Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top oil

mtrocket

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red Jewel XLR
Just wondering if the hydraulic oil for the top is a special oil or if any hydraulic oil will work?
thanks

Yes, There is a special top oil. I will get you the part #

Bruce :)
Hi Bruce,
my XLR is a 2004 and I never had any problems with my top do this hydr. oil need to be changed???

Hans

Hi Bruce,
my XLR is a 2004 and I never had any problems with my top do this hydr. oil need to be changed???

Hans

One of my hoses sprung a leak... and I'm sure I will need to replenish oil after I replace it. According to the service manual, "the system is self-bleeding and the oil picks up carbon black from the numerous O-rings used in the system. The carbon black acts like a dye, darkening the fluid considerably and giving it a black appearance. This is a normal occurrence and no repair attempts should be performed, as replacement will also darken".

One of my hoses sprung a leak... and I'm sure I will need to replenish oil after I replace it. According to the service manual, "the system is self-bleeding and the oil picks up carbon black from the numerous O-rings used in the system. The carbon black acts like a dye, darkening the fluid considerably and giving it a black appearance. This is a normal occurrence and no repair attempts should be performed, as replacement will also darken".
Oh, now I see why you asked for this!!!

Hans

Interesting about the o-rings dyeing the oil; never heard of that before and I've dealt with o-rings for a long time!

When my top hydraulic pump/manifold was replaced, the oil was the same color in both --kind of an Alaskan Amber color to it. I bet it made a total mess of your interior Scott; how did you clean it up?!!

:wave: CC

Hey CC, did you mean Rod - not Scott?

Interesting about the o-rings dyeing the oil; never heard of that before and I've dealt with o-rings for a long time!

When my top hydraulic pump/manifold was replaced, the oil was the same color in both --kind of an Alaskan Amber color to it. I bet it made a total mess of your interior Scott; how did you clean it up?!!

:wave: CC

Actually, the hose only leaks when the top is all the way up. Then it squirts for about 1/4 second when the header is latching, and toward the rear window. Only the rear window and shelf are getting squirted. I haven't cleaned anything yet; waiting until I get the hose replaced. I may have to take it to a detailer if my cleaners don't do the job sufficiently.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom