mel,
One has to ask: what were you doing with the door panels off? First would be to recover any screws or other fasteners etc that might have fallen in. If a door glass feels loose, possibly its not being 'pinched' adequately by the two bolts, brackets and rubber bits that hold it to the guide mechanism.

If you've had the panels off once, it'll be that much easier to do it a second time, right? :) Maybe open the driver's side to start and 1) find any missing fasteners, and 2) make sure all of the electrical connectors were adequately locked in place. [Removing the speaker is wonderful as that's a massive access point in to the door]

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the driver's door module is the master to the pax door module as the slave. While it may be working to operate the slave, I guess it's possible it may not be able to make its own glass operate properly.

All said, we have to recall: 9 out of 10 electrical problems are a bad connection so it's really critical (-especially- with this car) that every pin of every connector be at least visually inspected carefully. I have a few magnifying lenses and good flashlights to help with that task and they're indeed all very helpful.

HTH!

Gord :thumbsup
Just an update, tip on speaker removal was very helpful! The actuator was wedged underneath the window.. for some (really dumb) reason I removed the 3 screws.. After replacing it to the correct position, I made sure by lowering the passenger window to compare since that one was working.
Connected battery and neither window worked. Did not think “re-indexing” would matter as the driver’s side wouldn’t go up or down, but gave it a shot because so many posts say to do it after battery disconnect.
So - both sides now working beautifully! Super happy about this. Now all I need to get working is the trunk latch and I’ll be on the road again. Thanks for all the input!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom