Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

A/C condensation overflow tube?????

Jaxrwild

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum
Were does the A/C condensation overflow tube under the car I looked for it see it dripping but can't see it. I think bi may had some dripping in the cabin.

Here’s some info that may help: Check A/C evaporator drain

Basically, look for where the water is dripping outside the car & trace back to the tube.

I can tell you where mine is ... kinda. It drips straight down on the exhaust on the RH side. I hope the engineers didn't do that by design. :rolleyes:

the two you need to clean are at the rear of the fenders where they bolt to the rocker panel. its a big rubber tube about 1-2 inches round and has a friction type slit that opens when it gets full. If its not completely clean you will get water out of the windshield post . You may need to remove the couple of 7mm bolts on the bottom of the fender and one on the splash shield to pull the fender out a bit to get to it. I usually have a fender off when I check them. I think its just forward of the front jack point

the two you need to clean are at the rear of the fenders where they bolt to the rocker panel. its a big rubber tube about 1-2 inches round and has a friction type slit that opens when it gets full. If its not completely clean you will get water out of the windshield post . You may need to remove the couple of 7mm bolts on the bottom of the fender and one on the splash shield to pull the fender out a bit to get to it. I usually have a fender off when I check them. I think its just forward of the front jack point

in the first sentence you said " the two you need to clean" are there two or did you mean tube?

Not unusual,,,

I can tell you where mine is ... kinda. It drips straight down on the exhaust on the RH side.

I hope the engineers didn't do that by design. :rolleyes:

Yes, that is a common design to let the condensate water from the evaporator coil to drain and hit the hot exhaust pipe,,,causing it to evaporate instead of puddleing under the car.

Designed that way to make it less likely to have car owners wonder and worry about what is the puddle of liquid under their cars in high humidity climate areas.

Stay thirsty my friends... XX

Last edited:
Unfortunately his statement has nothing to do with the A/C evaporator drain tube. As stated in other posts it is above the exhaust on the right side and pure zen is right, done that way by design. If you've driven your car on a hot day with the A/C on and stop and get out of the car, you will here the 'sizzle' of the moisture dripping on the exhaust. Keep looking, you'll find it.

in the first sentence you said " the two you need to clean" are there two or did you mean tube?

And still slightly on topic, my XLR began having the moldy odor coming from the vents when we first got the car. I knew what it was, condensate that just didn't make it through the drain tubes. Our 1985 Coupe deVille had the same problem. Fortunately, I found the solution and that was to enable "Afterblow" setting using my then new TECHII. About 15 minutes after turning the ignition off, the a/c blower will initiate and run for about 10 minutes or so. It will evaporate any leftover moisture in the a/c. Haven't had any more problems since doing this mod

there are two tubes one on each side and I am willing to bet that even though you state it has nothing to do with the ac, it has to do wit hthe car leaking. Look into where these two tubes attach and you will see that they area na overflow drain for the cowl and the first overflow for the ac fiberglass ducting inside the car. when the ac drain overflows it will get into the cowl area and then into the two larger tubes before actually getting into the car. If you drive your car with the ac on and see a puddle passenger middle then your ac drain is most likely working. if after a short drive and you stop you see no puddle at all then the ac drain is stopped up. It will then divert to the two tubes on either side before overflowing into the carpet inside

Sliding slightly 'off topic',,,,,

quote by Rex: ",,,, my XLR began having the moldy odor coming from the vents when we first got the car. I knew what it was, condensate that just didn't make it through the drain tubes."

I will not dispute that situation,,,, definitely can happen as Rex explained,, but there could also be an odor coming through the vents from a filthy, choked, never changed, cabin air filter as well. Maybe not a 'mold' odor but an unusual odor none the less. Check the cabin air filter at least once a year.....replace it needed.

I agree. That cabin filter if it gets damp and sits can smell like a baby diaper. and the outside seal around the door is not that great so Just buy you a couple and change them like Zen said at least once a year. more often if you drive a lot in damp humid areas .I get an aftermarket for my Mercedes customers that has a odor fighter in it and it really works.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom