Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 04 XLR Won't Start

Slugward

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
Went to start the car and after I got in the car, the whole elect sys went dead. I found a loose battery cable and tightened it. Elect sys is working again; however, I have a solid Theft Deterrent light and Check Enging light that is solid as well. When I press the brake and hit the start button, the elct sys shuts down for a few seconds then come back up. No start though. still have the lights too. The FOB wont lock or unlock the doors either. The only thing the FOB controls is the truck lid. Is there a way to reset this? Now I'm in the battery save mode too. please advise ASAP.

thanks! Walking Home!

It starts!

I replaced both battery cables and gave it a good charge and it still didn't work. I saw a post someplace that you can re-boot the whole system computer but combining the positive and negative cables together for a minute, then wait ten mins to reconnect them to the battery. I did exactly that and the car fired right up. Not sure how it works but it did.

thanks to all.

Now you know how to reboot your XLR.

I've had to do that to mine a few times, but I just disconnect the negative cable for a few minutes.

Remember, you'll have to re-index your windows after you reconnect the battery to get the top to funtion! (Roll your windows down and HOLD the button for a few seconds after they bottom out; then roll them UP and keep holding the button for a few seconds after they hit the top)

I replaced both battery cables and gave it a good charge and it still didn't work. I saw a post someplace that you can re-boot the whole system computer but combining the positive and negative cables together for a minute, then wait ten mins to reconnect them to the battery. I did exactly that and the car fired right up. Not sure how it works but it did.

thanks to all.

I've never heard of holding the plus & neg cable together to reboot. I'm glad that worked for you. Do you still have the original battery? If you replaced the cables, just removing the power should have rebooted the system.

OK, Roger that! I will reindex the windows as soon as the RAIN stops. Thanks again!

I did not change the battery. The original issue was a loose POS cable. Once I got her running, the alternator has done well to give the battery enough of a charge. The key will be if I let it sit a few days and it starts, I'm probably OK. If not, I will buy a new battery. I did notice that for a car so electronically over-engineered, they only gave room for such a DINKY battery. I guess Design Engineers think of batteries as an after thought?? Who knows. Anyway, you guys were helpful and I appreciate it! Keep up the good work.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom