Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! CD Error Message

ECurtis

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004, Xenon Blue XLR
Help Everyone,

The CD player is giving me a message that says "CD Error".

Is there a way that I can correct this? Is it a fuse or do I need to take it to the dealership?

Also one CD is already in the the player and will not eject.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

E Curtis:dunno:

ECurtis,

Need a little more info--is the CD you have one that you recorded or a standard pre-recorded CD you bought. I'm sure you loaded it label side up--correct? Sometimes recorded CD's may stick as it may be thicker than pre-recorded CD's. Have you tried to load anymore CD's after this message? Keep trying to unload the CD you have installed, it may eventually come out. If you have no luck then take it in to the dealer.

Help Everyone,

The CD player is giving me a message that says "CD Error".

Is there a way that I can correct this? Is it a fuse or do I need to take it to the dealership?

I have had this happen in my Lincoln before. It usually happened with CD's that were burned.

ECurtis,

Need a little more info--is the CD you have one that you recorded or a standard pre-recorded CD you bought. I'm sure you loaded it label side up--correct? Sometimes recorded CD's may stick as it may be thicker than pre-recorded CD's. Have you tried to load anymore CD's after this message? Keep trying to unload the CD you have installed, it may eventually come out. If you have no luck then take it in to the dealer.

Cubby558,

The CD is a standard CD purchased at a record shop. I took it to the dealer and they stated that when this happens they replace the entire radio unit. They said that they were going to replace the radio unit. They also said that they send the old units for refurbishment to a local ship who then removes the stuck CD. They said that removal of the stuck CD can take 2-7 weeks because they refurbish the units as needed and they may not get around to it. I gave the dealer the "CD Error" TSB that I found on this site (I have listed it below) and he said that that was not the issue with mine. I still do not know what the issue is, but I am hopeful I will know more when it is taken apart. I will post info on this site.

Unfortuantely, because of my mileage, the radio is no longer covered so it will cost $450.00 for a unit with installation. I will say, that I have had many, many cars with CD players and some for more than (12) years. This is the first time I have head of the CD player eating the CD. When that happened it would not load, unload or play the CD. I did not want to risk another one getting stuct so I did not try to install another CD.

ECurtis:willy_nilly::bash:

Wow!!! $450,,, Maybe look into a after market head unit. Then maybe you could get one with bluetooth and Nav. Then maybe you could get regular updates on the Nav, cause we can't get them now!!

...or try to take it out of the car and to the repair facility yourself and eliminate the middleman.

Another thought - how about if you try to "reboot" the car by taking the "+" cable off the battery for a minute or two? Maybe it will reboot the CD player too (it might be worth a shot)...

...or try to take it out of the car and to the repair facility yourself and eliminate the middleman.

Another thought - how about if you try to "reboot" the car by taking the "+" cable off the battery for a minute or two? Maybe it will reboot the CD player too (it might be worth a shot)...

You want to take off the Neg. cable first, not the positive cable.

Bruce :)

I am having an issue with my CD changer also. If I insert a pre-recorded store bought CD it will play fine....no issues. If I insert a burned CD it will skip and skip :willy_nilly: and eventually not be recognized by the changer and will not throw an error message. Then the next day half of the CD will play and then start skipping again, a few days later and the entire CD will play without a problem. :dunno: Then a few days later the cycle will start all over again. Using the NAV/DVD the burned CD play all the time every time. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Just wanted to get some input before I take it into the dealer.

You might try using one of those cleaner disks--maybe the lens in the unit is dirty causing the skipping. I haven't had any issues with either unit; other than having a Nav disk that wouldn't work--it had a scratch on it.

I had to get my cd changer replaced by the dealer today it's skipping really bad and throwing out "CD ERRORS" so they are replacing it and it should come in the next 2 days. Since it wouldn't even play my store bought cds and the ones I burned before stopped working. I think it's reached it's end.

Will give an update on how the new one is going to play out!

You might try using one of those cleaner disks--maybe the lens in the unit is dirty causing the skipping. I haven't had any issues with either unit; other than having a Nav disk that wouldn't work--it had a scratch on it.

Can those be used....I think I read somewhere in the owners manual that you shouldn't try to use any type of CD cleaner :confused:, I may be wrong. I will check the owners manual again.

I checked my owners manual and saw nothing about not using a CD disk cleaner--perhaps I have a different manual.:dunno: Hopefully Cadillac Tech will see this and can give us better advise.:blinzel:

I entered this into a Cadillac Tech Support site and received an answer back: "If your CD cleaning disk is one that uses a cleaning fluid; use sparingly, as the fluid can ruin the unit. It can however be used in your multi-disk player for cleaning."

Can those be used....I think I read somewhere in the owners manual that you shouldn't try to use any type of CD cleaner :confused:, I may be wrong. I will check the owners manual again.

I had to get my cd changer replaced by the dealer today it's skipping really bad and throwing out "CD ERRORS" so they are replacing it and it should come in the next 2 days. Since it wouldn't even play my store bought cds and the ones I burned before stopped working. I think it's reached it's end.

Will give an update on how the new one is going to play out!

TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I got a brand new unit and it plays all my cd's even my burned ones with NO PROBLEMS!!! The only thing I have noticed thou is when I go into the secret menu and try to press "RUN" it won't allow me to do it no. I guess they have updated the software and the unit since mine was from a 2004. I must say however that my extended warranty has paid 50x over, GM has lost big time with mine but I have GAINED huge from it...All in the end I know for my next car that is new will always have GM Extended Warranty!

Any other solution to this other than replacement?

XLR Newbie here...as in bought mine yesterday (4/28/18). I have a 2007 with 40k miles. Cd changer just is garbage. It will load and eject cds fine, just won't play them. It won't play factory cds, burnt mp3 cds, or burnt music cds...nothing, it errors out every time. I even ran a lens cleaner today and it didn't resolve the issue. Ebay is selling refurbished radios/cd changers for over $1300. I'd replace the factory with an aftermarket one before I do all that but I want to keep the functionality of my controls.

Anyone figure out a home grown remedy on this? With so many complaints on this same issue I see on this forum, it should have been a recall.

Any ideas?
Brian

Added Bluetooth

I had lots of skips with home-burnt cd’s but not factory made ones. I found an audio shop who recommended a Bluetooth add on that allows me to stream music from any device. TranzIt Blue HF. Works great and I’m not tied down to cd’s. Coat was about $175, took about an hour.:cool:

I had lots of skips with home-burnt cd’s but not factory made ones. I found an audio shop who recommended a Bluetooth add on that allows me to stream music from any device. TranzIt Blue HF. Works great and I’m not tied down to cd’s. Coat was about $175, took about an hour.:cool:

Oh I purchased something very similar for $40 at Walmart last night to stream via FM broadcast but with these transmitting devices, you lose some sound quality. Especially when you're in a city and lots of the FM frequencies have traffic on them. Here is what I got, pretty neat for the cost, I at least can now have bluetooth calling. No install required etc. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-...er-with-USB-Port-for-Mobile-Devices/282879374

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom