Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hood lift supports ..........Just frustrated

Bill S.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior
Hey

So I'm getting my oil changed on Monday. I'm off; it's a holiday. My hood supports are original and no longer do the job, as of about July 15. So I look at Rock Auto and buy the Hood lifts for an '06 V . ( Strong Arm Lift supports packaging says 6241) not a big deal . They arrive, but I received two different lift supports....different lengths.

Strong Arm Lift support 46241 G-A
Strong Arm Lift support 46241 T-A

Contact Rock Auto; they say send them both back and they'll send the correct ones out. I do and they send me two lift supports. They are both package labeled 6241, just like the last two. These two are identical lengths though.

Unbelievably I think they are wrong AGAIN. The OEM GM supports I am replacing are configured with the black cylinder at the bottom (body side) with the hood up and the chrome shaft up toward the hood side. The ones I got will fit, but the black cylinders are up by the hood side, the chrome shafts down connected to the car body. Seems upside down to me, but that is the way they fit.

What do you all think ?? Is this acceptable ?? Have never seen hood supports configured like this.

Trying to avoid the embarrassment of the broomstick oil change, but guess I got to suck it up and deal with it.

Bill

Last edited:
You are right,, most cars have their hood struts installed in the reverse order, chrome shaft down --- BUT...BUT,

20130914164712 - YouTube

^ > Hood strut install direction on XLR > 20130914164712 - YouTube

^ > I'm not promoting the use of the shaft 'stops' displayed in this video. Video for view example only.

From 10 to 20 years ago in the auto parts business, I would never recommend STRONG ARM hood struts made by Arvin-Meritor Corp. as they seemed to
be always weak and didn't last a long time. Maybe they have improved their lift struts in the recent years, but I can't confirm that.

Personally, I would order the following struts:

MADE BY STABILUS FITS THE HOOD | SG130099
SKU: SG130099-W | MANUFACTURER: STABILUS

$24.90 Each V V V

Cadillac aftermarket parts | Explore Lift Supports Depot Now

lift-supports-depot-logo_1529940992__59245.original.png

1-866-969-5438 Call to verify your needs and ask questions

Hey Zen

Hey thanks..... I've been google image checking and that, I guess, is the new way for installing the lift supports. I'm just over this whole thing and will just install the ones I got.

As a side note.... I had an '83 Eldorado touring coupe and had a variation to the clamp method that the guy used in that video. When the hood supports went in the Eldo, I took the support out of the driver's side and drilled a hole through the shaft ..... attached a ring pin to a small chain and that solved the issue. I thoroughly explained the manner for hood support and how it worked to the guy I sold it two a few years later. Within a month he forgot or something and put a kink in the hood. Really had to have ignored the resistance to have done that . Oh well.

Bill

Hood struts

Bill.

The struts for the hood purchased could be of the after market ones with a different concept that could fit the same but differently.

I have purchased in the past some after market struts that were fitting like the OEM.with the cylinder downward as per the photo

Enclosed is an XLR with the hood opened showing the OEM one installed and the after market ones that i purchased few years ago.... their push on clips fittings were the sames as the OEM, with no problem of installation.

IAN :wave:

A7  kalebxlrv_113[1].jpgA9  sg130099-wb[1].jpg

Hey

So I'm getting my oil changed on Monday. I'm off; it's a holiday. My hood supports are original and no longer do the job, as of about July 15. So I look at Rock Auto and buy the Hood lifts for an '06 V . ( Strong Arm Lift supports packaging says 6241) not a big deal . They arrive, but I received two different lift supports....different lengths.

Strong Arm Lift support 46241 T-A

Contact Rock Auto; they say send them both back and they'll send the correct ones out. I do and they send me two lift supports. They are both package labeled 6241, just like the last two. These two are identical lengths though.

Unbelievably I think they are wrong AGAIN. The OEM GM supports I am replacing are configured with the black cylinder at the bottom (body side) with the hood up and the chrome shaft up toward the hood side. The ones I got will fit, but the black cylinders are up by the hood side, the chrome shafts down connected to the car body. Seems upside down to me, but that is the way they fit.

What do you all think ?? Is this acceptable ?? Have never seen hood supports configured like this.

Trying to avoid the embarrassment of the broomstick oil change, but guess I got to suck it up and deal with it.

Bill
Paint the broom handle black.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry