Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Brake pulsing

T

TomC

Problem: sometimes the car pulses when braking. Sometimes a lot sometime a little. I checked the lugs, all are tight. It seem the problem is more than warped rotors. I mean the car really rocks when braking. Anyone else experiencing this and possible fix?????

I have an 05 which had the same issue though not sever. My Cadillac dealer replaced the front rotors and pads, after two days or so the same thing came back, a pulsating pedal. Back to the shop it went to get the rear brakes replaced. After all of the rotors and pads were replaced the brakes were great. Now it squeals when braking. I guess it's either back to the dealer or I do carbon metallic pads myself.

Good luck.

I would agree, it is probably warped rotors. To avoid having squealing brakes when you change them out with new rotors, try ceramic brake pads. I know you can get them in the front pads, but think you can get rears. They also show less brake dust on your rims.

I have an '06 XLR-V and replaced the rotors (more cosmetic than anything) and ceramic pads on the front, and the car is excellent with no squealing problems or pulsing.

I would agree, it is probably warped rotors. To avoid having squealing brakes when you change them out with new rotors, try ceramic brake pads. I know you can get them in the front pads, but think you can get rears. They also show less brake dust on your rims.

I have an '06 XLR-V and replaced the rotors (more cosmetic than anything) and ceramic pads on the front, and the car is excellent with no squealing problems or pulsing.

Kevin,

Did you change out the brakes yourself? Or have a shop do it? I just ordered new rotors and pads and was going to attempt them myself (I'm hoping to clean/paint the calipers at the same time) and was just wondering how difficult it was on the X. I've don't brake jobs, but it has been quite a few years. I thought maybe Devin and I can handle it ourselves.

Any others' thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Kevin,

Did you change out the brakes yourself? Or have a shop do it? I just ordered new rotors and pads and was going to attempt them myself (I'm hoping to clean/paint the calipers at the same time) and was just wondering how difficult it was on the X. I've don't brake jobs, but it has been quite a few years. I thought maybe Devin and I can handle it ourselves.

We took Lola over to Pep Boy's ... a few hundred bucks later and voila' .... they are not that big of a deal. Perfect. :rocker:

I bought new pads & rotors online a couple of years ago and had the calipers powder coated. The brakes have been squeal- and pulsation free ever since!!!!! Most of us have been unhappy with factory rotors and pads (dusty, squealy, vibration); we've all been happy with aftermarket items!

caliper.jpg

Dave,
I actually had the dealer replace them when I got the car from them. When I went to look at it I noticed how rusty looking the rotors were (not the pad surface area) and told them I couldn't live with it looking like that. They ordered the OEM rotors and aftermarket ceramic pads.

Kevin,

I have a squealing problem with the brakes on my 06. It's intermittent but still very annoying when it occurs.

Is the only solution new rotors and pads?:confused:

Same here the brakes on my 06' XLR squealed a bit and were a little mushy. Rotors were replaced with drilled/slotted rotors, Hawk Brake pads all around and lastly Goodridge stainless steel brake lines. The car now stops on a dime effortlessly and with 95% less brake dust.

Sounds like the way to go. I had the calipers painted black. The rotors and pads will be next.
Thanks.

You can get the drilled and slotted rotors along with Hawk High Performance Brake Pads on ebay. If you decide to do this you'll find a great deal.

Speedway:)

OK. Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look on Ebay.

Got mine on ebay also along with the Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines...I think the total cost with S/H was about $600.00,
:cool:

I noticed on the TireRack website that ceramic brake pads don't have as good of a "stopping power" rating as composite pads.
Did you guys, with the ceramic pads, notice any decrease in brake performance?

Got mine on ebay also along with the Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines...I think the total cost with S/H was about $600.00,
:cool:

Shopping for drilled & slotted rotors is very confusing. They seem to range from about $100 to $500 each.
What brand did you buy?:confused:

I think I'm going to go with Baer Decelarotors and EBC Redstuff pads.. They're a little high end but if I'm going to do the work I want it to be an upgrade and not a downgrade from the original equipment.

Rotors, pads and ss lines total about $750.00.

If I may.... I recommend painting the rotors before installation. Be sure to do the vanes as well, since they'll show (see my earlier pic on this post).

Yes, you're right. I had them removed and painted a high gloss black last month.:)

Baur Decelorator Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Pads and Goodridge ss brake line.:rocker:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom