Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR-V Supercharger coolant level inspection

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
Here is the procedure for inspecting & adding coolant to the supercharger's air cooling system;

Thanks Bruce, mine was a little low so I topped it off. Then I started wondering about what do they do for expansion when it gets hot. Is there an expansion tank somewhere or does the air gap on the top at the inspection point serve that purpose?

Thanks Bruce, mine was a little low so I topped it off. Then I started wondering about what do they do for expansion when it gets hot. Is there an expansion tank somewhere or does the air gap on the top at the inspection point serve that purpose?

Yes, that is what the air gap is for. The 4.4 S/C in the STS had a small coolant tank where you could check the fluid level.

What is meant by the "Important" statement "Make sure that ...................... and that the pump is not in the ON position" ?
What is meant by pump being in the ON position. I am not aware of any way to turn off or on the "pump". Whatever that is.

Thanks Cad
Rusty 06 V

Here is the procedure for inspecting & adding coolant to the supercharger's air cooling system;

What is meant by the "Important" statement "Make sure that ...................... and that the pump is not in the ON position" ?
What is meant by pump being in the ON position. I am not aware of any way to turn off or on the "pump". Whatever that is.

Thanks Cad
Rusty 06 V

The pump is on the right or passenger inner fender. The ON position would be with the ignition in the RUN position.

Does anyone know how to check the fluid level? I took the top metal plate off, didn't see any coolant but it's pretty shalllow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know how to check the supercharger coolant level. Took it to Cadillac but who knows if they actually checked it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 XLR-V Cooling System including the Supercharger coolant.

As far as I'm concerned, if it isn't in the Owners Manual, it doesn't have to be checked. If you lose coolant, your Display Instrument Cluster (DIC) will print out a message indicating your coolant is too low. Stop, let the engine cool off, top off the coolant reservoir and take your car in for service as soon as possible. In most cases, your water pump is leaking and needs replacement.

I have owned my 2006 XLR-V since new. Other than having the coolant changed at 50,000 miles, the coolant lever has only required a visual check. At 73,000 miles I received a check coolant level warning on my DIC which resulted in having the water pump replaced.

PTpro,

The supercharger coolant system is separate from the engine coolant system and is a closed system. There are instructions for checking this and adding coolant in the service manuals. If you took it to the dealer to have this done, I'm sure they checked it while doing the other coolant system if you asked them to check it. There is no reservoir like the engine coolant system.

As far as I'm concerned, if it isn't in the Owners Manual, it doesn't have to be checked. If you lose coolant, your Display Instrument Cluster (DIC) will print out a message indicating your coolant is too low. Stop, let the engine cool off, top off the coolant reservoir and take your car in for service as soon as possible. In most cases, your water pump is leaking and needs replacement.

I have owned my 2006 XLR-V since new. Other than having the coolant changed at 50,000 miles, the coolant lever has only required a visual check. At 73,000 miles I received a check coolant level warning on my DIC which resulted in having the water pump replaced.

Supercharger coolant

I noticed Bruce's link has also dissappeared. To check the level you remove the plate on top of the supercharger. If you don't see coolant, then it might only take a tablespoon to bring it up to full. I changed mine last year as I know the coolant in our cars has gotten a bad reputation. To do this procedure I can only recommend doing it if you have or have access to a factory service manual, or take it to a dealer.

Is there a s line that you fill to or just until you see it.
Would it be possible for someone to post the procedure for inspecting and adding coolant?

I noticed Bruce's link has also dissappeared. To check the level you remove the plate on top of the supercharger. If you don't see coolant, then it might only take a tablespoon to bring it up to full. I changed mine last year as I know the coolant in our cars has gotten a bad reputation. To do this procedure I can only recommend doing it if you have or have access to a factory service manual, or take it to a dealer.

Remove you your oil fill cap - remove the composite cover lifting straight up - put your oil fill cap back on - remove the small cover in top of your supercharger and fill with coolant same type as in your radiator only until you can see it

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom