Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Window Tint - unsure what to do!

Zander916

So I have searched around the forums and the web in general for both pictures and comments. There's some info out there but shockingly not a lot unless i just suck at searching.

So I made an appointment for tint but the more I sit on it the more I'm questioning. For one reason.
Occasionally, though I think that yes, it can look a little silly, sometimes speed and/or crosswind dictates that I put the side windows up with the top down. I've read a lot of strong comments on that topic by itself. I don't mind it I guess. If it works.
But with tint added then I'm afraid that it'll look REALLY stupid.

I'm torn because I think the tint would look amazing with the top up.
Plus, I'm at least AS concerned about keeping some heat out, off of my arm. That's also very important to me also. I have 35% all around on my sedan and love it.

What's your thoughts?

I'm contemplating on just leaving it and deal with it.

I got our XLR tinted back in February anticipating summer. Side and folding windows and back glass all got the treatment. Far as driving with the top down and windows up, I could care less about what people think. At 70 mph and above, the windows reduce noise by at least 40%. When we get into town or the speed limit drops, I'll roll the windows down just because.
I really wouldn't worry about it. Do what you want, not if it looks stupid or not

Well I decided to do what you did, which is also on my other car and I love it. 35% all around. It's a good shop with high quality tint.
Thanks for your replies.
Then I have a Volant intake for when it's back home. :D

I think that's about all I'm going to do to it.

So I have searched around the forums and the web in general for both pictures and comments. There's some info out there but shockingly not a lot unless i just suck at searching.

So I made an appointment for tint but the more I sit on it the more I'm questioning. For one reason.
Occasionally, though I think that yes, it can look a little silly, sometimes speed and/or crosswind dictates that I put the side windows up with the top down. I've read a lot of strong comments on that topic by itself. I don't mind it I guess. If it works.
But with tint added then I'm afraid that it'll look REALLY stupid.

I'm torn because I think the tint would look amazing with the top up.
Plus, I'm at least AS concerned about keeping some heat out, off of my arm. That's also very important to me also. I have 35% all around on my sedan and love it.

What's your thoughts?

I'm contemplating on just leaving it and deal with it.

My XLR had tinting when I purchased it. It is the only thing I DON'T like. It is so dark I have to lower the windows to give the #1 driver sign or wave at someone.

It obscures the auto dimming mirror and it is impossible to see out the rear window at night. I don't know the tint Percentage but I think it is Opera Black. A big job to remove it, especially the rear window.

I would be happy with a lighter shade perhaps but I doubt that it is any help to lower cabin temps (likely increases them) and I don't know if it has any UV protective value. With the top down and AC on, wear long sleeves and a tight hat!

Gord.

Down here in my neck of the woods, cars without window tint tend to bake you in the 100[SUP]o [/SUP]summertime. Sure, turning on A/C keeps you cool, but no protection from the sun's rays on the driver's left arm or passenger's right arm. The tint on the windows and rear glass definitely keep the car cooler by at least 20[SUP]o[/SUP], and blocks about 90% UV rays as well, which is good for the interior upholstery. I was wrong on the percentage of light blocking on my cars as Texas law allows only 25% or lighter tint.

Window tint

About two years ago I had mine tinted with a ceramic tint which keeps the inside cooler than conventional film. Not a lot of places carry the ceramic but it sure makes a big difference on very hot days
V Happy

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back