Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Nick in paint on top

First Robin

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Platinum/Ebony,2011DTS,Platinum Edition White Diamond.
This morning I noticed a nick in the paint on the top on the drivers side. Took it to the dealer and right away they found the problem. I know this has been discussed before but could not find the thread so am going to go over it again. Seems the panel that comes from under the trunk deck sometimes does not lock in place before the trunk deck closes when you put the top down. This lets the bolt nick into the paint on the top. Monday they will fix the problem and send it to the paint shop. James is planning to tighten the nut real good, then cut off the protruding end of the bolt and coat it with the rubber product they dip tools in. Hope it works. First Robin

Prevent nick in paint on top

I had the same issue on my 06 XLR. An easy quick fix is to buy some clear flexible hose (about 3/8" inside diameter), cut a 1/2" piece (just a little longer than the bolt) and slide it over the nut and bolt. This way you don't have to cut any bolts and if it gets too close again the flexible hose should prevent damage of the paint! :blinzel:

I had the same issue on my 06 XLR. An easy quick fix is to buy some clear flexible hose (about 3/8" inside diameter), cut a 1/2" piece (just a little longer than the bolt) and slide it over the nut and bolt. This way you don't have to cut any bolts and if it gets too close again the flexible hose should prevent damage of the paint! :blinzel:

Thanks for the tip, it sounds like it should work.

This is a common problem that doesn't show up until the damage is done, so a little preventive maintenance is good insurance. Hitting any bumps at an appreciable speed with the top stowed can cause it to move and contact the exposed threads.

The (proactive) fix for this is really easy, inexpensive, and quick. With the trunklid open, use a Dremel tool with a metal cutting disk and slice the ends of the threaded stud off, right next to the nut. (They're about 1/4" longer than they need to be. ) If you keep the tool flush and make a clean cut, the threads will be fine and the nuts can easily be removed if necessary. Make sure you mask off the work area so as not to spread any metal dust where you wouldn't want it.

Apply a dab of black plastisol or RTV over the nut, and you're good to go! Peace of mind: Priceless.

It might have taken me all of ten minutes to do this.

CC :wave:

I asked the XLR forum about the marks on the roof on August 28th. Since then I have had the problem repaired and the roof repainted, all under warrantee. As an added precaution they lined the trunk lid bracket (where it was touching the roof) with a plastic piece.
Cadillac told me that if the trunk parition is not set in place properly the roof will not lock down securely, thereby causing the marks.
Hope this helps.

Paulc17

I don't have a chip in the paint on my roof I have a scratch about an inch or so long, could this be the same problem?????????????????:dunno::confused::confused::dunno:

I asked the XLR forum about the marks on the roof on August 28th. Since then I have had the problem repaired and the roof repainted, all under warrantee. As an added precaution they lined the trunk lid bracket (where it was touching the roof) with a plastic piece.
Cadillac told me that if the trunk parition is not set in place properly the roof will not lock down securely, thereby causing the marks.
Hope this helps.

Paulc17

I don't think so.
If you go to Forum; General Discussion; "Help 06 XLR" Paulc17 (about 12 threads down) the thread will explain the problem that has occured with the roof on some XLR's. Bruce also provided a GM Bulletin addressing the problem. Read the entire thread.
Hope it clears up the confusion.
Paulc

A new problem with marks on the top caused when the top is down. Just came back from my dealer, the lining of the tonue cover on both sides is rubbing the top and is plane to see on the paint when the top is up. You can see on the liner where the surface has rubbed off which matches the top where the clear coat has bad rub marks on it so they ordered a new liner. Hopefully the part will be here next week and we can get it fixed and the clear coat buffed out.

Hi Robert,

On my 2006 XLR it wasn't the bolt! If you accurately line up the location of the mark in the roof paint you will recognize that it is a part of the black metal frame (see white arrow in pic attached) above the bolt I thought it was!!! I fixed the problem now and forever hopefully by attaching 2 layers of felt pads (Heavy Duty Felt Pads 1 inch self-stick from Home Depot) onto the frame where the last bolt is located - fits perfect in diameter. To attach the felt pads you have to drill the first filt pad little off center with a 3/8th drill bit to make room for the bolt. The felt pad tower is now higher than the metal edge that causes the nick in the paint!! :)

Hope this will help also in your XLR!

Pete

My problem came from that exact spot. The black paint on the edge of the bracket was worn away from rubbing on the roof panel. After the roof was repainted the dealer lined the edges with a plastic strip.
I like you fix better .

Paul

Hi Robert,

On my 2006 XLR it wasn't the bolt! If you accurately line up the location of the mark in the roof paint you will recognize that it is a part of the black metal frame (see white arrow in pic attached) above the bolt I thought it was!!! I fixed the problem now and forever hopefully by attaching 2 layers of felt pads (Heavy Duty Felt Pads 1 inch self-stick from Home Depot) onto the frame where the last bolt is located - fits perfect in diameter. To attach the felt pads you have to drill the first filt pad little off center with a 3/8th drill bit to make room for the bolt. The felt pad tower is now higher than the metal edge that causes the nick in the paint!! :)

Hope this will help also in your XLR!

The last problem I had has been fixed by my dealer, it was caused by the liner on the tonue cover, they replaced the liner, it was rubbing the top and you could see where the liner material had been rubbed off. They trimmed down the edges of the new liner so it fit up against the tonue better and gave more clearance. Our weather has cleared up so I have been out and about with the top down, will watch it and see if the problem is solved. Thanks for you suggestion.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom