Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

3M headlight plastic protectant

BeardBros

Seasoned Member
I ran across this 3M Headlight clear coat protectant the other day. I tried it and it works really good, lightens up some hazing and cracking and gives it a UV protectant to stop the crazing of the headlight lens. I am going to do my tail lights too. The P3000 abrasive they talk about in the instructions is just a 3000 grit sandpaper.

IMG_6132.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent product,,

I highly recommend using..... had on my XLR and Corvette

3m clear coat

I ran across this 3M Headlight clear coat protectant the other day. I tried it and it works really good, lightens up some hazing and cracking and gives it a UV protectant to stop the crazing of the headlight lens. I am going to do my tail lights too. The P3000 abrasive they talk about in the instructions is just a 3000 grit sandpaper.

View attachment 7742
Where can it be purchased???

Husky makes, or did make, a head and fog light kit as well. I've got that stuff on my car. Don't know about the 3M stuff, but mine was extra thick, more so than protective film, and has a "cushy" feel to it.

View attachment 7742

Why No Before & After Pics ?
Thanks
Harley03joe

come back in 4 months with photos pleas, that "4x" means instead of one month it may last 4 months before turning yellow as butter.

I bought Xpel brand protection covers for our XLR almost 3 years ago. They fit perfectly and are still crystal clear. I purchased November 15, 2015 and are well worth the money. I'm not sure if they were discontinued but might still be on some store's shelves. Amazon still shows they're available. XPEL Protection

Have Xpel on my XLR now. Was sold on it after putting it on a STS I had - after 5 years on that car & 80,000 miles the Xpel was still in perfect condition, no yellowing etc.

Have Xpel on my XLR now. Was sold on it after putting it on a STS I had - after 5 years on that car & 80,000 miles the Xpel was still in perfect condition, no yellowing etc.

Do You Put Them Over The Headlights That Are Smokey Or Fogging ? Or Do The Lights Have To Be Cleaned Off First ?
Thanks
Harley03joe

I bought Xpel brand protection covers for our XLR almost 3 years ago. They fit perfectly and are still crystal clear. I purchased November 15, 2015 and are well worth the money. I'm not sure if they were discontinued but might still be on some store's shelves. Amazon still shows they're available. XPEL Protection

Same here, used pre-cut XPEL product on two cars. Works great, high quality, still looks like installed yesterday after several years. Catches that fine grit flying in the air and the bugs!

Do You Put Them Over The Headlights That Are Smokey Or Fogging ? Or Do The Lights Have To Be Cleaned Off First ?
Thanks
Harley03joe

I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking, so I’ll give several answers that might cover everything. If your headlights are just dirty, yes, you need to clean them first. If they’re “scuffed” up/damaged (which is what I’m guessing you mean), it would be better to repair that as best you can before putting the Xpel or whatever on. That said, if you have minor scuffing, it will actually cover it up and make the headlight look newer without any repairs. That was the case with my XLR. It had about 40,000 miles when I put Xpel on and so had some minor damage (pitting, etc.). I wasn’t expecting it to make things look so much better but it did.

If you have fogging inside the lens, Xpel isn’t going to do anything for that.

Hope that helps.

those plastic covers will help from road debris and tiny stones but they will not cover up any scratches in the lights.

Rex I Have Both Kits XPEL And 3m Do I Have To Use The 3M First Then Put On XPEL ? And Does It Cover Up The Fog Milky Look ?
Let Me Know OK I Did Clean The Head Lights With light Rubbing Compound Come Out Good I Guess Not Much Milking It Must Be Inside The Light ?
Thank For Any Help
Harley03joe
:patriot:

Husky makes, or did make, a head and fog light kit as well. I've got that stuff on my car. Don't know about the 3M stuff, but mine was extra thick, more so than protective film, and has a "cushy" feel to it.

Rex I Have Both Kits XPEL And 3m Do I Have To Use The 3M First Then Put On XPEL ? And Does It Cover Up The Fog Milky Look ?
Let Me Know OK I Did Clean The Head Lights With light Rubbing Compound Come Out Good I Guess Not Much Milking It Must Be Inside The Light ?
Thank For Any Help
Harley03joe :patriot:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry