Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Best Exhaust? 2008 model

KatieKaddy

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR Alpine White Edition
What's the best exhaust system that fits the 2008 XLR? Would love to hear some sound videos :thumbsup

I see Corsa makes one, didn't know if any others people tried.

Thanks

Overpriced and screwed up the X pipe design.

Overpriced and screwed up the X pipe design.
why do you feel that way? the ones i see have the pipes welded together to share a crossover. the factory pipe is just a length of pipe to do the crossover ( which makes it more of a balance pipe than a true crossover) .the only true crossover I have seen is the magnaflow. I never bought one of them but have installed the corsa. I am installing a bi mode vette pipe on mine at present. hope it sounds ok. the 4.6 will never sound as good as the ls motor in my opinion even with the exact same exhaust system.

I have had a Corsa system on mine for 7 years and I love it. One of the best features is that the internal baffles are constructed so that it eliminates drone at highway speeds through noise cancellation. Many members on this forum have installed Corsa exhaust systems and report good results. I’m very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The X pipe is too far from the headers and not sized right. The best X pipe is the GM design off a Corvette C6 Z06; they know what they are doing. The front half fits perfectly on an XLR; used around $250. Baffles screw up the exhaust flow. Corsa is for people who can't weld.

The X pipe is too far from the headers and not sized right. The best X pipe is the GM design off a Corvette C6 Z06; they know what they are doing. The front half fits perfectly on an XLR; used around $250. Baffles screw up the exhaust flow. Corsa is for people who can't weld.

Umm...ouch! With all due respect, that's some fairly serious venom you seem to have for the Corsa brand. If I may, did you have a bad experience with them perhaps?

I'd be curious to dyno a cross-pipe that's designed for a 6 to 7 liter GM engine on a 4.6. Visually, sure, it's a more sano design but is it effective / worth the effort versus what Corsa offers in their kit? Location versus the exhaust ports...perhaps something in the way making anything else physically 'real world' impossible? It would be an interesting experiment!

My car happened to arrive with a Corsa cat-back arrangement. No complaints yet, tidy, welding looks fine, sounds very nice and is remarkably tolerable on those long boring drives. Oh...and I can weld! ;)

heres one off a z06 but its the same style as the xlr. Not a crossover but a equalizer balance pipe. wont do anything for power might change the tone a little it looks exactlly like the stock xlr pipe might be a 3 inch instead of 2.5 but that wont help the xlr unless you find headers for it .The manifolds already are the weak spot.
2006-2010 Corvette C6 Z06 7.0 Exhaust H Pipe/ Mid Pipe OEM | eBay

I’ve had Corsa on my base for quite a while. Guy who installed it said it was the best made after market exhaust he’d ever seen (he wasn’t some newbie either). You know it when you get on it! I didn’t want to deal with drone so I didn’t bother with other options - Corsa promises no drone & that is true. We have Billy Boat Fusion exhaust on our V, and while it makes the car sound like a race car, it has drone and that gets oldddd after a while. Some of your choices will depend on how much you care about drone/how much it bothers you.

Drone sucks, but a little drone happens if you want open pipes. ~70 dB (A weighted) is acceptable. Also, Corsa put their resonators in the wrong place; too close to the headers. I never saw Corsa proudly showing off their company XLR; their too busy working with Corvettes. That's were they put their research and development; XLR was an afterthought. I have no beef with Corsa and I have never owned anything Corsa, but I see design flaws.

Billy Boat's a joke, they weren't even trying. All show and no real world practicality. "A lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Shakespeare.

09 Stock X-Pipe.jpg It's not off a Z06; my mistake. Just stock 2009 and later Corvette C6 x-pipe. Used to be a lot cheaper.... but like all things.

I’ve had Corsa on my base for quite a while. Guy who installed it said it was the best made after market exhaust he’d ever seen (he wasn’t some newbie either). You know it when you get on it! I didn’t want to deal with drone so I didn’t bother with other options - Corsa promises no drone & that is true. We have Billy Boat Fusion exhaust on our V, and while it makes the car sound like a race car, it has drone and that gets oldddd after a while. Some of your choices will depend on how much you care about drone/how much it bothers you.

I would have to completely agree with XLRATING on both points. My Corsa's are my favorite add on to my 2005 base XLR. I like my Billy Boats on my 2007 XLR V, but I eventually go nuts, with the drone, especially when driving it with the top up. I have a Mild to Wild switch to make the V even louder - but it is more or less just a toy; to impress the vette owners. LOL. Wish Corsa's offered something for the V's. Corsa is the way to go (if you can still find them). Well worth the money, they look fantastic and no drone. Good luck. :)

Corsa exhaust system: Around $2200 to purchase, another $400 to $500 to install, if you can't do it yourself*. Almost 3K, after the fat lady sings. Yea great, just wonderful....go for it.

Corsa exhaust system: Around $2200 to purchase, another $400 to $500 to install, if you can't do it yourself*. Almost 3K, after the fat lady sings. Yea great, just wonderful....go for it.
Wow - looks like the nastiness in the forum has not improved. Not sure why people have to put down other people's opinion. I had not logged on for several months. When I joined the forum, it was a place to share my admiration for such a unique car - met some amazing people... back in the day. It looks like I have no reason to log back in for another couple of years or so... maybe people might become kinder to one another (LOL - who am I kidding - this place has become quite the venomous pit at times).

By the way, Z1 - I bought my Corsa exhaust for about $1,500 and was charged $80 for install.

See ya's

I second ChicagoDave's sentiment concerning the willingness of some to put down someone for their opinion. Why not if you don't like someone's opinion, voice yours without putting the other person down. The others can then decide what they want to believe. Make this a forum that all owners WANT to participate in!!!

I generally steer clear of responding in any way to negatively on here, but ... My day job involves a lot of dealing with unpleasant people, along with rebuffing arguments and debates. I come on here for camaradarie and enjoyment, not to re-live my job. This smack down type of stuff is just the same as the rest of our society - it can’t just be okay to have or share a different opinion, if you do happen to have a different opinion you must just be a flaming idiot. :(

Anyway, I’m going to continue to heed what I want to on here & ignore junk said in the cybernetic land of anonymity. :) And make every effort to try to have this forum be a place where people want to come and stay, and share their enthusiasm for XLR’s.

Chicago Dave, hope to catch up with you again sooner rather than later in real life! Be careful with COVID.

I second ChicagoDave's sentiment concerning the willingness of some to put down someone for their opinion. Why not if you don't like someone's opinion, voice yours without putting the other person down. The others can then decide what they want to believe. Make this a forum that all owners WANT to participate in!!!
You are correct. Just like the rear sway bar install. I have done 15 or so and never had a customer not like them .If someone does not want to put them on they dont know what they are missing. I had a customer bring a newer25k mile 08 that the was looking at but said it did not ride as well as his 100K mile 05 .I checked it and found one bad mag shock and no rear sway bar. He bought it, I replaced both rear mags and added the sway bar and he was right were he wanted to be. Said the car was great.
I keep sway bar kits in stock if anyone ever wants to try one, I will send it to you and if you dont like it it wont cost you a cent other than taking it off. I will pay postage both ways .( never going to have to pay return) HAHHA)

dave. you say you have the Billy boat on a v? I thought people said they were pretty quite unless you open them up. Do you have the bi mode ones?

dave. you say you have the Billy boat on a v? I thought people said they were pretty quite unless you open them up. Do you have the bi mode ones?

I have bi mode Billy Boats on my 06 V.

I'd originally ordered a set of Magnaflows, but decided I got too much of a kick out of my Mild to Wild to give it up.

I didn't think it was much louder than stock with the baffles closed, my girlfriend immediately thought otherwise. However, she also doesn't complain about any drone on the freeway (though we rarely drive with the top up, so that might be part of it).

With the baffles open/when you step on it, it is crazy loud as intended. I try to make sure to close them back down when I enter my subdivision so my neighbor across the street with the restored '69 Firebird is the one who gets all the dirty looks.

All things considered, I'm glad I went with Billy Boat.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom