Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR OR SL500

bugsy

Which should I buy and why.Sl500 with 50k miles or 04 XLR same mileage.Same price $20K. Looking at both and up in the air in which way to go. All responses valued..This is not just a poll,I'm asking for reasons for decision....Thanks
I don't like red exterior or cashmere interior on either car...I want silver or maybe black exterior with black or gray interior..I passed on a red/cashmere XLR because of colors.The price was great tough.

Last edited:
The choice

Obviously this is strictly a matter of opinion. I wrestled with the exact same decision before purchasing my 2006. I spent a year looking at both cars, reading reviews from car writers and owners. It just seemed to me the XLR owners were happier and more enthusiastic about their cars. Both cars have their issues, obviously, and can be VERY expensive to repair. Also the availability of parts for the XLR can be a real problem. But when everything works, the XLR is such a pleasure to drive and have. Whereas I see SL500's everywhere, it's very unusual to see another XLR. And people are constantly asking what it is and complementing it. And if they are really interested in it, I,'ll cycle the top up and down. Always brings oohs and ahs. 😁 So make your own decision. Both cars are great, but every time I walk thru the garage and see my baby, I feel like I married a supermodel!

I actually own both a 2004 XLR and an 2009 SL550 (and a Jaguar XK to boot) to rotate for my 60 mile commute to work every day. A great car to drive makes the commute far more pleasant and restful.

While these cars are similar in many respects (V8, retractable hardtop, visually stunning), they have a VERY different feel and driving character. The SL550 is heavier with a lot more engine and a more refined ride. Set on comfort mode it is my favorite when I have to make the two hour drive to go visit a partner. And it gets a fair amount of attention.

On the other hand, the XLR is lighter with a very nice 4.6 liter Northstar that will get up and go, but it feels more aggressive on the road. And it gets a lot more attention at the gas pumps and drive through. People still don't recognize an XLR when they see it and think it's some kind of Vette.

So bottom line I drive the SL550 when I want comfort and the XLR when I want fun. One last perspective - the Jag is light with a very fast throttle response and a less heavy feel than either of the two other cars. It's my only ragtop and a lot noisier on the highway at speed, but the "go to" for twisty mountain roads on fun drives.

You really can't go wrong with either car from my experience. The repair costs have been breathtaking but rare for the time I've owned these beauties and I've never regretted either purchase for one minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

382b33c2ada04ae942e1e9d676858851.jpg
6b0b309e38d483d23d5f852974bad21a.jpg

Very cool.Great looking car stable.Even though we are obviously of opposing color preferences...I would love any of the three in silver or black.Thanks for your response. I'm still looking.

Which should I buy and why.Sl500 with 50k miles or 04 XLR same mileage.Same price $20K. Looking at both and up in the air in which way to go. All responses valued..This is not just a poll,I'm asking for reasons for decision....Thanks
I don't like red exterior or cashmere interior on either car...I want silver or maybe black exterior with black or gray interior..I passed on a red/cashmere XLR because of colors.The price was great tough.

I have an '06 Silver/Black with 57k miles available here in Los Angeles. I am the second owner and the car is super clean...

No used Mercedes for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There must be a good reason why so many used Mercedes coming off 2-3 year leases from the northeastern states are shipped to the SW auto auction (ADESA) in Chandler, AZ to be auctioned off > very few buyers for 'used Mercedes' in that region because of the repair$ needed on those cars. Most of those used Mercedes at the auction clearing house are pumped up with 2 cans of SEAFOAM fuel additive just to make them run smoothly while going into the auction ring for sale. The market for used Mercedes is strong in California/Nevada/Texas = future 'retail' buyers unconcerned with potential problems needing repairs OR they want the viewpoint of prestige driving a Mercedes? The techs at ADESA's service area mentioned that most used Mercedes are P-o-S that in reality need many needed repairs, but they don't make those repairs because they just want those cars to run smooth until sold at the auction time for the least amount of money put into them. How do I know this? For five years I called on the ADESA service area for parts and supplies needed in their operation, while working in the auto parts business. I seen thousands of used Mercedes coming in on transporters from the northeastern states during my five years servicing the ADESA service department area, and after listening to the techs came to the conclusion that used Mercedes are not a good investment. I'm pretty sure that there are many good, used Mercedes out there for sale......but one better do their homework on research beforehand and preferably best to buy directly from the original owner and see how they drove and serviced their car first. Just my opinion :cool:,,, and others may differ :rolleyes:

There must be a good reason why so many used Mercedes coming off 2-3 year leases from the northeastern states are shipped to the SW auto auction (ADESA) in Chandler, AZ to be auctioned off > very few buyers for 'used Mercedes' in that region because of the repair$ needed on those cars. Most of those used Mercedes at the auction clearing house are pumped up with 2 cans of SEAFOAM fuel additive just to make them run smoothly while going into the auction ring for sale. The market for used Mercedes is strong in California/Nevada/Texas = future 'retail' buyers unconcerned with potential problems needing repairs OR they want the viewpoint of prestige driving a Mercedes? The techs at ADESA's service area mentioned that most used Mercedes are P-o-S that in reality need many needed repairs, but they don't make those repairs because they just want those cars to run smooth until sold at the auction time for the least amount of money put into them. How do I know this? For five years I called on the ADESA service area for parts and supplies needed in their operation, while working in the auto parts business. I seen thousands of used Mercedes coming in on transporters from the northeastern states during my five years servicing the ADESA service department area, and after listening to the techs came to the conclusion that used Mercedes are not a good investment. I'm pretty sure that there are many good, used Mercedes out there for sale......but one better do their homework on research beforehand and preferably best to buy directly from the original owner and see how they drove and serviced their car first. Just my opinion :cool:,,, and others may differ :rolleyes:
Very well stated jerz.....

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

Benzes

I have a friend that is a 20 year Benz tech. He said you should not own one unless it is under warranty or you are stupid rich, they always need repairs and he says almost all the repair bills are $1k and go up from there. Also, Mercedes makes special tools for their cars that you cannot get anywhere so if you want to work on them craftsman can't help you. Just an FYI, he had to replace the engine on a 2012 c230, a 2.3L 6 cylinder, that crate engine was $21k !!!!! We were so blown away by that we decided to look up what a V12 AMG twin turbo engine cost, it was $113k! So I ordered two of them.

Having had both. I would go for the XLR. Much heavier ride. Better power more responsive.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

well at least no worries about parts on the sl500

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry