Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

06 In Georgia

Phil105

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR base
Howdy all,
Been wanting an XLR for several years but avoided one due to all the problems I read about. Well, last week I finally decided to take the plunge anyway - the cars are just too damn good looking. Kinda like dealing with a prostitute - you know you shouldn't but sometimes you just can't resist! ha ha

Found an unbelievably clean 06 Gold Mist with 23,000 miles. Wasn't my first choice of color, but car was just too clean to pass on. SO FAR, I've only had one issue, "service stabilitrack" light came on during drive home on day of purchase. Fortunately my local mechanic, a very good one, found that there was a TSB on this problem and installed a clip on a sensor on the steerting column. Problem fixed for now.

Really enjoying the car but still worried about all the glitches that can arise. Sure happy to have found this forum as it looks like there are several on here who can/will be of a lot of help.

Thanks to all. Look forward to chatting with you.

Phil Johnston
Thomaston, Ga 100_1800.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm kind of partial to '06's ;) and you have a somewhat rare color. I haven't had any major problems with mine that I couldn't have left alone (like oil leaks that I had fixed). Honestly, had I found this site first, I might never have gotten a XLR - & what a mistake that would have been! The car is great & the other owners I've met at events through this forum are even better!

Don't know if you realize it but looks like someone put the V wheels on, but without the center caps. Nice looking ride!

Now start piling on some top down miles!

Welcome! I'm kind of partial to '06's ;) and you have a somewhat rare color. I haven't had any major problems with mine that I couldn't have left alone (like oil leaks that I had fixed). Honestly, had I found this site first, I might never have gotten a XLR - & what a mistake that would have been! The car is great & the other owners I've met at events through this forum are even better!

Don't know if you realize it but looks like someone put the V wheels on, but without the center caps. Nice looking ride!

Now start piling on some top down miles!

Well that's good to hear you've had few problems. And you're correct, reading from these forums is what discouraged me from buying earlier! ha ha - but as I said, they're like a good looking prostitute!! :thumbsup This color is growing on me but I'd have preferred black.

I am the one who put the V wheels on and have the correct center caps, but decided to run with these caps instead - the cadillac logo shows better! just a personal preference. I ordered these rims the same day I brought the car home. Look forward to maybe meeting up with some other members at some point. Don't know how many are in Georgia or nearby, but may run in to some of you one day.

Phil

Well that's good to hear you've had few problems. And you're correct, reading from these forums is what discouraged me from buying earlier! ha ha - but as I said, they're like a good looking prostitute!! :thumbsup This color is growing on me but I'd have preferred black.

I am the one who put the V wheels on and have the correct center caps, but decided to run with these caps instead - the cadillac logo shows better! just a personal preference. I ordered these rims the same day I brought the car home. Look forward to maybe meeting up with some other members at some point. Don't know how many are in Georgia or nearby, but may run in to some of you one day.

Phil

Welcome to the group! I reside over to your west in Birmingham. I too recently bought mine and absolutely love her. While there might be a few quirks, they really are great vehicles.

Welcome to the group! I reside over to your west in Birmingham. I too recently bought mine and absolutely love her. While there might be a few quirks, they really are great vehicles.

Thanks Al,

yep, as I said, I have admired these cars for several years - just let all the doom and gloom folks deter me until now. Like anything, there are good ones and bad ones - just hope I got the former and not the latter! One of the main things I like is they are few and far between when it comes to seeing one on the road - not your everyday common 2-seater for sure!

Been researching trying to see if there are any decent aftermarket warranties available for these cars. So far, I have not been made aware of one that doesn't almost force you to court to get satisfaction on a claim. Too many "loopholes".

Thanks Al,

yep, as I said, I have admired these cars for several years - just let all the doom and gloom folks deter me until now. Like anything, there are good ones and bad ones - just hope I got the former and not the latter! One of the main things I like is they are few and far between when it comes to seeing one on the road - not your everyday common 2-seater for sure!

Been researching trying to see if there are any decent aftermarket warranties available for these cars. So far, I have not been made aware of one that doesn't almost force you to court to get satisfaction on a claim. Too many "loopholes".

I think a lot of the doom and gloomers have purchased a vehicle without knowing what they are getting into. First off, it is a hand built experimental vehicle with a production run of approx 16k vehicles over 5 years. As a point of reference, there were approx 164k Corvettes produced during the same period. The production run of the XLR is much closer to that of the Lamborghini Gallardo's 14k produced units. It is a fairly low production vehicle hence the scarcity of parts and cost of labor. There just are not many qualified XLR techs due to the limited number of units produced. It is a highly specialized and advanced vehicle...at its time of production 10 yrs ago. While many XLRs do not have high miles, age is catching up with them. Certain parts, while engineered well, are beginning to fail just with time. The fuel level sensor card being one of those components that is showing weakness with age. I suspect we will begin to see other such parts begin to fail. However, most of us know what we are buying when we get one. We know we will pay more in repairs and TCO (total Cost of Ownership) but for the money, it is a bargain when compared to other handbuilt low production vehicles. I have owned several Jaguar XKs...another handbuilt low production vehicle, and the XLR is a lot more vehicle and has a much lower TCO. When you add in the looks, the comments, the grin on the valet guys face when you pull up, and the quickening of your own pulse every time you push the Start button, I feel the TCO on the XLR is a great deal... YMMV

soft color,,,,

WELCOME to the website Phil .... Gold Mist, haven't seen one that color but sure I would like to have bought that color when new,,,doesn't show the dust.

Low mileage XLR ..... we found our '05 XLR 18 months ago with 23K, and it's been a fabulous car with no problems.

ENJOY the RIDE!

p z

I think a lot of the doom and gloomers have purchased a vehicle without knowing what they are getting into. First off, it is a hand built experimental vehicle with a production run of approx 16k vehicles over 5 years. As a point of reference, there were approx 164k Corvettes produced during the same period. The production run of the XLR is much closer to that of the Lamborghini Gallardo's 14k produced units. It is a fairly low production vehicle hence the scarcity of parts and cost of labor. There just are not many qualified XLR techs due to the limited number of units produced. It is a highly specialized and advanced vehicle...at its time of production 10 yrs ago. While many XLRs do not have high miles, age is catching up with them. Certain parts, while engineered well, are beginning to fail just with time. The fuel level sensor card being one of those components that is showing weakness with age. I suspect we will begin to see other such parts begin to fail. However, most of us know what we are buying when we get one. We know we will pay more in repairs and TCO (total Cost of Ownership) but for the money, it is a bargain when compared to other handbuilt low production vehicles. I have owned several Jaguar XKs...another handbuilt low production vehicle, and the XLR is a lot more vehicle and has a much lower TCO. When you add in the looks, the comments, the grin on the valet guys face when you pull up, and the quickening of your own pulse every time you push the Start button, I feel the TCO on the XLR is a great deal... YMMV

HA - well, I have to say Al, you've not done much to help allay my fears of problems/repairs. Want to buy a really nice 06 Gold Mist?:dunno:

WELCOME to the website Phil .... Gold Mist, haven't seen one that color but sure I would like to have bought that color when new,,,doesn't show the dust.

Low mileage XLR ..... we found our '05 XLR 18 months ago with 23K, and it's been a fabulous car with no problems.

ENJOY the RIDE!

p z

Yep, this color wasn't my first choice, but it is beginning to grow on me - and it will be easy to keep looking clean for sure. Really glad to hear you've had no problems with yours. That's the kind of news I want to hear!!

Welcome to the XLR Net Phil! :thumbsup

Hi Rob - thanks for the welcome. Notice your avatar says "don't have one yet"! After reading Al's post above, I might make you a really good deal on one. ha ha

It's a gorgeous color!

I looked at one here in DFW before I bought mine. I don't do spur of the moment decisions and told the owner I'd call them later. He called me first, soon after I got back home, and said someone else (who was looking after I did) was buying it. The guy had been saying he'd come look for 2 weeks but of course actually showed up right after I left, and he said he'd pay the $1k more that the ad he looked at said.

Anyhow, I said well call me back if it doesn't happen (because I'd decided to get it). Didn't get a call. Bought another car. Then glancing at Craigslist, I see the Gold Mist is posted there now. (I saw it on Cars.Com or some other auto listing site.)

It doesn't have the 09 wheels like yours and mine do, though, and like you, I"d have wanted to add them.

Congrats on your new ride! :beerchug:

It's a gorgeous color!

I looked at one here in DFW before I bought mine. I don't do spur of the moment decisions and told the owner I'd call them later. He called me first, soon after I got back home, and said someone else (who was looking after I did) was buying it. The guy had been saying he'd come look for 2 weeks but of course actually showed up right after I left, and he said he'd pay the $1k more that the ad he looked at said.

Anyhow, I said well call me back if it doesn't happen (because I'd decided to get it). Didn't get a call. Bought another car. Then glancing at Craigslist, I see the Gold Mist is posted there now. (I saw it on Cars.Com or some other auto listing site.)

It doesn't have the 09 wheels like yours and mine do, though, and like you, I"d have wanted to add them.
Congrats on your new ride! :beerchug:

Yes, sounds like you have my kind of luck - but - in this case, I like the color of yours more than this gold mist - though it's beginning to grow on me the more I look at it. Congratulations back to you on your purchase. Now, if only they'll be mostly trouble free for a while - sorta give us a chance to ease into them!!:thumbsup

Howdy all,
Been wanting an XLR for several years but avoided one due to all the problems I read about. Well, last week I finally decided to take the plunge anyway - the cars are just too damn good looking. Kinda like dealing with a prostitute - you know you shouldn't but sometimes you just can't resist! ha ha

Found an unbelievably clean 06 Gold Mist with 23,000 miles. Wasn't my first choice of color, but car was just too clean to pass on. SO FAR, I've only had one issue, "service stabilitrack" light came on during drive home on day of purchase. Fortunately my local mechanic, a very good one, found that there was a TSB on this problem and installed a clip on a sensor on the steerting column. Problem fixed for now.

Really enjoying the car but still worried about all the glitches that can arise. Sure happy to have found this forum as it looks like there are several on here who can/will be of a lot of help.

Thanks to all. Look forward to chatting with you.

Phil Johnston
Thomaston, GaView attachment 5570

Phil,
Welcome to the forum. I didn't find this site until after I bought mine. I'm sort of glad that I didn't because it probably would have scared me away. I have an '04, that doesn't have trunk leaks and various other problems mentioned on this site. Check out the 'top 5 upgrades' in the search. Corsa Exhaust (sport), XLR-V rear sway bar for the base models and powder coated calipers were my choices. Have fun with your new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rob - thanks for the welcome. Notice your avatar says "don't have one yet"! After reading Al's post above, I might make you a really good deal on one. ha ha

I LOVE my XLR and the miles of smiles are worth it all. That being said, I have only owned mine for a few months and have not experienced any real issues either and hope it stays that way :cool:

I LOVE my XLR and the miles of smiles are worth it all. That being said, I have only owned mine for a few months and have not experienced any real issues either and hope it stays that way :cool:

OOOPS - my bad - - - guess I mis-read your avatar. I'm with you on the "issues" thing. Hopefully, as I've read elsewhere, most of the "issues" have been worked out on our cars at this point. Either way, I intend to drive and enjoy mine and I trust you will too. Regardless of what car it is, it can have problems. Concerns with these are finding parts needed to fix them when/if that time arrives. The last run of Tbirds have that same worry - not to mention the exotics.

as the saying goes "Drive it like you stole it"

Phil,
Welcome to the forum. I didn't find this site until after I bought mine. I'm sort of glad that I didn't because it probably would have scared me away. I have an '04, that doesn't have trunk leaks and various other problems mentioned on this site. Check out the 'top 5 upgrades' in the search. Corsa Exhaust (sport), XLR-V rear sway bar for the base models and powder coated calipers were my choices. Have fun with your new ride.

Great news Nerk re: problems! Thanks for the lead on the upgrades - haven't looked into much of that yet.

Hi Phil welcome to the best damn XLR forum on the Internet. You will find a lot of knowledge and expertise information here. Please check the event pages as we usually have a few events every year between spring and fall , meet old and new friends every time. We all love our XLR's and love to show them off, I'm sure as much as you will! So enjoy your topless ride and get out there and Cruz'on . We are from Pennsylvania area and have spring summer and fall before we usually storage them for winter so I hope you enjoy your great ride and enjoy your time topless of course! Awe ours an 05 Light platinum silver and she's name Rox and yes some of us even name our babies!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry