Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Engine Air Cleaner

paulc17

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR
I was told that changing the standard engine air intake cleaner to a different type would boost performance.
Is this true? And if so what type of air cleaner is it?

I changed my air filters to K&N's adds a bit of a growl to the engine. Changing the entire air intake system will add a bit of performance to our cars, but they are expensive. Volant makes one for our cars and is priced between $350 - $400, but to really get better air flow you will have to modify your grille to allow more air flow. :cool:

Thanks for the information. I'll start with the K&N filters and see how that works out.

Paulc17

I just replaced the stock air filters with two K&N #33-2305 lifetime filters. Don't notice any change in engine sound but the acceleration has definitly improved.

I've replaced the standard filter elements as well, just to ensure I got the best air flow i could with the stock system. As for new intakes, Volant is the only one I've seen. I've heard of performance improvements but usually when coupled with a new exhaust and reprogramming of the car. I've also seen some posts saying that the Mass Air sensor started throwing error codes after changing the intake system, that stopped me in my tracks. I've seen too many questions about the effect and the errors to convince me to make the move (You may want to do a search on this and other forums). I did go with a Corsa exhaust which didn't make a significant change, but its a little peppier and certainly sounds better. I'd like to see others thoughts in this area as well. Good luck.

Most of the Mass Air Sensor problems (codes) come from changing the filters such as K&N--even the Volant intake system; as those filters use an oil on them to trap dust, contaminants etc. If these are too saturated with oil, it gets on the sensor and that causes the problem. I used the K&N filters on my '04 XLR with Corsa exhaust and had no problems. Just make sure when you clean the filters, not to over oil them. I currently have the Volant on my '06 XLR-V and notice a better response, especially with the Mild to Wild unit turned on to open the baffles on the stock exhaust. As soon as I find some extra $$$, I'll be adding the Corsa exhaust to my V as well--love the sound.

I've replaced the standard filter elements as well, just to ensure I got the best air flow i could with the stock system. As for new intakes, Volant is the only one I've seen. I've heard of performance improvements but usually when coupled with a new exhaust and reprogramming of the car. I've also seen some posts saying that the Mass Air sensor started throwing error codes after changing the intake system, that stopped me in my tracks. I've seen too many questions about the effect and the errors to convince me to make the move (You may want to do a search on this and other forums). I did go with a Corsa exhaust which didn't make a significant change, but its a little peppier and certainly sounds better. I'd like to see others thoughts in this area as well. Good luck.

Thanks for the advise. I did buy the K&N cleaner kit. I'll make sure I'm careful with the oil.

mass ais censor

I put a volant air intake and a corsa on "casper" and it coded from the mass air sensor reset it and came on again ,was told that after about 40 cycles it would reset and it did.. I love the sound and response and I get 32 to 34 mpg on the road, that is when i keep my size 11's out of it, but it sounds so good :cool:

Replacing Cabin Air and Other Filters

Good day -

Please provide a list of all of the cabin and other air filters for my 2005 XLR.

Please include their locations, and for each location, the name, preferred
brand and its part number for each one.

Thanks . .

Good day -

Please provide a list of all of the cabin and other air filters for my 2005 XLR.

Thanks . .

Search box in upper right hand corner holds all the answers

Search Box

Search box in upper right hand corner holds all the answers
Hi, Rexster 314 -

Thanks for your reply to my post.

I don't know how to find the "search box in the upper right hand corner."

So, instead, please just send a link to the information I wish to have.

Any auto parts store can look up the AC/Delco parts you are asking about. Since you posted on here, you obviously have a computer. You can also search the internet for the parts. Some may even go out and replace them for you--try Autozone.

Good day -

Thanks . .

It’s also listed in your owner’s manual.
899e1662f1246a282df5111acfa87439.png

It’s also listed in your owner’s manual.
899e1662f1246a282df5111acfa87439.png
Ok folks, so last weekend me and a buddy of mine with much more mechanical knowledge than me changed out the stock air filter system on my 2006 base model XLR with a Volant cold air intake system. The price I paid was $317.00. It was a whole lot easier than we had expected. I had in 2015 replaced the stock filters with Air Raid filters, and really didn't notice much improvement. But now with the Volant system it sure seems to have more acceleration, and the sound is really nice. I can't help thinking that with any stock air intake, even if you change out the filters, the engine is gasping for air because of the inefficient design. The Volant system is a more direct air flow system. I've had no mass air sensor issue yet, and I'll report back on any increase in gas mileage. And by the way, I'll be putting the old system up for sale if anyone needs that.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom