Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

What kind of mods have you done to your XLR?

What type of modifications have you made to your XLR?

• Chassis and Suspension

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Cosmetic

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • Engine

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Exhaust

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Interior

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
What kind of mods have you done to your XLR and what have the results been?

Had Corsa exhaust put on which improved the appearance and the sound is awsome. Had a Crome License Plate holder on the back have 3 inch crome letters XLR. Had a Ipod wiring connector installed in thwe center compartment which is fantastic. I am going to soon replace the seat covers. Also installed a rear sway bar.

Its difficult to do much with this car because its already so cool and beautiful. The other problem is theres not a whole lot of after market products like there is for the vette.

Speedway

I added the V Rear Sway bar - noticed better handling, no loss in ride.

I love the Corsa exhaust - a bit more punch... but LOVE the sound. Quiet at cruizing speeds - but you notice me when I jump on the throttle.

Added the Cold Air Intake - a bit more power... and better gas mileage.

Replaced my wheels with black C6 wheels - and painted my grill black.

Motorized front license plate holder.

Drilled/slotted rotors and had the calipers powdercoated a copper color.

Upgraded my fog lights to HID.

Also have the Windrestrictor - with the brake light option... nice touch... classy.

Thats all - so far. :rocker:

Pioneer Navigation
Added 2 10" Rockford Fosgate subwoofers inside the cabin with a JL audio 1500 watt and 600 watt amp in the trunk.
22" CHROME wheels, low profile Perelli Tires.
Tinted windows 5% in the rear.

when I get back from overseas I'm changing out the grilles and I have a private project I'm thinking about doing lol

Pretty mild mods, I lowered it on stock bushings, added the rear sway bar and changed the wheels.
It's a very nice package right from the factory, and my "mild mannered" car so keeping the mods simple.
Bruce

Installed a rear sway bar, K & N engine air filters, Baur drilled and slotted rotors, EBC ceramic pads, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines and black painted brake calipers.:)

I'm with B Pappy... pretty mild mods. Chrome grille and chrome XLR wheels and rear stabilizer bar. I believe in keeping cars fairly original.

Modification ?

New with the XLR and noticed a couple of the above modifications. What exactly is the "motorized front plate holder" and where can I find one? Also, where have the rear sway bars been sourced from? I have a WindRestrictor with brake light component coming and am looking forward to installing/enjoying it. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new car. Several places offer the motorized front plate holder, Kury Akyn makes a very nice one, just Google it. The rear sway bar is stock GM parts that came on the V, not on base XLRs. There's a thread on the parts required.
Bruce
edit - I see you have the V, so you already have the rear sway bar.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new car. Several places offer the motorized front plate holder, Kury Akyn makes a very nice one, just Google it. The rear sway bar is stock GM parts that came on the V, not on base XLRs. There's a thread on the parts required.
Bruce
edit - I see you have the V, so you already have the rear sway bar.

Thanks, b_pappy! Just realized that I already had the sway bar! I currently have the big plastic plate holder up front, but the videos of the motorized brackets are pretty cool... perhaps a future project. Thanks for the reply!

The remote retractable license plate holder can be found here:

http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retractable-License-Plate-Holder-400EU-p/400eu.htm

The rear sway bar parts list here:

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2624&highlight=rear+sway

New with the XLR and noticed a couple of the above modifications. What exactly is the "motorized front plate holder" and where can I find one? Also, where have the rear sway bars been sourced from? I have a WindRestrictor with brake light component coming and am looking forward to installing/enjoying it. Thanks!

Here is a list of mods that I have done so far.

Custom painted engine cover - OEM body color with red accents.

Drilled and slotted rotors, Goodridge SS brake lines, painted calipers with Hawk brake pads.

E&G Classics fine mesh grille upper and lower.

Head lamp upgraded to 6000k pure white with yellow tint over fog lights.

XLR V rear sway bar.

Chrome Z06 wheels with OEM body color center caps.

Mods to come:

Switch out all bulbs to led and can-bus led's.

Illuminated door sills.

Custom cold air intake.

Switch out roll bars to chrome or stainless steel.

Corsa or Magnaflow exhaust.

:cool:

WindRestrictor arrived today! I selected the Cadillac Crest symbol illuminated in red with the brake light module. Looks to be a "sometime this weekend" project for me as I want time to finish what I've started. If someone has installed this and found positive variations to the included instructions, please pass them on!

I'm also anticipating the arrival of a Mild to Wild Exhaust Control by week's end, so that'll probably make my "to-do" list as well. Wish me luck, as I'm not the most nimble-fingered handyman when it comes to electrical wiring. :ugh:

WindRestrictor arrived today! I selected the Cadillac Crest symbol illuminated in red with the brake light module. Looks to be a "sometime this weekend" project for me as I want time to finish what I've started. If someone has installed this and found positive variations to the included instructions, please pass them on!

I'm also anticipating the arrival of a Mild to Wild Exhaust Control by week's end, so that'll probably make my "to-do" list as well. Wish me luck, as I'm not the most nimble-fingered handyman when it comes to electrical wiring. :ugh:

Jeff,

I installed my Windrestrictor myself (with the Brake Light Module) and I really didn't have a problem at all. I felt the instructions were right on and the wiring was very basic. I'm sure that you will be able to get through it in a couple of hours - no need to rush. I just love my Windrestrictor - I have the XLR silhouette in mine - love driving it at night, top down. Good luck in your endevors.

I've installed the two "modifications" anticipated for the weekend! The Mild to Wild Exhaust baffle controller installed and works like a charm. Probably a mere novelty for me at idle, but still a measure of "cool".

The WindRestrictor is experiencing issues. The actual install was not too tuff for the old boy, although it did take the better part of three hours to arrive. Unfortunately, I'm only getting partial illumination (all diodes are lit) across a six inch span on the top when turned on... and no reaction from the brake pedal depression. I'd never used the wiring clamps, but thanks to a You Tube video it became readily apparent how they were used. A double-check of wiring revealed no apparent problems. Dayum!

I have an email in to the WR group, but they appear to keep weekday hours only. Hopefully it will not be a flawed unit and we can rectify.

WindRestrictor provides good customer service! Stephen called today after receiving my email plea for assistance and we walked through the trouble checklist. I had actually performed the install correctly, just hadn't activated the 12V side properly (that and a more sufficient grounding). Product looks GOOD and we'll be taking an evening drive tonight to check her out!

D3 cold air intake and with programmer, windrestrictor. Love the sound and improved low end response. :drool:

Done:
Flowmaster mufflers
Window tint
20" Ruff Racing R943s (staggered)
Removed both badges from rear & the ****ty GM chiclets on the door

Coming soon:
Painted Calipers
Foglight HIDs
Intake
LED bulbs throughout the car

Maybe:
Headlights - (I just want the orange reflectors replaced with clear ones ...maybe angel eyes on the lower bulb)
Debating on tinting my tail lights (My car is already looking like the Batmobile with my rims. Also I dont want to get pulled over for it)
Anybody have a silver one blacked out so I can see what it will look like?

Doubtful:
Wind restrictor (I want to see one in person first)

Flowmaster mufflers, window tint.

Coming soon:
RUFF RACING R43 20"s
Debadge the whole car
Tinted taillights
Angel Eyes on headlights (www.lightwurkz.com) .. awaiting price quote

The angel eyes or halo lenses will be a nice touch, please keep us posted.
:cool:

Coming soon:
Debadge the whole car

It sounds like our cars are going to look a lot alike!! A very clean look!!

I also want to debadge mine, I think we are stuck with the taillight and grille emblem. I cannot find any options, unless I can get something custom made.

let me know how all your upgrades go!!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back