Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

4.6 Northstar oil consumption

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
This is a short history of what caused the oil consumption problems on the Northstar engine.

'93-'95; no problems

'96-'99; the tension of the oil control rings was reduced in an effort to reduce drag on the cylinder walls.

'00-early '03; piston skirts were reduced in an effort to further reduce drag on the cylinder walls.

'04 to current; updated pistons with polymer coated skirts and the top 2 compression ring grooves were moved down. Updated piston rings. Tension was increased on the oil control rings and the second compression ring has a built in step to help removed oil from the cylinder wall.

The updated rings and or pistons (depending on model year) stopped the excessive oil consumption.

I had a 96 and 99 Northstar Cadillacs. Both used about a quart every 1500 miles. Currently have 2 2006 and a 2008 with no oil consumption. I think they finally figured it out.

I had a 96 and 99 Northstar Cadillacs. Both used about a quart every 1500 miles. Currently have 2 2006 and a 2008 with no oil consumption. I think they finally figured it out.

I think you are correct.

Me too. All mine used a quart every 1500. The new one uses none. Thanks Bruce for the reason why. Good to have someone with the Cadillac knowledge you do.

oil

i had a 96 eldorado and used 1 to 2 quarts every 1500 miles had nothing but problems with it. 4 rear main seals and 5 head gaskets in 5 y,ears. but i loved it . now i have a xlr and it burns nothing.

I just had to add another quart to my 05. It happens about every 4000 miles or so. My oil life index is at 55%. No leaks, so it is just using it up. I get the Low Oil Level indicator in the DIC and the dipstick indicates at the bottom of the cross hatched area.

My Warranty is about to go, is there anything I can request from the dealers regarding this issue?

Thanks,
Ben.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry