Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

6 disc cd changer will not accept discs

My XLR/V(s)
2008 ALPINE WHITE XLR #954
I live about an hours drive north of Tampa Florida. I have a 2008 XLR with a non functioning 6 disc cd changer. It will not accept cd discs. None of the Cadillac dealerships near me can help me. They claim that no parts are available to them and can't direct me to anyone that repairs the changer locally. I checked You-Tube to see if I could repair it myself, but it is a bit too intricate for me to tackle with the little springs and my big fingers. If I could find a replacement unit I might be able to switch out the old non-working one. It doesn't look too difficult to remove, but I would prefer having someone with XLR knowledge of fixing it. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I’ve tried a couple times to load a cd in the cd changer. I do hit load and all it does is make some clicking sound. So I really don’t want to try it anymore. I don’t want to take the chance of loosing one of my cds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radio/CD problem

HI WWXLR

Try to clean the interior device, it is a disc with brushes, it is not expensive for a try.

If that do no work, ask on your local internet google, for a professional radio repairs shop.

A Cadillac dealer is not qualified for that kind of repair, and he can not .
help in getting a repair shop for you.

Best luck.

IAN:wave:

I’ve tried a couple times to load a cd in the cd changer. I do hit load and all it does is make some clicking sound. So I really don’t want to try it anymore. I don’t want to take the chance of loosing one of my cds.

Same here,,,,lost Cds stuck within. Did the Google search,,,found a YouTube take-it-apart video that looked much too complicated for me to attempt. :pat:

You can remove your navigation DVD and use the DVD player to play CD’s. Only issue is you have to be stopped in order for the tilt button to work if you want to put in a different CD.

Just wanted to share my recent experience as I had the same problem with the my 2008 factory CD player. When the ignition was turned on the CD player would cycle thru a few times and then stop.....wouldn't play, eject or load. Tried all the Youtube solutions and nothing worked. I have a friend who is the service manager of a big GM store here in Canada and he told me that I could still order the CD player thru him. Turns out GM Canada uses a company in Calgary, Alberta called York Electronics that is their source. I tried calling them and didn't really get anywhere as it seems they don't really deal directly with the public so I ordered a new (rebuilt) one thru the GM dealer. Net cost wasn't bad (just over $400 Can) but that included having to send back the core to them thru the dealer. There is a guy on Youtube who has 3 min video that shows you how to remove the whole radio/CD unit from an XLR and it has all you need to know. I installed the new one and it works great. If anybody needs any more info please contact me and I will help as much as I can. Mark at mgsullivan@shaw.ca

Thanks to all the repliers. Found a place in Clearwater to replace the unit and it has worked great ever since.

I live about an hours drive north of Tampa Florida. I have a 2008 XLR with a non functioning 6 disc cd changer. It will not accept cd discs. None of the Cadillac dealerships near me can help me. They claim that no parts are available to them and can't direct me to anyone that repairs the changer locally. I checked You-Tube to see if I could repair it myself, but it is a bit too intricate for me to tackle with the little springs and my big fingers. If I could find a replacement unit I might be able to switch out the old non-working one. It doesn't look too difficult to remove, but I would prefer having someone with XLR knowledge of fixing it. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi. I was having the same problem just a couple days ago one I tried was pulling the CD player fuse out. And then putting it back in look at the CD screen. It should say load. After it does take a CD and stick it about 1 inch into the CD player if there’s one in there and it will kick it out. Like there’s none in there by unplugging the fuse, You’re resetting the stereo. Hope this helps

Hi. I was having the same problem just a couple days ago one I tried was pulling the CD player fuse out. And then putting it back in look at the CD screen. It should say load. After it does take a CD and stick it about 1 inch into the CD player if there’s one in there and it will kick it out. Like there’s none in there by unplugging the fuse, You’re resetting the stereo. Hope this helps
By the way the fuse box is under the passenger side floor board just pull the carpet forward and remove the radio CD player fuse

Hey

Just as a side note, it is recommended to NOT use "home made CD's in these units. Dimensionally they just don't function as a professionally made CD does.

Bill

"Found a place in Clearwater to replace the unit and it has worked great ever since"

Willy,
Can you share to help others?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry