Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Steering column lock?

richardyoo

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Silver XLR-V
I have a question... does your XLR have a steering column lock? In that, once the car is turned off, can you turn the wheel?

I tried turning the wheel on my parked and turned-off 06 XLR-V, and found that I can actually turn the wheel.

When I dug through the service manuals, it says that the steering column lock is only installed for export versions...

So I can't tell if our cars don't have one, or if my car is defective...

So, does your XLR have a steering wheel lock?

Dunno, but I will check my 09 XLR-V and get back to you.

Update... Just checked and the steering does not lock on my car either. I see no real good reason to have the steering locked so I guess cars with the ignition located away from the steering column may not lock. I never checked my C6, but for grins I will next time I have it out.

Dunno, but I will check my 09 XLR-V and get back to you.

Update... Just checked and the steering does not lock on my car either. I see no real good reason to have the steering locked so I guess cars with the ignition located away from the steering column may not lock. I never checked my C6, but for grins I will next time I have it out.

That is so weird... I just tried this in my 05 Yukon Denali, and realized I can turn it as well... when did steering locks become deprecated? :)

Depending on the model,most were removed around '02.

Bruce :wave:

Did that hurt the theft numbers at all? this is something I never knew, I find it totally fascinating... I think its even more shocking that I just never noticed - I mean, I remember when I used to be able to turn a wheel enough so it would click and lock... and somewhere, I stopped noticing it didn't do that anymore... I must be getting old! :D

Darn good thing they don't lock, I turn my car off while driving and put it in neutral after my light shows I have no stabilitrak in order to get it back online. then I restart in neutral. As many times as my light comes on I got tired of stopping the car and shutting it off in order to get the stabilitrak on.:pat:
Depending on the model,most were removed around '02.

Bruce :wave:

Darn good thing they don't lock, I turn my car off while driving and put it in neutral after my light shows I have no stabilitrak in order to get it back online. then I restart in neutral. As many times as my light comes on I got tired of stopping the car and shutting it off in order to get the stabilitrak on.:pat:

what the hell is wrong with your stabilitrak? unfixable?

Here's the fix for the Stabiltrak warining, it's in a connector under the steering wheel.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...Stabilitrak{47}Active+Handling+Message+on+DIC

GM could never fix it and I just live with it but it seems that popboy has a fix which I will bring to their attention when I get in to the dealer if it's still there and not a Smart car dealer.:pat:
what the hell is wrong with your stabilitrak? unfixable?

Thanks for the heads up. I printed it out and will bring it in to my dealer. A little scary shutting down the engine while running at 65 mph and hope you have not shut your steering off to do a restart but I've done restarts in planes so I gave it the old college try.

Thanks for the heads up. I printed it out and will bring it in to my dealer. A little scary shutting down the engine while running at 65 mph and hope you have not shut your steering off to do a restart but I've done restarts in planes so I gave it the old college try.

Guess you are not able to read my sence of humor so I will try another one. Your stabilitrack is all goofed up because of the screw in your fender, the extra once the screw weighs has thrown the balance of the car totally off so you need to put a screw in the right fender to regain the balance of weight and then you won't have any more problems.:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Only on export models.

Just curious, is the steering lock module available to be installed on models not exported? Do you have a part number? Would you have access to installation instructions?
I would like to be able to tow mine on a dolly behind my motorhome; as it is, I would have to tie the steering wheel straight (a real pain). Or maybe I'll just have to let Cindy drive it while I'm driving the motorhome - she'd probably enjoy that. But then again, she'd more than likely beat me to where we are going!!

Just curious, is the steering lock module available to be installed on models not exported? Do you have a part number? Would you have access to installation instructions?
I would like to be able to tow mine on a dolly behind my motorhome; as it is, I would have to tie the steering wheel straight (a real pain). Or maybe I'll just have to let Cindy drive it while I'm driving the motorhome - she'd probably enjoy that. But then again, she'd more than likely beat me to where we are going!!
I would just let Cindy go ahead and drive the X. Maybe she can give you a day start. :chuckle

I would just let Cindy go ahead and drive the X. Maybe she can give you a day start. :chuckle

But then I'll be ALL ALONE in the 36' motorhome... and lonely:(:(. Then again... I'll have ALL the food, not to mention all the beer & wine... hmmm. Maybe 2 days headstart...:chuckle:naughty:

I think it may be... according to the shop manuals it looks like you just install it... you may have to reprogram the BCM with a tech2... but when I scan my own car with a tech2 it looks for the SCLCM and says its missing - so I imagine it must be plug-and-prog-and-play. :)

I think the trick would be to see if the harness is there or not.

I think it may be... according to the shop manuals it looks like you just install it... you may have to reprogram the BCM with a tech2... but when I scan my own car with a tech2 it looks for the SCLCM and says its missing - so I imagine it must be plug-and-prog-and-play. :)

I think the trick would be to see if the harness is there or not.

I just checked the shop manuals myself... looks the the SCLCM installs quite easily... it's the steering column electronic lock that could be tricky. The shop manual says you have to pull the entire steering column. I would imagine that neither the SCLCM or the SCEL are on non-export models. And yes, whether the harness is there or not would be another consideration; guess I wouldn't know until I got into it. The shop manuals also don't show part numbers and when I checked with the dealer here, they show nothing either. I would at least like to get a parts cost to determine whether or not I want to attempt this...

Motor Homes with garage

Well it would be a simple fix to just trade in the motor home for one of the new models that have a built in garage. Just looked at them a few weeks ago. They are running about $500,000.00 but are reduced due to the economy for about half price. Decided I would just rather stay at motels or hotels and enjoy driving the XLR. You can stay a lot of nights and have plenty of money left over to spend in the next several years.:):):)

Well it would be a simple fix to just trade in the motor home for one of the new models that have a built in garage. Just looked at them a few weeks ago. They are running about $500,000.00 but are reduced due to the economy for about half price. Decided I would just rather stay at motels or hotels and enjoy driving the XLR. You can stay a lot of nights and have plenty of money left over to spend in the next several years.:):):)

I've seen those... don't think the XLR would fit. I think they are designed more for the BMW Z-3 size of car. Besides, my motorhome is paid for. And it seems that for the price of motels and eating out all the time (eating out gets expensive), I seem to at least break even paying the extra gas cost. And I have my own bed (that I'm used to)to sleep in...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom