Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

06 XLR - Did I make a mistake???

Should have taken the headlights and tail lights off an XLR in Cali and shown up at the corvette release and tried to embarras GM... "I bought a $100,000 GM halo car 10 years ago and can't get it fixed" on the side.

Excellent post, in my opinion :thumbsup

Hi, lots of luck with your new car. I bought an '05 in March and also didn't know about the lack of available headlights or taillights. I have other cars even older and wouldn't have that problem if I needed them so didn't think about it when I purchased the XLR.
A lot of postings on here keep me so nervous about owning or using this car but I love the car. Just curious but almost afraid to ask if you don't mind the cost of the repair ?
Again , best of luck with the new car. Thanks , Brad

Hey bikemanbrad, the repair for the light cost me $700. I dont have it back yet but most people here have validated him so that is why I went with him. Travis and Vettetronics also told me that he only has enough parts to do so many of these lights and he is hoping to make it another year. So I will probably have him do the right side as well. I did pick up another passenger side light off ebay to use until the light comes back. It was cracked and had two LED lights out. But honestly it doesnt look too bad cant notice the crack unless your really looking up close, so it will do until I get mine back. Got it for $700. I really like the car so I dont mind investing in it. Just makes me more attached to the car. I just got it out of the shop yesterday. Put Corsa Exhaust on it, cold air intake, painted the calipers, and did some paint work on the front lights. Good luck with yours. Hope your lights are working fine.

Swanny 1, My car in California sits outside and has been caught in rainstorms a few times. I always dry the trunk the minute it stops raining and I don't open the trunk til it's dry. I have also put a layer of plastic in the trunk over the opening to the motor etc. I don't know what that's worth but I have had no issues yet. I stopped using a car cover as it stained my paint.
John F.

This is great information. I will definitely be doing the same.

So far my lights are O.K. Is it just the lack of parts when they do go bad or do they also go bad more than other cars ?
I had thought about the cold air intake but on this site, many people said it caused warning lights to come on , etc. so was afraid to do it.
What about tires, do you have run-flats ?
Thanks Again, Brad

Welcome! : )

Welcome to The XLR Site. Yes, the light asemblies on these cars are most certainly an 'expensive issue' should they need to be replaced as is the Module For The Top in the trunk. These potential issues 'come with the territory' on these beautiful cars. Yet, to me the uniqueness over rides these concerns.

Again, Welcome To The XLR Site! :wave:

Welcome to our world of XLR’s and the problems that canes with them ! I purchased my 05 in March of 2011 with 53k and now she (Roxy) has 101K love our car but don’t know how long I can afford to drive her! Sorry to hear you’re having problems, but hopefully you can get them worked out d can enjoy some top down driving! Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dan, : )

Presently 'Gold Beauty' has been a bit shunted off to the side as I have taken a deep dive into The Eldorado Convertible. We do cruise in The XLR occasionally. Yet The Eldorado having just 'sat' for approximately 20+ years needs, and has lots of work required. Mostly from seals and bushings just having dry rotted. As you are aware, I pretty much do all my own work. Why? Because I usually don't trust others to do it right or perfectly. In fairness, Production Shops just cannot take the time to be as 'anal' as I am. Ex., just finished rebuilding the whole fuel system, New MPFI Injectors, new lines, new fuel pump (external high pressure), new Injector Electrical Caps. etc. Polished the fuel rail until the steel shined like a mirror, and then High Temp Clear Coated it before re-assembly. Looks great.

The biggest issue? Getting parts. Just a huge hassle on this car. Worse than The XLR situation. In many cases I have had to make parts myself, and or custom fabricate mounting brackets due to changed designs. Ex., OEM fuel pump not available 'anywhere'. So had to use an AirTek and build a custom made mounting bracket. Shop drawings to scale, weld it up, grind the welds, drill, tap threaded holes, sand, then prime and paint, etc. --- Presently cannot find or get the Safety Lock Retainer Clips for the injectors to the steel fuel rail. The OEM ones are old and brittle and just break when trying to reinstall them. So have ordered the newer style G.M. ones hoping they will work? --- After this will rebuild the whole front end. Yup, everything. Also will have to pull and rebuild the transmission as the clutches dried out from just sitting so long. Lots of goop in the pan. Then tear down the engine and will 'tweak it' with a Lunati RV Roller Cam. Retro Roller Hyd. Lifters and new High Compression Heads with slightly larger valves and polished and ported. Will take compression to around 10.1:1. Presently a "dog" at 8:1 compression.

Then as you are aware, last year I repainted The Driver's side of my truck myself. Turned out great. Well guess what? This past winter (Yes in May of this year) I slid sideways in the ice and snow turning into our driveway coming home, and took out my neighbors split rail fence as I scraped that same side all the way down the fence length. UGH! --- Yes I rebuilt their fence, and called them and confessed at the time. --- Never a dull moment! So, soon, I get to do all that work 'over again', plus some new body work. --- Oh well.

I know you are familiar with this kind of situation, except in my case, I have no one to get my nose out of joint with except myself.

My Best to you and Wendy!

Charles

Question... What about tires, do you have run-flats ?

At time of tire replacement, I went with Bridgestone 'Drive-Guard Runflats'...... smooth ride and peace of mind on long trips. If you never leave your immediate area,,,then I'd say non-runflats will work.

So True!

I remember we sold a new Buick to a customer years ago that had the smallest inperfection in the paint that I have ever seen anyone complain about. It was TINY . i mean. tiny. The color on his car had been giving us a fit to try and match so I kept putting him off for a warranty repair knowing the repair would not be as good as the imperfection. He called almost every day for 2 months. I assured him it would not get worse. Then about a week later the car came in on the hook with the whole front end knocked off. I told him we would do the repair while we had it in the shop and he no longer seemed concerned. Enjoy it. Its a car and will not improve over the years but the little things will be forgotten.

Yup, that's how it works! On my truck I "obsessed" about one microscopic pit in the new paint that I forgot to glaze before I spray painted the driver's side last year and blended the paint. Now after 'marrying' that side to my neighbors split rail fence earlier this year, "suddenly" that microscopic 1/64" pit is no longer an issue. Go figure? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Should have taken the headlights and tail lights off an XLR in Cali and shown up at the corvette release and tried to embarras GM... "I bought a $100,000 GM halo car 10 years ago and can't get it fixed" on the side.

OUCH!

Your car (& mine) has 13 year old rubber seals & gaskets, & those don improve with age. Typically the damage happens when they are just sitting in a soaking rain for a while, like while they’re waiting at a dealership for a new owner. If you’re driving, the water is going to roll off & away from the trunk. If you’re washing, don’t use a pressure washer, and you should be able to check & catch problems before they get bad (in fact, because I’m ridiculous & my XLR is just a weekend driver, I usually wash the top and trunk with rinseless wash just to keep the water risks to a minimum; everything else gets a normal hand wash).

Best place to keep these babies is in a garage. If you can’t do that, focus on keeping the roof and trunk covered with a car cover. Avoid parking with the nose of the car uphill if there’s a chance of rain. No need to freak out about a possible trunk leak, just use a little care & all will be well. Finally, I know at least one person on here figured out how to relocate the “brains” from the bucket in the back to the drivers side of the trunk.

Hi Amy! : ) Hope all is well with you and yours. --- To the Newbies on this site, FYI, this Lady's car is immaculate! As in I mean, 'perfect'. She is a detailing 'Master'. Not kidding here. And I thought I was anal retentive. By comparison, 'NOT'. If you want your ride to look spectacular, pay attention to what she has to say. --- Also such good advice.

Hi Amy! : ) Hope all is well with you and yours. --- To the Newbies on this site, FYI, this Lady's car is immaculate! As in I mean, 'perfect'. She is a detailing 'Master'. Not kidding here. And I thought I was anal retentive. By comparison, 'NOT'. If you want your ride to look spectacular, pay attention to what she has to say. --- Also such good advice.

Hello Charles! Are you guys finally out of snow season? We’re doing well & enjoying summer! And I’m looking forward to you getting that Eldo all fixed up.

Thanks for the compliments! Actually the weather finally cooperated so that I could have Beauty out all weekend, and I got the usual question of “Is that new?” No, Cadillac isn’t producing anything close to this now, it’s 13 years old. “You must baby it” - well, appearance-wise yes but you’ll hear my Corsa blaring when I take off so not everything is babied... :naughty:

Say howdy to Shirley for me!

Hello Charles! Are you guys finally out of snow season? We’re doing well & enjoying summer! And I’m looking forward to you getting that Eldo all fixed up.

Thanks for the compliments! Actually the weather finally cooperated so that I could have Beauty out all weekend, and I got the usual question of “Is that new?” No, Cadillac isn’t producing anything close to this now, it’s 13 years old. “You must baby it” - well, appearance-wise yes but you’ll hear my Corsa blaring when I take off so not everything is babied... :naughty:

Broom Broom Zoom Zoom..Love it Amy! I have a heavy foot too, but it’s more about the noisy sound it makes, that I love too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hi Back Amy. Shirley says Hi back, to you, and high to Mike. :wave: --- Yes, FINALLY we are in Summer. Spring here got cancelled this year by Mother Nature. We were saying somehow (?) we need to try to get her back on her Meds. Not kidding. April, May and June were cancelled. We went from Winter to 4th of July. Brutal Winter this past one here in Colorado. The snow pack was at +180% of normal in the high country the end of May. Since then we have had severe thunderstorms almost every afternoon with white rocks falling out of the sky. Called Hail. :squint: We do keep our vehicles under cover or in the garage and see that they are protected. Usually it's small stuff, but not always. --- Thanks for encouraging me on The Eldo restoration. Definitely a 'work in progress'. FYI, I was wrong about it being a Hess and Eisenhardt Eldorado Convertible. It is more rare than I thought. I found out a few weeks ago, Its a "San Remo Model" by Coach Design, Westlake Village California. One of 7 known left, one of approximately 25 built. The only convertible by them ever done in "Cotillion White". Was exciting to learn this news. :thumbsup So I am being very careful with the restoration, as in "they are only original once". Making sure any necessary mods are if possible, (1) hidden, and (2) tasteful.

Best wishes,
Charles
<strike></strike>

Last edited:
Swanny,,, Buying a aging low production, high dollar model car without going to see it up close and check it out in full.....was your mistake. One shouldn't buy a car over the internet by just looking at pictures and reading the prepared 'positive' description of the vehicle, as the 'seller' probably isn't going to confess to any present or past issues or problems. Regardless if buying from a used car dealer or private owner..... invest in a trip to go see the car in person.
If purchased,,,then drive it home. jmo

p z

I agree with Swanny1....an opinion is just that. I have bought many cars sight unseen, got to know what questions to ask, and get EVERYTHING in writing, I don't think if I've ever been seriously burned by buying a car online, and I have bought many high dollar cars online without ever touching the car. Just bought a 1992 Porsche online 3 days ago and it wont get delivered until next week, My 2009 XLR-V was bought from Arizona (I am in Ohio) a few months ago, and the car is awesome, ...bought an Aston Martin from Los Angeles dealer last year...not a single problem. You do have to do your due diligence, ask for a copy of the title (if its not a dealer), get a Carfax, google the VIN, etc etc, but if you do all that, and you aren't one of those people that think a 10 year old car should be perfect in every way, then you will be fine.....And if you have any questions, I would be happy to run a Carfax for you in the future, or any other advice.

If anyone can answer this even though I'm afraid to hear the answer.
I thought I had no headlight problems but just found out I'm wrong...I never have the car put at night for fear of what I've read on here.
Yet when I've moved the car , I've always checked all the lights. Now one is out so I guess there are no replaceable bulbs only the scary stories of rebuilding.
It is the very small triangular shaped parking light ....so if one is out now. it has to remain that way I assume ?
Thanks for any help, Brad

If anyone can answer this even though I'm afraid to hear the answer.
I thought I had no headlight problems but just found out I'm wrong...I never have the car put at night for fear of what I've read on here.
Yet when I've moved the car , I've always checked all the lights. Now one is out so I guess there are no replaceable bulbs only the scary stories of rebuilding.
It is the very small triangular shaped parking light ....so if one is out now. it has to remain that way I assume ?
Thanks for any help, Brad

No all the bulbs are easily replaceable. The only problem is the outer lens and the inner burning because the upper bulb gets to close and too hot. The headlight removes very simply with the front splash shield in front of the tire getting removed and then 3 10 mm nuts hold the light in.

Hi Back Amy. Shirley says Hi back, to you, and high to Mike. :wave: --- Yes, FINALLY we are in Summer. Spring here got cancelled this year by Mother Nature. We were saying somehow (?) we need to try to get her back on her Meds. Not kidding. April, May and June were cancelled. We went from Winter to 4th of July. Brutal Winter this past one here in Colorado. The snow pack was at +180% of normal in the high country the end of May. Since then we have had severe thunderstorms almost every afternoon with white rocks falling out of the sky. Called Hail. :squint: We do keep our vehicles under cover or in the garage and see that they are protected. Usually it's small stuff, but not always. --- Thanks for encouraging me on The Eldo restoration. Definitely a 'work in progress'. FYI, I was wrong about it being a Hess and Eisenhardt Eldorado Convertible. It is more rare than I thought. I found out a few weeks ago, Its a "San Remo Model" by Coach Design, Westlake Village California. One of 7 known left, one of approximately 25 built. The only convertible by them ever done in "Cotillion White". Was exciting to learn this news. :thumbsup So I am being very careful with the restoration, as in "they are only original once". Making sure any necessary mods are if possible, (1) hidden, and (2) tasteful.

Best wishes,
Charles
<strike></strike>

Hello from St. Louis, MO, Charles! I'm a transplant from CO and still have family there. We rented a cabin up in Idaho Springs last year [Oct] and I was stunned by the water levels at Dillon and Green Mtn Res.! Hundreds of feet low! Hope that 180% extra snowfall helped fill them back up a bit.

Kevin

So I can replace this one? Is it a readily available bulb ?
Thank You, Brad

as stated above all the bulbs in the headlight are easily and cheaply replaced. Take it to a collision shop instead of the dealer service if you want to save 100$ or so and not do it yourself

Hi Kevin.

Yup, Lake Dillon this year is full to over flowing. This year, from droughts in recent past years, to the snowiest wettest winter I think on record? As mentioned before, April May and June were cancelled. Went from winter to Fourth of July. Since, it has been rain, rain and more rain. Lake Dillon and Idaho Springs is a neat place. Truly beautiful.

Best,
Charles

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry