Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

'05 Hood Chrome Question

1BADXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Xenon Blue XLR
I need some help finding a chrome lip for the hood of my '05 xlr. The v-series looks to have indented the hood for the molding. Since mine is not indented im looking for something flush or even if i have to drill a few holes thats fine, either way i would like a piece to fit firmly and look good. I was thinking about just going to a few shops out here and seeing if anyone could do it, its nothing big so it shouldn't be a problem. any help on this would be appreciated.

I found this picture of the base hood with the chrome lip I need... but this is what I need
P4300012.jpg

The grille in this picture is the OEM mesh grille made by E&G Classics for GM. The chrome strip on the hood is affixed with tape and sits on the outside edge of the hood and does not fit into an indented area or channel. You can contact E&G Classics and see if they sell the hood trim strip seperately.

www.egclassicsinc.com

:cool:

Red Noland Cadillac parts department in Colorado Springs ordered mine when they installed the mesh grill for me.

The V-series hoods are not indented for the chrome moulding; it may look like it, but it is not. You should be able to order just that part from gmpartsdirect.com, but you will have to drill holes to mount it.

1BADXLR,

I agree with cubby558 try http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ or your local Cadillac dealership for further information.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

I need some help finding a chrome lip for the hood of my '05 xlr. The v-series looks to have indented the hood for the molding. Since mine is not indented im looking for something flush or even if i have to drill a few holes thats fine, either way i would like a piece to fit firmly and look good. I was thinking about just going to a few shops out here and seeing if anyone could do it, its nothing big so it shouldn't be a problem. any help on this would be appreciated.

I found this picture of the base hood with the chrome lip I need... but this is what I need
P4300012.jpg

The grille in this picture is the OEM mesh grille made by E&G Classics for GM. The chrome strip on the hood is affixed with tape and sits on the outside edge of the hood and does not fit into an indented area or channel. You can contact E&G Classics and see if they sell the hood trim strip seperately.

www.egclassicsinc.com

I called them today, and I should have it in 3-4 days. The piece only cost around $26.00, just hoping its the right one. Thanks XFireXLR for the tip

I called them today, and I should have it in 3-4 days. The piece only cost around $26.00, just hoping its the right one. Thanks XFireXLR for the tip

I hope so too, I was going to purchase my mesh grilled through "gmpartsdirect" but ran across a sale from www.carid.com via eBay during Christmas. The "make an offer" price was $130.00 cheaper than "gmpartsdirect" plus free shipping....couldn't beat it.

Yes... most definately let us know if it is the correct one. I have been thinking about getting one also. Not sure how it will look with the factory base chrome grille, but for only $26, it would be worth it to find out.

well its the only piece im waiting on right now, other than that, im very happy with how my '05 to '09 conversion went. heres some before/after pics.

BEFORE:
SDC10367.jpg

AFTER:
SDC10411.jpg

SDC10422.jpg

SDC10414.jpg

SDC10424.jpg

Hey, right up my alley. I have been thinking of putting the stock '09 grill on mine, but they tell it wont fit. How did the bumper fit, any problems? You can e-mail or PM if you'd like. I actually was more interested the new style egg crate grill, but the bumper looks good too. Very subtle.
Bruce
Bruce4Adams(at)hotmail(dot)com

Hey, right up my alley. I have been thinking of putting the stock '09 grill on mine, but they tell it wont fit. How did the bumper fit, any problems? You can e-mail or PM if you'd like. I actually was more interested the new style egg crate grill, but the bumper looks good too. Very subtle.
Bruce
Bruce4Adams(at)hotmail(dot)com

It actually fits better, look at the stock photo and you can see the bumper sag a little bit under the headlight, yours might not have done this but mine did. the new bumper fits very snug and everything is very sturdy and went in without a hitch. Plenty of stuff you'll need to do the swap but well worth it. Im going to remove the bottom air deflector, the hood does a small bit of movement, and with the new grilles the car gets much more air than needed. Its actually funny to watch the temp gauge fly down when I start moving with all the air coming in; with the grille switch she runs cooler than ever.

The sag was very noticeable once you mentioned it. The finished result looks great.
Bruce

The sag was very noticeable once you mentioned it. The finished result looks great.
Bruce

Thank you, all im waiting on now is the chrome trim piece for the hood lip and a passenger side light, trying to find a deal on one, but you can notice the old light compared to the new one (with the melting issue).

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom