Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

4 post life installed (PICS)

C

CADXLR-V

I thought some might be interested in seeing the lift I just installed in my garage. It wokrs great and allows me to park 3 of my vehicles inside!

lift.jpg

Verrrry, verrrry, verrrry cool .....
What was the install like?

Pretty easy, I sat and drank a cup of coffee and watched the guys work on it. :D Seriously, it was a pretty simple. Biggest issue is the weight of the pieces. However, two guys handled it without too much trouble.

I thought of doing this myself with the same two cars. How high is your ceiling? I was also wondering if the garage door would also be a problem. Is your garage of normal depth?

Thanks,
Floyd (BB)

I thought of doing this myself with the same two cars. How high is your ceiling? I was also wondering if the garage door would also be a problem. Is your garage of normal depth?

Thanks,
Floyd (BB)

I had to reconfigure my garage door and buy a new motor that installs on the same wall as the garage door. They also added rails so the door gets pulled up closer to the ceiling. The biggest cost to reconfigure the garage door was the new motor. It was $500 and the railing work cost me another $300, but was well worth it. You could probably shop around and get a better price. I just called the people who installed my door when the house was built and had them do it. The price seemed reasonable so I did not shop around. My garage door opening is 16’, the ceiling height goes from 9’6” up to 9’11” (due to the sloping grade of the garage floor), the inside width of my garage is just over 18’. I have not measured the depth, but it's pretty standard. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Here is a picture of the new motor. Lift or no lift I will always get this kind of motor in the future. It's a much cleaner install and opens up the garage a lot.
Motor.jpg
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp306/armyranger10/Motor.jpg

Wow! That lift is almost as cool as your cars! :cool:

I've never seen a garage door opener like that - I'll bet it's significantly quieter as well.

Much quieter... I had them put new rollers on my door while they were at it and it's now very smooth and quiet. I no longer have a ugly motor hanging right smack in the middle of my garage ceiling with that nasty chain. I talked to the guys about the new motor and asked why it was not more popular because it's obviously a much better choice than the typical one's you see. He said that it was fairly new and more expensive than the traditional openers, but thought that once people find out about them they will start selling more and consequently the price will drop.

I had Wayne Dalton replaced both of my garage doors. The one door had an almost new opener but the other side was older so on that one I bought the new I Drive which is right above the door when it is closed. Nothing over the SRX. I am thinking about having the I Drive installed on the other side so there will be nothing over my XLR. Both are very quite, much more so than the old one that I threw away. I love the I Drive. Wayne Dalton has great doors and have been around for a long time. I find they are more reasonable in cost that any of the other top rated companies and their doors are better. First Robin

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, my ceiling is only 8'6" at the mid-point of the garage, so it's actually a bit lower toward the rear. RATS!!!

Being that yours is all set up can you take a measurement to see if there may be a possibility to squeeze those two cars in my garage? I'm mostly concerned over the overall height.

Thanks a bunch!

Floyd (BB)

I like it.:rocker: I could get 4 more motorcycles in the garage with that. :laugh: Would have to do the same garage door mods you had to do though :(

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, my ceiling is only 8'6" at the mid-point of the garage, so it's actually a bit lower toward the rear. RATS!!!

Being that yours is all set up can you take a measurement to see if there may be a possibility to squeeze those two cars in my garage? I'm mostly concerned over the overall height.

Thanks a bunch!

Floyd (BB)

Sounds like you would be pushing it. I will be happy to take some measurements for you. I recommend that you locate some dealers in your area and have one or two of them come out and survey your garage and tell you what will work or not work. I'll work on getting you some measurements tomorrow.

I like it.:rocker: I could get 4 more motorcycles in the garage with that. :laugh: Would have to do the same garage door mods you had to do though :(

I hear ya, after putting in the lift I showed my wife how it all worked and then pointed out how we could put in another lift right next to this one so I could get another car. For some reason she really did not say anything. Kinda acted like she didn't hear me. :laugh:

Wives have selective hearing, I guess you are still in the learning stages. First Robin:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

The liftmaster 3800!!! That's the door opener that's going into our next house!! I've read that they're great!!

What brand of lift did you buy? Or did I miss that in the posts? A lift is going into the next house to!

I hear ya, after putting in the lift I showed my wife how it all worked and then pointed out how we could put in another lift right next to this one so I could get another car. For some reason she really did not say anything. Kinda acted like she didn't hear me. :laugh:

Oh .... she heard you alright ....:rocket: :lol:

The liftmaster 3800!!! That's the door opener that's going into our next house!! I've read that they're great!!

What brand of lift did you buy? Or did I miss that in the posts? A lift is going into the next house to!

I bought a PROKAR lift model PK84P. All the different brand names I looked at all seemed to be exactly the same. The only difference is the name stuck on the lift. It seems that there is a couple of manufactureres that make the lifts and then sell them to retailers who put their name on the lifts and sell them. Consequently, I would not be concerned with any brand name. Just find one that meets your size needs.

I hope Cubby doesn't read this post. He has been wanting to do that. I know it won't fit on his side. He has an Expedition I don't think it will work with that. He'll be trying to put it on my side. No Cubby. Thanks Cadxlr-v.:laugh::chuckle

Thanks a bunch!

Floyd (BB)

Here's some info and bettere pics. Hope it helps.. In the picture below you can see my C6 on top and from the ceiling to the top of the C6 it is 8". From the bottom of the rail that the C6 is sitting on to the floor is 57.5". The distance from the ceiling all the way to the floor is 9' 8".

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics