Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Windscreen

TREE MAN

My XLR/V(s)
XENON BLUE/EBONY
Its getting close to that time of year where our tops will be down more often than they are up!

I was wondering if anyone on here had an idea of where I could purchase the GM mesh windscreen with out paying $650 to Cadillac.

I saw one for sale on this forum before for a pretty fair price but as is often the case with my luck it was already sold. I have also found it on a select few places around the internet for $550.

If anyone has any good info on where to find this I would be extremely greatful!

I'll check my cost through GM with my bodyshop discount tomorrow and post tomorrow night.

I bought mine from my Cadillac dealer and paid either 500 or 550, I don't remember for sure which it was. You might want to check with your dealer and let him know Red Noland Cadillac in Colorado Springs ordered mine for that price.

Purchased mine from a forum member for $300.00 slightly used and in excellent condition. They pop up on ebay from time to time.

:cool:

I'd appreciate that Rod!
The only ones I ever found on ebay appear to be re-sellers of GM parts so 550 is the lowest I've seen. I found an AC Delco-like site that advertised 400 but they were sold out.

I'll keep my fingers crossed one pops up in the for sale section of the forum, there always seems to be pretty fair prices between forum members.

I'd appreciate that Rod!
The only ones I ever found on ebay appear to be re-sellers of GM parts so 550 is the lowest I've seen. I found an AC Delco-like site that advertised 400 but they were sold out.

I'll keep my fingers crossed one pops up in the for sale section of the forum, there always seems to be pretty fair prices between forum members.

Checked this morning... no longer available from GM. The parts man said that doesn't surprise him, they usually discontinue accessories relatively quickly after a vehicle is out of production. The GM part number is 19153868.
I did, however, do a google search & came up with this one at $481.25 + shipping: http://gmpartssite.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=297276

You are the man Rod!
I came accross that site a few months ago and couldn't seem to find it thru google since. Now that I have the part # again I will see what else I can turn up but I think that gmpartssite is the best deal I am going to find on a new one.

You are the man Rod!
I came accross that site a few months ago and couldn't seem to find it thru google since. Now that I have the part # again I will see what else I can turn up but I think that gmpartssite is the best deal I am going to find on a new one.

I agree... the next closest I came was $531.25 +shipping. I also did a quick search for "windscreen xlr" on Ebay and came up with several choices. I picked mine up on Ebay for around $60, similar to these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadi...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Best...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Mine works well... some on the forum have said this type of windscreen that velcro to the rollbars shake and rattle in the wind. I have gone 80+ with mine in place without any shaking or noise whatsoever.:dunno::dunno:

from my experience Rod, the windscreen you referenced is essentially the same functionally as the much more expensive ones and gets the job done with out many cons. From there I think its just personal taste, and for some reason I prefer the black mesh over the clear ones. When I google search, the prodominant results are the plexiglass/plastic ones that allow customization with different logos and even lights and I think they are pretty damn cool and a lot better value since the most expensive one is still half the cost of the GM version. I don't know why but I just get more of a traditional and classic roadster feel from the subtle black mesh look.

from my experience Rod, the windscreen you referenced is essentially the same functionally as the much more expensive ones and gets the job done with out many cons. From there I think its just personal taste, and for some reason I prefer the black mesh over the clear ones. When I google search, the prodominant results are the plexiglass/plastic ones that allow customization with different logos and even lights and I think they are pretty damn cool and a lot better value since the most expensive one is still half the cost of the GM version. I don't know why but I just get more of a traditional and classic roadster feel from the subtle black mesh look.

I can see your point... the reason I went with the clear one is I wasn't sure how much the black mesh would restrict the view through the mirror. Having said that... the main drawback I have with the one I have is the reflections in the rear view mirror. But, once I got used to the reflections, it doesn't really bother me, but it does my wife. How about that... another reason to NOT let her drive!!! :chuckle:chuckle:naughty::naughty:

I agree as far as style, most are installing the Plexiglas due to price ( IMO ) I preferred the GM mesh very classy looking without standing out. Found a great buy on Ebay and really does what it's designed to do, works very well. Pix's below of my GM mesh really blends into the XLR and rear visibility is not bad just different :blinzel:

XLRMOB1.jpg

XLRMOB.jpg

XLRMOB2.jpg

I agree as far as style, most are installing the Plexiglas due to price ( IMO ) I preferred the GM mesh very classy looking without standing out. Found a great buy on Ebay and really does what it's designed to do, works very well. Pix's below of my GM mesh really blends into the XLR and rear visibility is not bad just different :blinzel:

Thanks for the pics!! I'd never seen one in place... very classy looking. Maybe I'll start watching for one on EBay...

Thanks for the pics!! I'd never seen one in place... very classy looking. Maybe I'll start watching for one on EBay...

Rod, is half hiemers sitting in? Everytime you have seen my XLR the Windscreen was in place. I guess that says a lot for the windscreen, it is quite and classy, doesn't stand out like it doesn't belong. I love my windscreen and it does do the job it is intended to do.

Rod, is half hiemers sitting in? Everytime you have seen my XLR the Windscreen was in place. I guess that says a lot for the windscreen, it is quite and classy, doesn't stand out like it doesn't belong. I love my windscreen and it does do the job it is intended to do.

Apparently so!!! :confused::confused::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:I remember you having one, but don't remember seeing it. Must blend it so well, it's invisable!!
Besides... that WAS two years ago...

Beautiful pics! I totally agree with the styling.
I was feeling pretty impulsive and love excuses to use my new iPhone so I just bought one from the gm parts site Rod had linked to in his earlier post.
I'll post pics too when it arrives.

Beautiful pics! I totally agree with the styling.
I was feeling pretty impulsive and love excuses to use my new iPhone so I just bought one from the gm parts site Rod had linked to in his earlier post.
I'll post pics too when it arrives.

Cool, TreeMan... glad I could help!!!

I really like the GM mesh unit also, just think it's too pricey. I guess I need to keep my eyes open for a used one.
Bruce

Just my luck!!!

Got an email today explaining to me my money has been refunded and my order has been cancelled! According to "Florence Chevrolet" (Apparently GMpartssite.com uses dealers to ship the products) this part has been "discontinued by General Motors and is no longer available in stock"

I guess its back to my original options, ebay for $550 or hope a used one falls in my lap magically haha

Just my luck!!!

Got an email today explaining to me my money has been refunded and my order has been cancelled! According to "Florence Chevrolet" (Apparently GMpartssite.com uses dealers to ship the products) this part has been "discontinued by General Motors and is no longer available in stock"

I guess its back to my original options, ebay for $550 or hope a used one falls in my lap magically haha

Well... guess we tried, huh?? Good luck on Ebay... just keep watching. Sooner or later, one will come up for less. I know an owner that just got a brand new GM XLR car cover for $125 + shipping...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom