Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Windshield wipers

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
Cadillac installed a new wiper motor about about 8 months ago. I hadn't used them at all since that, until about 5 or 6 days ago, because I don't like to go out in the rain and have no need to.. Well I was out to dinner last night and got caught when it begain to pour while driving home. They only work on high speed, and don'r "park!" I am going to Cadillac because the motor is under warranty, but I don't trust them much, and I am afraid that they will tell me its not the motor, it's something else, and want to charge me a lot of money for something else like the stalk or whatever. My friend has a Lexus, and surprisingly, he has the same problem with his wipers!! If someone give me some input into what the problem I'd sincerely appreciate it!!

Fixed the problem

Cadillac installed a new wiper motor about about 8 months ago. I hadn't used them at all since that, until about 5 or 6 days ago, because I don't like to go out in the rain and have no need to.. Well I was out to dinner last night and got caught when it begain to pour while driving home. They only work on high speed, and don'r "park!" I am going to Cadillac because the motor is under warranty, but I don't trust them much, and I am afraid that they will tell me its not the motor, it's something else, and want to charge me a lot of money for something else like the stalk or whatever. My friend has a Lexus, and surprisingly, he has the same problem with his wipers!! If someone give me some input into what the problem I'd sincerely appreciate it!!

I fixed the problem myself by replacing Relays #45, and #41. They control any windshield activity that is on the wiper stalk., as indicated in the sticker in the fuse box. Cost for the two relays- about $31.00. Relay #42 plays some role too, but those two fixed the problem, and I will research #42 to see what role it plays.

Shring info

Great job and thanks for sharing . Hope we can find this when we have the same problem

Your all welcome to any knowledge that I gain about my XLR; after all that's what this site is all about isn't it??

Windshield wiper problem

I fixed the problem myself by replacing Relays #45, and #41. They control any windshield activity that is on the wiper stalk., as indicated in the sticker in the fuse box. Cost for the two relays- about $31.00. Relay #42 plays some role too, but those two fixed the problem, and I will research #42 to see what role it plays.

#42 is "wiper on/off" relay according to the label on the fuse box lid.

#42 seems to be an on/off relay for the wipers according to fuse box info.

Thank You Steve For The Relay Info , I Have An 05 And Only The High Wiper Works BUT Before I Had The Upper Part Of The Windshield Tint Strip They Worked And The Tint Guy Cut Around The Sensors So Its Not The Tint In The Way, Like A Say They Only Work On High I Checked The Fuses And They Are All Good, Would You Have The Part # For 41 & 45 Relay
Thank You Again
Harley03joe

Part #'s

Thank You Steve For The Relay Info , I Have An 05 And Only The High Wiper Works BUT Before I Had The Upper Part Of The Windshield Tint Strip They Worked And The Tint Guy Cut Around The Sensors So Its Not The Tint In The Way, Like A Say They Only Work On High I Checked The Fuses And They Are All Good, Would You Have The Part # For 41 & 45 Relay
Thank You Again
Harley03joe
No, only have one of the boxes .You don't need them. Go to O'Reilly auto parts and tell them what you need. Tell them you want the two wiper relays. They will look them up.They will ask year and car model (X L R). If you have to have the one # I will tell you it is: B W D engine management technology part R 3109. I think most probably other parts dealers would have them to.P.s. I'd buy #45 and try it at the parts place, if that didn't fix the problem, then buy #41, because I got #41 and still had the problem, so it might just be #45, or a combination of both? My XLR is a 2005 also.

Last edited:
No, only have one of the boxes .You don't need them. Go to O'Reilly auto parts and tell them what you need. Tell them you want the two wiper relays. They will look them up.They will ask year and car model (X L R). If you have to have the one # I will tell you it is: B W D engine management technology part R 3109. I think most probably other parts dealers would have them to.P.s. I'd buy #45 and try it at the parts place, if that didn't fix the problem, then buy #41, because I got #41 and still had the problem, so it might just be #45, or a combination of both? My XLR is a 2005 also.

Well Steve I Replaced All The Relays & Checked All Fuses , And Still Have ONLY HIGH Wiper's
Now What Can I Check Before I Take It To Caddy ??
Thanks
Harley03joe

Steve I Really Screwed Up My Fuse Box With The Relays, Can You Please Take A Good Picture Of Yours So I Can See If My Relays Are In Right And Send It To My Email >> Jjvjjv@aol.com I Got All Kinds Of Crap Going On Now
Thank You Steve
Joe
Harley03joe
P. S. The Dealer Wants $500.00 To Look At It WOW
Please Send Me A Picture Of Yours

Or Anyone With An 05 Please Send Picture Of The Relays In The Fuse Box So I Can See What Goes Where
Thank You All For The Help
Harley03joe

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry